pb3623

G4 Cube with Sonnet 1 GHz and other goodies

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADED-Apple-G4-Cube-1Ghz-Sonnet-Processor-1-5GB-RAM-500-GB-HD-Dual-Boot/273704226994?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Snagged this while I was putting the kids to bed one night last week... 

I wanted an accelerator for my existing Cube as well as a shot at a case that was in better condition.

It arrived yesterday - two days early (thanks, FedEx). It has the 1 GHz Sonnet Encore/ST (I assume the Cube-specific "C" SKU?), 1.5 GB RAM (max, even though there are 2 x PC133 and 1 x PC100), a 16 MB ATI Rage6 (which I believe I'll be replacing with my 32 MB Radeon 7500), and two fans - one inline with the HD and one off the VRM. The HD is 500 GB and appears to have been partitioned w/ SpeedTools. The DVD-ROM was listed as "fully functional... tested" but it suffers from Stretched Belt Syndrome where it won't eject against the pull of Earth's gravity.

I'm having some trouble with OS 9 on the second partition and it's loud - especially when the DVD spins up, there's a lot of vibration. I can't imagine needing 500 GB so I'll probably put drop in a 2.5" IDE to m.2 SSD as I've down with other machines. 

Thanks. Me too. I'm still having issues booting into OS 9 (it freezes soon after Finder loads) so I don't know if it's a thermal issue that 10.4.11 doesn't have? But yea, I'm very happy to get my hands on a faster CPU.

Clean install?  Booting from an OS9 CD or with extensions off?  Odd that it would function normally in 10.4.  Maybe try a temperature monitoring program just for fun and rule out that issue, there was a Powerlogix program that I used years ago for that.  I bet it is an extension conflict or other software issue causing it though.

Thing is, I can't even boot from a 9.2 CD. Sometimes it will get to the desktop, and freeze shortly thereafter; other times it won't make it to the desktop. I have to go back and write this down but IIRC from last night, a 9.1 CD was stable. And, FWIW, Classic under 10.4 works fine.

I have hazy recollection that there might be a firmware or OpenFirmware patch you need to (re)apply if you switch or re-install OS.

I can try and see if I can find it in my notes, or perhaps you can Wayback Machine cubeowner.com for clues.

Well, I did find v3.1 of the Sonnet Crescendo/Encore drivers for OS 9 and X... seems it's rock-solid in both now. Now I have the weirdest dual-boot problem where the X disk doesn't mount automatically in 9 and the 9 disk doesn't boot at all in X. I think I made the mistake of using Norton Disk Doctor instead of TechTool Pro.

Side benefit - having Sonnet v3.1 over the 2.31 I found on the Garden made a world of difference for my TAM w/ its (previously) unstable G3 L2... thanks for the tip!