UNIX on 68k
 Linux Router...
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Mar 2002 :  18:36:48
Anyone remember I commented a bit earlier about using the Q700 as a router? Now the ADSL connection is coming (Any Day Now(tm)) I do have a need for one*. I gave in and grabbed a nubus ethernet card from ebay for AUS$12, so it'll have its 2 ethernet ports. At the moment it's the A/UX box, but I might move that little project to the IIci. From what I've used of A/UX it's a pretty impressive OS, but a bit limited in its use and documentation just at the moment. Pity!. Anyhows - I'll run debian on the 700, setup routing and keep posting just how it all works/breaks as I go :). The routing looks to be the easy part, the firewalling will be interesting - I haven't touched that side of linux before.

dana

* Not really, cos the modem has a router built in - can't leave too many quadras doing nothing though :)

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  23:40:57

Schweet! I was going to use my 700 as a router, but I got impatient...

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  01:13:56
quote:

Schweet! I was going to use my 700 as a router, but I got impatient...

me... I'm still waiting for the adsl :D. being one of the people who've pre-ordered the service before it's technically available here, -should- be connected before April 23rd - the ISP's official start-date for the state. After that.... stuff to play with!

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  01:43:06
Why can't you just run your router software under A/UX?. What additional benefit will Linux bring?

Sorry if this is a stoopid question... it wouldn't be my first!

Cheer!
CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  09:10:22
quote:

Why can't you just run your router software under A/UX?. What additional benefit will Linux bring?

Sorry if this is a stoopid question... it wouldn't be my first!

Security and plain ol convenience basically! - though there aren't any specific examples, the applefritter info about a/ux mentions that its age brings with it the problems of simply not having had all the updates with respect to security that a more updated unix would have. I'm sure it'd be secure enough for 99% of things - and that even a system as secure as I could make it would prolly be easily breakable anyhoo :D. It's just a habit thing with me perhaps, to do the SysAdmin-type-thing-right. One of the few things I picked up at Uni *grin*.

The routing/firewalling is done on a kernel level too, not as any particular software package, so it's not really a case of just running an application on a/ux that would also work on linux - there's also the documentation.... if I had my imac with me I'd pop some links to the routing/firewalling sites I have stored away for linux, whereas all I've come across for a/ux is one document thats unclear on setting up NAT. (nat = Network Address Translation... I have that running on OSX on the imac atm, to share the net connection with any other macs. It means the iimac runs as a router, and a request for www.google.com from say, a Quadra, looks to google's site like it's coming from the imac - while the webpage returned to the imac is recognised by OSX to be really meant for the Quadra - and sent to it. It's very neat, and is the way I share my net connection :). It works lovely...

so. I have no idea if I've made anything clear, but in case all I've done is waffle crap - security an documentation are the biggies - with documentation being the biggest obstacle. If I had used Unix systems a lot more, I could probably wing it on my own, but I'm still a relative newbie to ix's myself!

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.