Sign in to follow this  
Patater

MacTCP Documentation

I'm looking to make some Internet applications for System 6. I'm having trouble figuring out where the MacTCP API is documented. I'd like to use MacTCP because it should allow my application to work with System 6 through 9 (with Open Transport being backwards compatible with the MacTCP API).

I know of one fellow who has done MacTCP development recently. Unfortunately, on his web pages, there doesn't seem to be any mention of MacTCP books, manuals, online reference materials, or web pages. I can see that he is using MPW.

I'd like to use Think C 5, but I can use MPW if I have to. This probably means making custom header files or modifying the MPW ones.

Fellow comrades, do you know of any books, manuals, online references, or web pages that document the MacTCP API? Your assistance is much appreciated.

:)

MacTCP used the standard device driver calls (Open, Close, Control, etc) to control a driver. There was an SDK called the MacTCP Developer Kit, which I think might still be available from Apple's ftp server (try http://mirrors.vanadac.com/ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/). I suggest you start with the article by Steve Falkenburg in issue 6 of Develop magazine. If you don't have the magazine or developer essentials disk 6, you can see a text-only version at:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/develop/issue_06/p46-69_Falkenburg_text_.html

Thank you very much. The MacTCP Developer Kit is exactly what I needed. It even contained the document entitled "MacTCP Programmer's Guide", referred to by Falkenburg, which I couldn't find on the Internet.

Thank you comrade!

For our future interest, what applications would you be looking at implementing?

DHCP handling through MacTCP? Email? RSS? ___________________________?