• Just so we're clear, here are my goals for one of these Plan B cards: 1. Simplicity for both design and production, which generally means 2. minimal component count, which in turn achieves 3. a relatively inexpensive project compared to pie-in-the-sky objectives. Ultimately the card would be designed to fit within the same dimensions and using mostly the same original heat spreaders and things while operating near the original TDP. This is so we can run the thing without having to remove the keyboard or add fans or something to vent the excess heat and to potentially run on batteries for more than 30 minutes before they're exhausted. While I do appreciate people who go bananas with some of this (1GHz+! G4! 8GB RAM! USB!), there's not much in the way of potential sales in a Frankenstein'd model that can't be used as a laptop as originally intended (not to mention you'd have to hack OS 9 onto it to use AltiVec anyway); if someone Kickstarter'd up a simple and functional drop-in upgrade, you'd get more interest and thus could recoup more money on your investment.    Anyway, it's good news about the DDR2 memory. Two chips for 256MB would be all that a 5x0-series machine could need, so I'd be of a mind to not include a RAM expansion slot; just solder the two chips down, wire them to the onboard controller (which apparently would provide a 32-bit bus, yeah?), and call it good. If a 750fx or gx doesn't operate properly with a 32-bit memory width, either the FPGA can buffer for the extra bits or the design can be extended to four 1Gb chips to create the necessary 64-bit bus with 512MB of total RAM. Could you imagine? Over 12x the original maximum RAM. No need for VM or RamDoubler here.
    • So is the Linux mode of this board supposed to supplement or supplant the host? While the former would be neat it would be very software-intensive in both classic Mac OS and Linux. However you may be able to build a version of this board that takes over the SE/30's logic board entirely: the upgrade board would just ignore the SE/30's CPU and memory subsystem and basically only use the original ports to allow connectivity to external devices including your ADB keyboard and mouse. The A9 would run Linux, possibly with a Mac OS emulator to allow any version of Mac OS to run, including PPC versions if you have Sheepshaver (or not; I'm not sure what the performance level of this chip really is). Or you could do everything natively in Linux, potentially including light web browsing, on your 512x384 screen. Or you could reboot and, via either software control or a physical switch, select the option to run as just an SE/30 with a Micron XCeed clone. I'd prefer a physical switch, myself, because it would be a quick and clear setting.    While we're dreaming, how about a flash-based storage module as an option that's accessible by the host Mac? Perhaps it could be added, along with other future ideas, via an expansion header in Arduino or Pi style. If you're replacing the hard drive with flash anyway you'd likely get much better performance with your storage attached to the 32-bit 16MHz SE/30 PDS rather than the 8-bit SCSI-1 controller on the logic board, and this may be cheaper to implement than a ~$100 SCSI2SD drive. The SE/30's ROM may need modified to boot from it though.
    • Just got this Power Mac 7200/120 for next to nothing. Only upgrade is a two port USB card. Nothing too exciting.    It seems that the SCSI hard drive (Quantum Fireball SE) in this thing is dying. When I turn it on, it starts booting and gets into the Mac OS 8.6 screen very quickly. Unfortunately it hangs there, and the HDD starts making weird noises. Here's a YouTube video with audio - it sounds a bit sketchy at first, then seems like a normal (old) hard drive until about twenty seconds in. After that, it makes a loud buzz - then a tick-tick - then a buzz - then a tick-tick, etc...    Is this a common failure mode for these drives, and if so, is it fixable? I'm planning on installing an SIL3112 either way, but I'd love to have the drive for an SE/30. 
    • Oh yeah, that would be sweet. I just downloaded and skimmed the PDF. I love this instruction on page 48: "If capacitor C522 is missing, install a new capacitor." My question is, where did C522 go in the first place?