travistouchdown

Major Score! 8600 with Sonnet CPU, 3DFX card, Etc

On 1/25/2020 at 8:40 PM, NJRoadfan said:

No dice on finding the card. It must have went with the 8600 when it was disposed of.

Hey thanks for looking!

Tried to Install 9.2.1 with OS9 helper, but no dice, got the old "The version of Mac OS can not be installed over the localized version of Mac OS on the Disk named "Ricks HDD".     Please choose a different destination disk, or perform a clean installation."

Pain in the rear!  Tried disabling extensions and restarting, tried all different languages, International English, Australia, England.   Any ideas? 

That almost sounds like you're trying to install an International English update on top of a North American installation, or vice versa.  The only time I've seen that localization message was when I was using SheepShaver and didn't realize that there was a difference between the two.

I read that much and think this might be the case... the updaters available on Macintosh Garden seem to be International English.

Anyone who were i can find 9.2.1 and .2 North American updaters? 

Found the US English updaters on Macintosh repository.

With the assistance of OS9 helper, updated to 9.2.1, did the old world rom firewire patch, and then updated to 9.2.2.  We are current o OS9!! 

Fun stuff....only took me most of the afternoon in between work items. lol

Debating and need your opinions----should i even bother to put another CD-R drive in this machine?

I have been burning CD's on my mac USB superdrive via IMGBurn on a Win 10 PC.   So i don't NEED to have a CDR/Toast running on here.   

Would you bother?  Or just skip it; toss the dead unit, and cover it up with a blank cover piece to return to the stock look. 

22 minutes ago, travistouchdown said:

Debating and need your opinions----should i even bother to put another CD-R drive in this machine?

I have been burning CD's on my mac USB superdrive via IMGBurn on a Win 10 PC.   So i don't NEED to have a CDR/Toast running on here.   

Would you bother?  Or just skip it; toss the dead unit, and cover it up with a blank cover piece to return to the stock look. 

If I had a 5.25" cutout faceplate and didn't need a CDR in there I would install a MO drive or some kind of tape drive for backups. 

Blank covers from another machine will probably not match the yellowing and stick out. besides you have a much upgraded machine might as well use that bay for something exotic.

If you already have a solution, I would use it. If I need discs, I use my iMac G4 to burn them. I always found OS 9 burning unreliable (just my experience), and using 10.4 with the iMac has given me a better experience.

23 minutes ago, LaPorta said:

If you already have a solution, I would use it. If I need discs, I use my iMac G4 to burn them. I always found OS 9 burning unreliable (just my experience), and using 10.4 with the iMac has given me a better experience.

I've always had pretty good experience with Toast Titanium 5.1, which I think is the last version to support Classic Mac OS.

Another option for optical drives these days is to get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B7XYZO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_T1DmEbW6HR47X

which is a slot loading PATA DVDRW drive.    The supply of 5.25" half height drives seems to have dried up, but these are still available.  Unfortunately, the slim optical drives use their own connector, so one also needs a PATA slimline optical drive to 40 pin adapter.   And some way to mount it.    I like these, but their price bounces around

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007C1KPQY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_23DmEbRJA2GEV

I use this mount for slot loading optical drives, but it also, supposedly, has room for four 2.5" drives.   I shudder when I try to imagine the cabling if one fully packed it.

Two drives can be moderately useful for duplication, but that is hardly "necessary" these days.

I had one of these machines in daily use for years, and loaded it up with varied drives, whereas I only ever really used the stock SCSI 24x CD-ROM, the hard drives (lots of spare bays) and the zip. I suppose one could stick in a burner, but there are faster burners available in later machines. Maybe a CF card reader or the like could be a more useful option.

Thanks guys.  Ordered a "Near Mint" Yamaha SCSI drive, 1 year newer and faster than my dead unit.  Even though i have multiple other ways to burn discs.

I have a disease.....and the only cure is MORE CLASSIC MAC! 

Yamaha SCSI burners used to be so common but they are hard to find these days.  I still have external TEAC SCSI CDR drives connected to my IIfx machines that burn disks just fine, but anything pre OSX you don't want to multitask while burning especially if you are burning from an old SCSI drive on the built in bus. My IIfx's have Jackhammers for the fast OS drives and the burners use the built in bus external connection.

I think a lot of those Yamaha burners died.   They had nice features for the time, but they only seemed to last three to five years, generally.

6 minutes ago, trag said:

I think a lot of those Yamaha burners died.   They had nice features for the time, but they only seemed to last three to five years, generally.

They ran hot as well - most early SCSI CD burners (notably Yamaha) had small fans built in and slightly later ones they removed the fan but kept the vents.  Perhaps this is where the phrase CD "burning" came from.

Hey guys, need to free up a PCI slot for an Ethernet card.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a card like this?

https://www.ebay.com/c/1000220023

Have USB, FireWire, IDE, AND two data ports for a future SSD upgrade.  Any reason it wouldn't be compatible as plug and play with this 8600 running 9.2.2?

Thanks for your input!

10 minutes ago, travistouchdown said:

Hey guys, need to free up a PCI slot for an Ethernet card.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a card like this?

https://www.ebay.com/c/1000220023

Have USB, FireWire, IDE, AND two data ports for a future SSD upgrade.  Any reason it wouldn't be compatible as plug and play with this 8600 running 9.2.2?

Thanks for your input!

My first indication is that the card won't work.

Cheers

AP

Thanks; thats' too bad; with the Firewire you think this card would be made for macs.  Probably for later OSX machines though?

The 1999 SCSI Yamaha drive went in tonight.  Works great; toasted Worms CD game to test it out! 

Played 9 holes of PGA III with it as well.  Sounds strong and healthy :) 

Yamaha99.JPG

That'd be my guess as well without Macintosh driver support listed. But for that price I'd be tempted to try, a card like that will be great in my Win98se machine anyway.

Sonnet TEMPO Trio is a similar card that "should" work fine in your 8600, but hard to find. No SATA though.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

One day we'll have to come across the Sonnet Tempo Trio motherload and all enjoy it's fabulous features, Trash :)  

I'd love the Trio in a TAM - especially when the onboard IDE controller is incredibly picky and I gave up using mSATA SSDs in it.

It's useful having a CD burner in a legacy Mac, especially in helping to resurrect old PowerBooks where you need to burn a Mac OS CD or dump a ton of files over and don't have USB on hand.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:17 PM, travistouchdown said:

Hey guys, need to free up a PCI slot for an Ethernet card.

Perhaps unpopular opinion: Don't bother with an upgrade to faster ethernet. It won't make that big of a difference in System 7/8/9 for day-to-day stuff. Jeremywork has a thread about a nubus 10/100 ethernet card in an 8100/100 and it took an upgrade to G3/500 to get even a little above 10 megabit per second performance.

25 minutes ago, Cory5412 said:

Perhaps unpopular opinion: Don't bother with an upgrade to faster ethernet. It won't make that big of a difference in System 7/8/9 for day-to-day stuff. Jeremywork has a thread about a nubus 10/100 ethernet card in an 8100/100 and it took an upgrade to G3/500 to get even a little above 10 megabit per second performance.

Forgive me for sounding stupid; but will this port work as an ethernet internet/data input?  When i used these machines online BITD online it was through dial-up mostly so forgive me for not knowing. 

I thought this port was for LAN connection only for some reason.  Yeah i'll skip the trouble of a faster card if this will do the trick for light browsing of the Space Jam website :) :

8600 Ethernet.jpg

26 minutes ago, Cory5412 said:

Not only this, but I've done some preliminary testing that shows similar results on 10/100 Farallon CSII cards in 6500 series machines with G3 upgrades. 

I should mention though, that my 9600 with G4 handles it much better- I've seen up to 29Mbps over an Apple 10/100 PCI when moving files to a fast disk (either a Jackhammer UW SCSI card or the Sonnet Tempo Trio) (I'd expect the 8600 would be able to achieve this too.)  If there's enough interest I can test the 9600's 10/100 with stock CPUs.

This aside, the internal port there will let you browse and download about as well as any beige-cased machine can, and without taking up a PCI slot.

Perfect!  One less PCI slot to worry about!  

Still going to keep an eye out for a Trio......seems like a good card to have.   Plus i'll eventually want a SATA card so i can do an HDD and the trio will come in handy then to run a CDR drive from while maintaining USB/Firewire inputs.