Jump to content
  • Posts

    • Print a 50-60% height Portrait Color Classic Pi/DVD with Baby Bear acting as server and WiFi bridge to the modern world for daddy and grandpa bears. Design Language should make a nod forward to the sharper, more defined lines of the 5xxx AIO series.   Please for the love of Finagle, nobody make mention of a tinier great-grandbaby bear with reference to the Molar Mac's Design Language, YUCK!  
    • This looks fun.  I've been meaning to have a play with this for some time...
    • Me either, ha! Yeah, I would have too if I had a hot air station!   Thanks! This project almost convinced me to look into a hot air station... but I decided that I could get it done with just an iron. Or could I? Read on...   First, I decided to clean up the "junk" board for some practice. It will be great to keep around both for parts, and for reference.     Next, on the good board, I went crazy with the flux paste.     I gotta admit that this part took awhile, and was a bit scary. I had a hard time getting the desoldering alloy to evenly coat each side of the chip. At this point, I was pretty convinced that I had permanently destroyed my SE/30. Why did I mess with it? Would not having sound been that bad?! What was I thinking?!   Eventually I removed it all and started from a clean slate, and the IC popped off a lot faster.     Here's the supposedly bad ASC, removed.     Next, I cleaned up the pads. I thought a couple of them were gone, but I scraped away at them for awhile and sure enough, there were pads! That could explain why the first ASC failed. I am pretty sure that there was continuity... pretty sure. I'll keep the old ASC around. Maybe it's still okay.   Next, I tinned a couple of pads. In this photo I have only tinned one; I ended up removing that and tinning a couple of pads on another side that was easier to get to.     I ran the iron over each of the pins to make sure it was clean.     Next I set the IC in place, and flowed the two tinned pads. The IC settled down on the pads. Next I soldered a pin on the opposite corner, and double-checked that everything was straight. Then, I hit all of the pins with liquid flux, and started soldering the rest of the pins. I thought I could drag-solder everything, but I really struggled with bridges so eventually I just soldered every pin, one at a time. At this point, I was REALLY convinced that my SE/30 was dead for good. Totally hosed.   After cleaning it with alcohol and hitting it with the air compressor, here's what it looked like:     I reassembled it, flipped the power switch, and...    There was a nice, clear chime! Woohoo!   I am doubting the fix a bit - I booted from the ROM and fired up Sim City from a floppy disk. The sounds all work just fine but are pretty bad quality. I think that's just because they're just low-quality samples. Curiously my Bolo or Microsoft Flight Simulator sounds didn't work. I'll get System 7.5.5 booting next, and play some more sounds to confirm, but I am 90 percent sure that the sound issue is fixed.   Thanks for identifying the problem, @techknight!
    • I did post in one of the Vintage Mac Facebook groups yesterday. That was me!   Side note: I'm spending a bunch of time today trying to pull together a good documentation package for English Mac users. Feedback/comments/contributions are welcome! https://github.com/akuker/RASCSI/wiki
    • Never mind.  I must have knocked the resisters I soldered loose when I was cleaning the flux off the board.  That will teach me not to check my work!
×