• 386DX are 32 bit and supports more then 16MB, a 386SX uses a 16 bit path and you are stuck with 16MB or less depending on the board.
    • Thanks @PotatoFi, I had been using the rock back and forth very gently till the legs break, worked well but had a stubborn through hole I needed the heating power of the air gun, so that's why I have it   There's a few of us around MN @ScutBoy - I'm south of St. Cloud in the middle of no where.
    • @erichelgeson - Nice work on the CC. I'm a fellow Minnesotan (Northfield) who just got done doing two CC motherboards myself    
    • Forgot two things to mention: That looks absolutely great, Thanks ,Trash80toHP_Mini, for the Scaler Pics!   And I did like JT737 did and bought 2 Micron VRAM chips on ebay.de for 6€ (+1,10€ delivery!) and now I enjoy luxurious 4 bit gray scale, an update that Radius charged 150$ for back in those days. For future reference, the name of the chips is Micron MT42C4256Z-7 256Kx4 70ns PZIP-28
    • Careful not to get too far into feature creep. I think the motivator behind FPGAing some of the logic functions is because the original chips are NLA, which would allow people with battery-damaged boards to return their machine to life even with the loss of those original chips. My current take so far has been assuming original logic placed onto a new board. In this route the only real improvement available would be to add 72-pin SIMMs or possibly EDO SODIMMs (those could be had in 64MB quantities, so you'd only need two slots for 128MB). I don't know enough about the memory subsystem used here to say whether it would support high-density EDO chips or not. Previously these used 8 16-bit banks of basic or possibly FPM DRAM for its maximum of 128MB; I don't think EDO was introduced until the 72-pin SIMMs. Maybe with the higher-density memory it can use more than 128MB? I don't know what the hard limit is here. Not that I'd probably have a use for more than that in an SE/30. That being said it's probably less expensive to fix an SE/30 board by moving its components to a new board with four 32MB 72-pin SIMMs than it would be to get a replacement original board and find 128MB worth of 30-pin SIMMs.