Forums

1. Important Information

1. The 68kMLA Forum Rules   (9954 visits to this link)

To quote vintage Apple manuals: "Read Me First!"

2. Community Connections

1. General 68kMLA News & Stuff

What's going down in the barracks.

Discuss your latest vintage Mac finds!

Feel free to trade all of your Mac goodies here with all honest intentions. The website provider assumes NO liability, so buyer beware! Please see this topic for more information.

1. RetroChallenge

What can you do given only one month and strictly "retro" hardware? Find out with RetroChallenge!
      http://retrochallenge.org/

The creation and maintenance of the 68kMLA's information repository.
      http://68kmla.org/wiki/

1. Compact Mac

Macintosh, 512k, SE, etc.

Just think, having a Quadra 950 in 1992 would be like having a Mac Pro today… except with more slots, more expandability, and on-board SCSI!

Ah, the consumer computers!

From the Portable to the 190cs.

1. NuBus Power Mac, LC & Performa

The NuBus architecture gets a new brain!

The PPC comes of age and adopts the industry standard expansion slot.

From the Beige G3 to the quad-core G5, via various iMacs!

All that power in a laptop? Never…

1. Apple I, ][, /// & Lisa

Not really 68k Macs, but certainly Vintage!

The best PDA ever finally gets its own forum!

Includes system stuff, productivity, emulation, design, and games for pre-OS X Macs!

Yes, it's back! Hardware hacks/modifications and software development for Mac OS.

Anything you can hook up to your Mac or stuff into it as an interface!

• Thanks, I forgot about these - yes both planned. I need to find a spares/repairs MDD to raid the graphics card from.   Funnily enough, this Mac only chimed once - when I first got it, every single boot since then hasn't produced a chime (even before I did the tear down). I'm not sure why this is yet. And yes the speaker is plugged in   You might get a PM from me about this!
    • Not a nubus power mac, but I know a Sonnet L2 cache slot upgraded Mac will work on 7.6.1.   I don't know which drivers, if any, are necessary for that generation, but that would be the kicker. I don't think I tried with 7.5.3 on my 4400, just went straight to 7.6.1. Wouldn't hurt to try, I suppose. Finding the earliest driver would be the best bet.   I say if necessary, because sometimes they're just not needed, but I might be thinking of the G3 zif upgrade for beige/b&w ... My 4400 needed a driver init
    • Since all the Sonnet owners seem to be looking in on this thread, does anyone know the lowest OS (it says 8.5 on Everymac for this card) that can be loaded on a 6116 with a Sonnet G3 400/1M.  Is it possible to use , say 8.1 or maybe even 7.5.3?  I have a couple of nice 9.2 machines already, so I would prefer to have something a little lower if possible.   More in line with the topic, mine came with everything in the box, except for the sticker!
    • I decided to test the floppy drive outside of the machine. Unfortunately, despite a thorough cleaning and lubrication, there are a couple of problems.     First off, the eject motor doesn't quite get the job done. It really labors, despite my careful cleaning and lubrication. By hand, disks eject very smoothy. The eject motor on the other hand sounds very labored, and it doesn't complete a 360° trip like I think it should.   The second problem is more serious. I noticed that the R/W heads do not actuate. I removed the two socket cap screws that hold the motor in, and discovered some rust.     After pulling the drive out entirely, I found that the drive was stuck. It popped loose pretty easily, but it feels a bit rough... not good.     Unfortunately, now the motor just buzzes whenever the computer is on. Here's a quick video of what is happening. It's a sealed unit so there's no way to get further into it.   So, the sad state of this machine is that it doesn't have a working floppy drive or hard drive. At this point, I think I'll need to find a donor drive that I can pull both an ejection motor and seek motor from to get it working again.
    • Ugh, the floppy drive. I've done a lot of these lately, and I'm not gunna lie: it's become a bit of a chore. I'm just over it. But, it has to be done.   Yikes, pretty rusty, but it looks okay. Let's see how the bottom looks.     Hrm, not great, but the drive motor spins freely, which makes me think that this will be salvageable with a bit of cleaning.     My other restoration threads have tons of instructions on how to take these apart, so check those out if you're looking for more details. Here's the top carriage popped off.     Good news, the eject motor gears look okay! I cleaned these out with alcohol and lubricated them with DuPont Teflon Silicone lubricant, which is designed for lubricating plastics.     When that was done, I returned the final gear to this specific position, which as far as I know is supposed to be the "default" position.     The upper and lower carriages got a scrub in the sink, a soak in vinegar, a scrub in vinegar, and a final wash under tap water before getting his with compressed air. No pictures of the vinegar soak, so just imagine these parts soaking in vinegar.     After lubricating everything, reassembling, and inserting/ejecting a floppy disk a few dozen times to make sure everything was working smoothly, I started to assemble the hard drive and floppy drive assembly.     Hard drive and floppy drive bracket installed.     At this point, both the hard drive and floppy drive were completely untested. It was finally time for the big moment where I would see if the floppy drive worked, and if the hard drive worked, and if there was anything interesting on it!   I flipped on the power, and immediately, very bad things started happening. The machine rapidly went "FLUP FLUP FLUP FLUP FLUP", and by the time I got my hand back around to the power switch, there was a big puff of magic smoke coming from the hard drive and floppy drive area! Oh no!   With the power back off, I waved all of the smoke away and took things back apart to find out what burned up. And burn up, something did! My office smelled horrible! I was really hoping that whatever had failed was the hard drive, and not the floppy drive or logic board. The logic board checked out okay, but I quickly discovered this on the hard drive:     Looks like a tantalum capacitor gave up! This is one of those old Miniscribe drives. Is this a common failure? Maybe the heads are stuck to the platter, and the motor couldn't spin up which overwhelmed the circuitry? Would love to get some insight on this.    Oh well, I need a hard drive bracket for my SE/30. I guess this is where I'm getting it. Bye-bye hard drive!   But after all of that stress put on the machine, would it chime? My daughter and I flipped the switch again to see what would happen...     Yep, all good. Whatever caused the failure must have been in the hard drive itself.     But we're not out of the woods yet... what about the floppy drive?