MacFox

What NOT to do with your Macintosh SE

This is a cautionary tale on what not to do with your Macintosh SE.

Ever since I replaced the HDD in my SE, I always felt the new drive wasn't secure enough.  There are six screw points on the 40 MB Conner HD SC drive and only four screw points on the SE's HDD bay.  Only two of the Conner's screw points (one on the left side of the drive and one on the right) lined up with the SE's screw points.  This means that the HDD was only held in place by two screws.  It was okay, but it could've been more secure.  Sometimes when running the SE, I would hear a "klinking" sound, which I assumed had to do with the HDD.  I found a 5.25'' to 3.5'' HDD bracket on ebay and thought maybe this bracket would help secure the drive.  The bracket didn't fit no matter what way I tried to install it.  I then gave up and tried to put the HDD back in its original place.  Unfortunately, I used the wrong screw and bored into the drive's PCB board and knocked off one of the capacitors. 

After that happened I tried using a Segate Barracuda drive I pulled from a beat up Power Macintosh 7500 I bought a while back.  The Segate drive fit the bay perfectly, except the screw points didn't line up at all.  Curious to see if the drive would work, I secured it to the bay using electrical tape and hooked it up to the logic board.  When I turned on my SE, this drive started up and was the loudest drive I had ever heard.  It got louder as it spun up to the point where I was a afraid something was gonna blow up.  I immediately turned off my SE and waited.

After a couple minutes, I decided to swap out the Segate with the drive from my Classic II. The Classic II uses a 40 MB Conner, but the HDD bracket in the Classic II fits the drive perfectly.  Instead of just swapping drives, I decided to swap brackets too including the floppy drive.  I looked into swapping the ROMs in order to do a proper Superdrive upgrade to the SE (thought I might as well since I was going to put the Classic II's floppy drive in there along with the HDD), but the Classic II ROMs don't fit in the SE.  After doing the swap, I put my SE back together and turned it on only to get a blank screen and a clicking noise coming from the power supply.  I immediately turned off the SE.  Looking up the clicking noise on this forum has led me to the conclusion that I must have killed the power supply when I put the Segate drive in the SE.  I guess the lesson here is, be careful what kind of HDD you put in your SE.

1 hour ago, MacFox said:

Instead of just swapping drives, I decided to swap brackets too including the floppy drive.

Not saying this is what you did, but it's my vague recollection that if you swap a Superdrive floppy into an 800k-drive-controller-ed SE or Plus and use the wrong cable you can blow up the PWM signal that's present on those older controllers to drive the ancient 400k drive. (I believe, again, this is a vague recollection, that the same signal line gets reused?) Maybe I'm totally off base on this.

1 hour ago, Gorgonops said:

Not saying this is what you did, but it's my vague recollection that if you swap a Superdrive floppy into an 800k-drive-controller-ed SE or Plus and use the wrong cable you can blow up the PWM signal that's present on those older controllers to drive the ancient 400k drive. (I believe, again, this is a vague recollection, that the same signal line gets reused?) Maybe I'm totally off base on this.

I did use the same floppy and HDD cables from the Classic II.  

On 6/21/2018 at 9:57 AM, Gorgonops said:

the same signal line gets reused

As far as I know, only the 400k drive ever used that line, and all the others either ignored it or explicitly had it NC either at the connector or in the cable (like the special yellow-stripe cable used in the Mac Plus, but I don't know if that's the one).

c

My SE is working again!  Turns out I didn’t have the floppy controller chip pushed down all the way.  I swapped the hard drive bays and I now have the Classic II’s HDD paired with the SE’s original 800K floppy drive.  Would love to do a SuperDrive upgrade one day, but for now, I’ll stick with this configuration for my SE.