PaulM

Simple file sharing (Mac SE/30 to Mac SE)

Hi folks,

I have an SE and an SE/30 and I want to use peer-to-peer AppleTalk (printer port to printer port) for file sharing.... should be simple and I think I did everything I'm supposed to do, but no luck yet. The SE/30 has system 7.1 (and/or 6.0.8) and the SE has 6.0.8. I have file-sharing turned on and Guest user access etc.  But when the SE Chooser comes up and I select, AppleTalk, there are no File Servers listed to choose from.

Not sure how to troublehshoot further (other than replace the cable?) Also wondering if there is a step-by-step guide for simple file sharing....

I would verify your cabling first. What are you using? For a two-machine connection, I use an Apple StyleWriter cable, mini DIN 8 on both ends. That one pictured has the crossing arrows of LocalTalk, but other versions of the cable have an Apple logo on both ends instead.

I know my SE/30 had about 4 bad traces from capacitor goo that went to the printer ports.   I was looking for some kind of loopback tester hardware for the printer/modem port but didn't come up with anything.  Since then I connected up another mac and tried the file sharing between two macs and it just worked without doing anything special.