bigmessowires

Need Testing Help with Mac External 400K/800K Drive

If you have a multimeter and a Macintosh External 400K or 800K floppy drive (models M0130 or M0131), I could use your help with a quick test. Put your meter in continuity check mode (where it beeps if there's a short circuit), and test for continuity between pin 9 of the drive's connector and any other pin. See the photo for the location of pin 9.

You need to make sure your multimeter probes are only touching one pin at a time, and aren't touching the metal shield around the pins, in order to avoid false positives on the test.

Hopefully pin 9 is not connected to anything. But I'm a bit suspicious it may be connected internally to pin 7 or 8, or possibly others. I don't have either of these drives, so I can't do the check myself. This is for exploring some crazy daisy-chain ideas for the Floppy Emu.

Thank you!

20190202_150124.jpg

I have an 0131 I can get around to in the morning, but, do you want a drive on the other end, or unplugged inside the case?

I can do either.

Well, I was going to do that, but apparently I put it someplace VERY safe, and can’t find it.... But I found my SD to 40 pin ide card, that I need for the iBook G4....

I’ll continue to look.............