Sinclair

USB card in Mac OS 9.1

The fact it says usb 2.0 may be the issue.  You got a 50/50 chance.  I have not been able to get any 2.0 cards to work.  Almost all 1.1 cards no problem just not any real luck with the 2.0 even tho it says compatible.

Sinclair, I reviewed the whole thread and I was wondering if you've tried installing the USB card in the other PCI slot. I expect the problem is related to drivers, but it might be worth a try if you haven't already. PCI PowerMacs can be finicky about which card is in what slot sometimes. I also noticed System Profiler is showing three entries for slot B1 in your screenshot. Does anybody recall if that's normal behaviour for USB cards?

Neither it worked :(

The next thing I'll do is rule out that the card is not defective by connecting it to a PC.

Work in PC.

Sinclair, I reviewed the whole thread and I was wondering if you've tried installing the USB card in the other PCI slot. I expect the problem is related to drivers, but it might be worth a try if you haven't already. PCI PowerMacs can be finicky about which card is in what slot sometimes. I also noticed System Profiler is showing three entries for slot B1 in your screenshot. Does anybody recall if that's normal behaviour for USB cards?

The behavior is the same in either PCI slots.

More ideas?

I also have a PCI card that (I think) I removed from a G4 tower.

I placed it in my Performa 6360, but I'm not sure how to see if it was detected or not. Is there some kind of System Profiler application in Mac OS 9.1?

Thank you

Well isn't this something. I logged on this morning to post about my working, but not working USB 1.1 card and lone behold there's already someone having the same problem as me!

I have pretty much the same problem, the card is detected in system profiler (x4 ports), but does bog all when I insert a USB mouse or USB pen drive.

As far as I know I have the latest USB extensions installed.

Ok I've got it working with a 4 port card on an 8500. If it woukd benefit anyone, I'll be writing how i did it

Sure, don't be shy! :D

Edited by meall