• In a word? Slow! In the attached image of me grabbing something off of my local *nix FTP server, I'm getting a pretty consistent ~64kb/s. Still beats the heck of the floppy shuffle though, and is plenty fast enough for any of the small files and ancient software this 'ol fella is capable of using. I also have it connected via AppleShare to my LCIII, so moving data to / from it has never been easier!
    • I thought the same thing! For this version, I broke out the i2c and VCC to a separate header to attach a super cheap OLED. I haven't got around to writing any code do do anything with it, but that shouldn't be too tough. You could also easily add a much larger screen, but I'm trying to watch the budget on this project   (Ignore the fact that my pin headers aren't soldered on straight....)   As far as buttons, GPIO pins 4,5, 10-27 are used for the SCSI interfaces. GPIO 2 and 3 are used for the I2C interface. So, that leaves GPIO 0,1,6,7,8,9 that you could use for user control. You could also add a I2C GPIO expander and get as much I/O as you want.  
    • Thanks for the points you mentioned. Yeah, it's as I supposed: these devices are complicated and there's a few things to go wrong, some of which are irreparable. Still it's not over till it's over  Now that I know what to look for, I think I'll open the 4x back up and see if there's anything mechanical going on from the points above.   I think out of some lackadaisical dedication to OE restoration, I started replacing like for like on the PowerComputing machines. I kept the Apple/Sony CD for my ATAPI 4400 (and gave it a boost from 8x to 24x), but felt some cosmic tug to use Toshiba for the PowerTower (originally into the PowerWave). I think the PT actually had some NEC drive in it, but it probably was still a Toshiba, just with a different case/HW appearance.   SCSI termination might also be a factor here. When it was still consistently working, I was able to connect it (4x) to my Quadra 700, but …not in a traditional way. I had originally intended to use my non-working Bernoulli's case to house is, because what is it other than a PSU and SCSI connections. I stopped when the very tight-fitting SCSI ribbon wouldn't attach. But I actually had to remove termination to get the drive to work after Jerry-rigging it and the HDD (spinner) with the case open. (The quantum drive has the resistor pack termination)   I have a working 600i that I snagged for a low price, so that should hopefully make a better base. I've decided if I was to attempt this (external case solution) again, I'd be sure to connect everything in an external case with the term switch and everything, and pay a bit closer attention to how each piece is interacting with the others.    Incidentally, here's where my patchy experience will kick in: Example, my Quadra 700: the SCSI2SD has termination enabled. Can I still use external SCSI devices? My fleeting memory from using it in my IIsi was that external devices would not work. I know they're different Macs.
    • Quick update: solid adapter, new battery, recapped / cleaned board...  powered up and chimed then blew the SWIM, pop and smoke. I suspect it was toast from earlier. I don't have a donor board handy - does the Portable require a model-specific SWIM or will one from say an LC or compact work? I understand that the VIA and also the 74AC157/10/02 IC's can go as well, haven't checked them yet, but I already have replacements in case (not the VIA).