All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. By the way, the UI guidelines going back to Volume I of Inside Macintosh are brilliant. Splittable scroll bars! Intelligent cut and paste (smartly detecting whether to include spaces when cutting text, for example)! Make all dialog boxes modeless! Did anyone at all implement this stuff in 1984? Probably not — Apple’s own software sure didn’t. But it was awesome all the same.
  3. What would be really useful is to rule out a bad CPU or RAM (more likely on-board RAM). My guess is those crap PSU's that came with these caused some kind of stress somewhere. Another observation is my motherboard that does work has a non-working SCSI. Even re-cap didn't fix that. You also notice how the SCSI drives on these were powered through the board? I wonder if a power stress issue exists in that area. Maybe some kind of power short. Because there are so many people with the same sounding issue figures crossed it a fixable issue. My first/next suggestion would be for someone to replace the on-board memory. My board that doesn't work didn't have the best looking modules. Also when there is a bad PSU for long periods of time... ram can get damaged (pretty common I think). Memory on the board is "TI TMS44C256DJ" which can be bought here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-TMS44C256DJ-Dynamic-RAM-Fast-Page-256Kx4-26-Pin-SOJ-New-Quantity-5/251812621170?epid=1863064326&hash=item3aa133ab72:g:0AkAAOSw-W5Uym1J If anyone has a bad board with some better soldering equipment for this kind of job you should give it a shot. I'll buy the ram but this requires a better soldering skill and equipment than I have.
  4. Today
  5. NE555

PM 8500 no boot

true... although I found that clean contacts slide a lot easier
  6. AwkwardPotato

PM 8500 no boot

Also, make sure the processor card has clean contacts and is fully seated in the slot (it takes a lot of force to put in all the way and this got me on my 8500). 8100/8200s don't have processor cards and AFAIK the later 8600/9600 ones aren't compatible.
  7. NE555

PM 8500 no boot

There are some obvious things that come to mind. Like the way the Memory SIMMS is arranged. When I had the memory SIMMS in the wrong order, then exactly what you described would happen. Download the service manual for your Computer and arrange the memory the way it is described there. Actually start with the minimal items back on the Board and see if it comes back on. Also buy a fiberglass pencil and clean the contacts with it. Are the VRAM SIMMS in the right order?
  8. From memory the 1992 edition largely expands on the 1987 material. I couldn’t find the 1987 edition online anywhere, but there is a good subset of the original UI guidelines in Volumes I, IV (covering additions such as hierarchical menus), and V (adding color) of Inside Macintosh, which is freely available online. Of course, the Human Interface Guidelines are more comprehensive.
  9. Yesterday
  10. Does anyone know if there are substantial differences between the 1992 version of this book and earlier versions? I am interested in learning more about the Apple guidelines for B&W Macs,and I’m not sure if the 1992 edition included all the information in the previous editions of this book (1987 or 1988 I think) or if it’s completely reworked for color/System 7. BTW, a PDF of th 1992 edition is on the vintageapple library dor anyone interested.
  11. LaPorta

SE FDHD Restoration

ROMs/IWM work just fine in another, working SE board that I have without issue. If you can, please explain to me how to check chip voltages: each pin to ground? How do I know what each one should be? Also, more practically...how does one do that with the thing hooked up to the rest of the machine? It's not like I have a long-length AB to LB cable.
  12. Crutch

SE/30 startup problems

Sounds like a SCSI issue possibly. Shot in the dark, what happens if you stick a terminator into the SCSI port without the Zip drive? Your internal HD should be terminated but ...
  13. LaPorta

SE FDHD Restoration

Update: get good +12 and +5 V signals from the floppy port where I should be. Testing ROMs next.
  14. tommijazz91

SE/30 startup problems

Hello everyone! My SE/30 has always had a weird problem: if I boot from the internal hard disk, most of the time the system software doesn't load, and the floppy icon appears (as if the HDD took to long to spin). This happens almost every time, maybe it will boot once every 20 times or more, and mostly at cold boot. But if I connect a SCSI Zip drive (even without a cartridge), the Mac boots just fine to System 7.5.5. I have a 8gb hard drive with five partitions, the system folder is in partition 1. Otherwise it's a stock SE/30 that needs recapping (no sound). RAM is 8mb. Anyone knows why this happens? Thanks a lot!
  15. tommijazz91

SE/30 CNET network card

Hello everyone! I hope this is the right place to post this, if not so then I'll remove the post. Some weeks ago I acquired on eBay a PDS network card for my SE/30: it's a CNET Technology CN470E card. Just today I found some time to install it, and TattleTech indeed confirmed some stats about this card: Now, as I have never used network cards before, I would like to know if some you could help me in configuring it and try surfing the web/share files/email, etc. There is an older topic on the forum about this card (https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/55066-anyone-able-to-identify-this-se30-network-card/&tab=comments#comment-584140), but it wasn't completely solved and I hope the drivers included with system 7 are good enough. I have also read the pinned guide to connect the SE/30 to the web, but it confused me quite a bit. I also have lots of (probably) unnecessary things in my system folder. Maybe some of you could tell me if I can delete some control panels/extensions and replace them with more efficient ones. I know it's a real mess, but somehow I feel most of those things are not needed for what I intend to do. I don't have many ways to transfer files to the SE/30: I only have a SCSI Zip drive and a USB Zip drive for my modern PC and Mac. Also: do I need a particular router? A particular Ethernet cable? I'm totally new about this. Thanks a lot! P.S. what does the little lever (on the right side of the card) do?
  16. Dog Cow

ROMBUS - 64 MB flash interface for Mac Plus

Would like one and would cover it on the Mac 512K Blog.
  17. I don’t have an ImageWriter. Any way to print? I’m wondering if I had a direct serial connection to a print server that could handle the printing... maybe I’m dreaming.
  18. LaPorta

SE FDHD Restoration

I did not patch the red trace because it still had good continuity all the way. If you think I should totally bypass it, I could do that. im going to try all of your other suggestions as well. I can try the ROMs in a good MB I have.
  19. waynestewart

6500/275

Good deal. I always liked the 6500. When I had to downsize I mostly got rid of duplicate machines but I kept 2 6500s. Getting a G3 card might be a nice addition.
  20. IIfx

Scored a IIfx lot with extras

The Apple custom ASIC to the left of the Zilog serial controller might be a goner, but fingers crossed you can save this system!
  21. I would think the slightly higher voltage would be OK if you load the system up with expansion cards. The IIfx PSU barely cuts it when you have tons of high power cards installed. .10 over is within tolerances, although kind of on the hot side. Monitor ASIC temps and make sure no chips are burning hot.
  22. gpbonneau

Help identifying display

This display, SHARP LM64P51 has been used for the PowerBook 140 and some 145. You can replace it by the same or by the second model for 145/145B (SHARP LM64P58), but it is paired with the inverter board (find the pair, display + inverter). The CCFL backlight lamp is easy to replace. There is a third model that goes in these PowerBook (140/145/145B): HITACHI LMG5200XTFC (to find with the cables and the inverter)... I agree with bibilit, he problem with them is about capacitors failure. I had several down (bad picture or no picture, just the backlight that displays a blue halo). After changing the capacitors (on the inverter board too), they work very well. Done by bibilit, thanks to him Before and after capacitors replacement : The two SHARP display are very similar, like your picture, but the ref is different. HITACHI model (with cables and inverter board) :
  23. I have not opened the IIfx PS as this is relatively new to me and I don't know if it has been. I will crack it open today if time allows. As to the tester, it is not a top-shelf model but has served fine on my replacements for SE/30, IIsi and IIci power supplies with SeaSonic PS as recapping is not in my skill set.
  24. tried another LCD, I don't think the problem is the LCD , it would be uniform all across. Not just the background.
  25. jimjimx

Classic II over and under volt. Help

I think I’m going to start with the caps and see where the rails are at from there, and probe around to see what’s doing what.. Too bad I don’t have the parts here & now. I think I’ll double the order.
  26. Crutch

(Failed) Conquest

@tokyoracer American services are that same way. They will leave a note and reschedule if they can’t make a delivery that is identified as requiring a signature. This sounds like a delivery person just screwed up.
  27. elbaroni

MacTablet...maybe not.

Fair - a late night whinge is not going to get me any help! It’s a Summagraphics MacTablet. The power plug plug comes off the serial port like so: and its its plug looks like this: I’m now wondering whether it might worked plugged into the little device that comes with a Thunderscan which harvests power from the floppy port. Will have to try that out, but in the meantime — anyone got one of these adaptors?
  28. BadGoldEagle

SE FDHD Restoration

What kind of voltages are you getting around the floppy port? Did you patch the big trace and its via (shown in red in the picture below)? I can't see it on this side of the board, perhaps you patched it from the solder side? If it was, then I would check the voltages on each chip (not the filters of course, they aren't needed for now). If all checks out fine, then I'd take the oscilloscope to the CPU to check if the reset line is not stuck or something... The ROM and/or its socket could also be bad.
  1. Load more activity