LaPorta

Issue installing SCSI2SD into Classic

Hi everyone,

I’m setting up a Classic that I got for my young nephew. He liked my Mac Plus so much when I brought it to my mother-in-law’s, that I figured he should have a similar one to play with. So I re-capped it, and it works great. Stripped out the floppy drive (since he won’t need it, and a spare 1.4 drive is good to have), and put a v5.1 SCSI2SD in. Formatted the card under OS 9 with Apple Partition Map, Mac OS Standard, etc. Set up the SCSI2SD with the util. Enabled Apple compatibility mode, Set sector size, etc. Also put on the internal terminator.

Got a Sad Mac error with the internal terminator on, so I shut that off. Kept all else on. No disks mount from it when I start from my floppy emu or the internal ROM disk. Regrettably I don’t have Lido on there to check, but nothing is coming up. Any suggestions?

I also got Lido to run. It gave me an error while scanning the bus that said “Arbitration Failed!” Not sure if that is just because of something not right with the SCSI2SD or what.

Another weird thing: the clock doesn’t advance. I set the time, but the seconds will not count. That I’ve never seen...

43 minutes ago, LaPorta said:

Another weird thing: the clock doesn’t advance. I set the time, but the seconds will not count. That I’ve never seen...

This reminds me of a problem I had with a Classic that I can't fully recall how I fixed.  I am pretty sure that mine was stuck on a certain date (say 1/1/1904 or whatever) and whenever I changed it, it would either not let me change it, or revert back right away (I can't remember which).  I don't think the seconds counted up either.

I think I had swapped the RTC chip but I can't recall if that fixed it, or if it was just a broken trace.  I'm kind of thinking the latter as I don't have another Classic logic board with a bad RTC.

Hmm that's strange, too. The clock will let me set it and it saves the time, but does not advance. Is there some sort of clock crystal or something that could be shot?

Hey, I just got some IIsi units up and running.  I got the same error from Lido the first time.  What solved it for me was having the SCSI2SD installed into the IIsi, with the case OPEN, and the mini USB connected from the SCSI2SD board to the USB port on my iMac.  I also had scsi_util open and running at the same time.  Michael at codesrc said I must have an issue with a burnt out fuse on my IIsi, because it needed the iMac to power the termination until I got everything configured.  Once I had the iMac connected to SCSI2SD, I popped in my bootable OS 6.0.8 disk which also has Lido on it, opened Lido, and it lit up like a Christmas tree.  I configured all of my virtual drives, (used easy set up in Lido) dragged the OS 6.0.8 disk image over to the one set at SCSI ID 0, and I was back in business.

Thanks for the reply. I've used bus power and USB power: same result. I verified that I did not blow the SCSI bus somehow when re-capping by putting the original HD back in place - it works perfectly with the original HD, no errors. I've tried connecting the SCSI2SD as an external drive in tandem with the internal HD - same error.

By the way, the error os 0000000F 00000002

Others have said that this is a memory error, but I find that hard to believe if the machine works perfectly (save for the clock) with the only variable being whether or not the SCSI2SD is connected. I am trying multiple different variables on the SCSI2SD settings, with no luck yet.

Edit: Interesting. The machine will start up fine if the SD card is not in the SCSI2SD...

Edited by LaPorta

20 minutes ago, LaPorta said:

Edit: Interesting. The machine will start up fine if the SD card is not in the SCSI2SD...

What type of SD card is it? Interesting variable. Would something like an express card cause problems?

Well, hit must have been something with the way the card was formatted. I started with the card out, inserted the card once the Mac was up and running, and then Launched Lido. It saw the SCSI2SE, and I was able to re-format the card, and now all is well. Still not sure what would have made the sad Mac from an improperly formatted card?

Ok, so I THOUGHT I had it all worked out. Now, if I have the original HD connected to the SCSI chain as well as to the SCSI2SD, everything shows up correctly. If I remove the HD, the computer starts up to the blinking question mark (meaning it sees no SCSI drive). I've tried with termination active and also with it inactive...what the heck am I doing wrong here?