All Forums
 Compact Macs
 upgrading an SE
Author Topic  
alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  18:48:38
i have 2 SEs. i'd like to start using one of them. are there any upgrade options? the better of the 2 has max ram (4 MB?) double density floppy drive, 20 meg hard drive, nothing in the upgrade slot. i'd like to add ethernet to it, are there any upgrade cards (assuming i can actually find any) that have a processor upgrade, and ethernet? (i saw one for the LCIII like that. i almost got one, but i figured i didnt need it that bad). are there any other upgrade anyone can recommend? (high density floopy drive probably...)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  19:50:00
4 MB is the maximum the SE can handle...

You can upgrade the hard disk to your heart's delight...there are limitations based on your OS, but if you're running System 7.5.3, you shouldn't have to worry at all...

the "ugrade slot" is actually a PDS which, if i'm not mistaken, is not compatible with any other Mac. Therefore, if you go looking for an ethernet card, it would have to be of the variety indigenous (sp^2?) to the SE...

but then again, who wants ethernet when you could have local greyscale and then color on an external monitor!

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 27 Mar 2002 19:50:46Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  20:08:20
quote:

the "ugrade slot" is actually a PDS which, if i'm not mistaken, is not compatible with any other Mac. Therefore, if you go looking for an ethernet card, it would have to be of the variety indigenous (sp^2?) to the SE...

but then again, who wants ethernet when you could have local greyscale and then color on an external monitor!

the Radius16 and Radius25 accelerators had pass thru connectors for adding their video interface, i don't know if the video cards had the same arrangement or not offhand, i'll check my files.

jt

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  21:39:08
Get a nice sweet SE/30 Upgrade

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops 68k
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 30 Mar 2002 :  21:53:48
I think it's possible to hack a SE/30 mobo into it...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 30 Mar 2002 :  21:55:47
Here's some sites you may enjoy:
http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/se.shtml
http://macspeedzone.com/archive/Comparison/NonStandardMacSE.html
http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/by_system/mac_se.html

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  10:01:12
You could always try to fit a Powerbook mobo and screen in its case. That is what I want to do with my SE.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Jax
Starting Member

Canada
6 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2002 :  14:11:09
I have 2 SE accelerators. Ones a radius with a 25 MHz 020 CPU, no extra ram slots, and some strange connection, the other a Gemini Ultra from total systems that has a 33 MHz 030 CPU on it (but it will also take a 50 MHz) and 4 extra ram slots. it also has 2 strange connections, i thought might be fore floppy and SCSI, but they are to big. Im using the Gemini for my SuperSE project, but I would be willing to part with the radius.

Edited by - Jax on 29 Apr 2002 09:59:19Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  13:25:08
The logic boards in the SE and SE/30 are fully interchangable, I have booted a hard disk and CRT in an SE/30 case using a spare (and somewhat ill) SE logic board a friend of mine had hanging on his wall. The SE/30 gives a massive performance boost, the ability to fit up to 128MB RAM (realistically 32MB).

Find an SE/30 with a dead CRT and pull the guts out. Fit the loogc board and a bigger hard disk and any RAM it has and the 4 1MB SIMMs off of your SE board if there is room.

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Edited by - SiliconValleyPirate on 20 Apr 2002 13:26:33Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.