• As a child of the Seventies, only one TV-Intro came to mind: 'Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology...' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8   Well done on your conservation effort. I am happy to see people combatting the natural disasters that come with old age. I have a spare LVD SCSI cable that I can contribute, if you are missing one.
    • Wait, I thought you couldn’t swap orange flex cables with normal ones? Does that mean one could theoretically repair M5126 Backlit Portable display cables this way?   Kudos BTW! At least it’ll be sturdier than the original. 
    • This is really nice work.  Well done.
    • Nice work - I admire your patience resoldering that ribbon cable - any further tips, what temp did you have your iron at to get the solder to take on the copper connectors?   The PowerBook 180c is such a nice machine - all that colour, speed and (chunky) portability in the day would have been amazing.  I assume Apple didn't sell too many owing to the initial cost of ownership; the venerable PowerBook 170 would have been the professional 'book of choice more in the day.
    • Boom! Works like a champ. Clear and crisp with all colors reporting for duty.     Here's the other half of the splice with a bit of the original end below it. After stripping away the insulation, fluxing, and tinning, I landed the conductors, then covered the solder pads with a thin coat of UV activated resin (if you don't have a Bondic pen, I can't recommend them enough!)

And finally, here's the 2nd end of the ribbon installed.

I guess now that the real show stopper is corrected, I have to set about sorting the rest of this thing. The installed 160M drive was DOA (clunk of death), so I installed a spare 500M with 7.6 on it. for testing Between that, the LCD cable, fried memory module, leaky battery, and busted hinges, I can't help wondering if I'm resurrecting someone's parts unit

Oh, and it's missing the trackball bezel. If someone happens to have a spare they'd part with reasonably, it'd sure beat paying the going rate for the whole assembly on eBay...