General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Hello, all...
Author Topic  
Josefu
Starting Member

France
1 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  23:14:30
I'm the proud owner of a new i-mac, but his LC 630 'big brother' is sitting right next to him and is not ready to leave anytime too soon... hehehe - he's my television.

The thing is, he takes up a lot of space... he has a 8gb external SCSI disk drive (Quantum fireball SE8.5s) an external disk burner (Yamaha 8x8x24 - model?), and I'd love to replace the LC's existing internal drive and slow CD reader with these. The CD burner is possible with a bit of tweaking (cd out plug), but the drive - as we say here, "heu."

Has anyone slain a similar dragon?

Thanks in advance,

Josefu.

Why would you want to do that? - Why not, no-one else did it yet...

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Mar 2002 :  00:00:26
quote:

I'm the proud owner of a new i-mac, but his LC 630 'big brother' is sitting right next to him and is not ready to leave anytime too soon... hehehe - he's my television.

The thing is, he takes up a lot of space... he has a 8gb external SCSI disk drive (Quantum fireball SE8.5s) an external disk burner (Yamaha 8x8x24 - model?), and I'd love to replace the LC's existing internal drive and slow CD reader with these. The CD burner is possible with a bit of tweaking (cd out plug), but the drive - as we say here, "heu."

have you taken everything apart and put it back together as a dry run practice for the process yet? the adapters on the internal CD won't fit the burner?
the hard disk will be no big deal if you get another ide drive and keep the external as a backup boot disk. An IDE in the 10-20 GB range should be dirt cheap.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 28 Mar 2002 :  02:36:28
It seems pretty simple to me. Put the external CDRW and the 8 gig drive in the LC630! You can always put the old internal drives into the external boxes [:]

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 28 Mar 2002 :  21:52:26
quote:

Put the external CDRW and the 8 gig drive in the LC630!

You'd have to rig up another SCSI connection though, since the 630 uses IDE for the hard disk and SCSI for the CD-ROM...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.