• It's not that bad a throughput, given that you've got two sets of encapsulation and very small packets going on.  How fast do you get over AFP/DDP?
    • Hmm, that's weird.   I don't know much about this, but I think I've read in passing (while attempting to solve other problems) that symptoms like this can be indicative of either failed resistors or diodes somewhere in the affected circuit.   I guess you could check for burnt R's and D's and replace any that you find?  It could be as simple as a broken solder joint too, so check any connections for continuity while your at it.
        c
    • Isn't that why we all use these archaic machines?   This is a painfully slow method of moving files, about 3 minutes a Mb. I guess it would still be faster than writing a Mb to a floppy and then loading the floppy into another machine. It's slow enough that the SE/30 is able to be used for light games while the transfer is happening, though it hanged when I tried to pay a second game of Spades.   I have a few options for sneaker net, but for moving a file or two, this will likely work good enough until I find the SCSI to ethernet bridge. I don't know for certain the accelerator works, so I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this idea just yet. I figure this solution can also be used with my Plus and a Powerbook 165, possibly all at the same time if I get enough phonenet adapters.   J White    
    • Great to hear @Ton but given that the engineer I talked to before deciding to do this mod repairs PSUs for a living and tests them at full load for 24 hours before calling them fixed, I wouldn't declare victory just yet... My recapped PSU died during a small stress/smoke test. My plan was to leave it on idling for 3 or 4 of hours but it didn't even pass the two hour mark...      But your problem is interesting: it means that computers of this era (early 90s) are starting to suffer from tantalum cap failures. Instead of leaking like the electrolytic ones do, those just explode.    ________________________   And now, back to the subject at hand. I have once again decided to change the fan controller (this will be the last time, as I'm sure this will work this time). I just can't get enough from the 555 to do everything it want it to do. I'll now be using an Arduino Nano board (it costs from 1 to 7 bucks depending on who you're getting it from... even clones from China should do the job).   I chose it because: 1/ It comes in a PDIP like package. Either solder it to the QuadrATX DC board or install it in a socket. You don't need a hot air station... 2/ It's configurable, because it'll be running a bespoke sketch (read program). If I mess up the code, I can still change it without having to alter the DC board. 3/ It's REALLY easy to flash. Get the free Arduino App for your Mac/Linux/PC, open it, plug in the Nano with a USB cable and hit upload. ANYONE CAN DO IT.  4/ If it dies, there's plenty more available 5/ It's easy to program for and it's got quite a sizable community. 6/ The fan controller part of the schematic is now a lot easier to understand and the circuit won't take as much space on the DC Board as it used to.  7/ Isn't that enough?   More to follow...
    • Nope, but you’re totally right, I now remember I realized that after the fact  Hopefully that helps the OP.