Sign in to follow this  
MJ313

Confounded by IIci ad

I've been working on a IIci lately and hence the interest in this machine as of late. I stumbled on this eBay ad and was thrown off to see it sans programmer buttons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272328383262?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Obviously a lot of IIci's are missing the switches these days; however, I assumed the buttons came standard with this machine. Why create an ad with missing buttons?? It's just odd with those holes there. It looks... unfinished.

Another nit to pick is the orientation of the IIci. Clearly if the machine were in a vertical orientation, it would have the floppy at 12 o'clock high. Because, well, the feets holes are on the other side.

Now I'll go shake my cane at the neighborhood riff raff and tell em to get off me lawn.

Edited by MJ313

Anpther thing, on the monitor you can read "Macintosh IIci"!!!!!!

Two possibilities, whether it is a fake (but the man who made it couldn't do so evident mistakes as he has to know a lot about macintosh), or maybe this ad was really made by apple but at a quite early developpement stage of the IIci???

Edited by tjjq44

It also appears to be missing the drive light at the top (in the ad, on the bottom right).  It really looks like other than the power light, that it is an empty case in the ad.  Also curious is that the monitor has "Macintosh IIci" stenciled on the front of it.  I don't think that I have seen monitors labeled like that, so to me at least, it looks like the system was mocked up by Apple's ad agency. 

Edited by Juror22

Has to be an early ad, as the IIcx had the Reset/Programmer's switch as a separate add-on for a long time as did the IIci in its early years. It was not until later that both the IIcx & IIci get the Reset/Programmer's switches. My original IIcx (still have it) does not have it but my later IIcx and IIci do.

That's interesting- I didn't know the programmer/reset button was a separate add-on in the beginning. That would probably help to explain why we can see so many of these machines without the buttons when perusing eBay (I thought they had either broken or were misplaced, but maybe they weren't there to begin with).

It is funny seeing that IIci silkscreen on the monitor. I hadn't noticed that when I first posted! Advertising departments up to their shenanigans...

Edited by MJ313

Found another odd ad. I could be very wrong, but I dont recall any Apple Display being specific to a Mac. Here is a Mac II ad that only shows a "Macintosh II" display. Clearly the ad agency has some leeway in ads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Apple-MAC-Macintosh-II-2-Computer-16x20-inch-vintage-print-Ad-/361677102168?hash=item5435a29c58:g:kSgAAOSwKtlWjW7u

Edited by unity

In graphics terms, the name silkscreen needed to be the viewer's field of vision. Meantime, the ability to use the machine as a tower or a conventional desktop was a marketing feature. All is explained.