All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 What is a Mac?
Author Topic  
Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  11:49:55

I put this topic here because this room got me thinking... is a Mac running Linux or other *nix still a Mac? Is it the OS or the box or a combination of both that makes a Mac a Mac? How much can you take away from a Mac before it loses its Macness? Would a Pentium rig running a mythical version of Mac OS be a Mac? Is a Mac running a different OS still a Mac?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  12:03:43
Good question. I think any Mac hardware is still a Mac no matter what OS it's running. Why? Because the proprietary Mac ROMs require specially-coded ports of an OS to work. Thus, any non-Apple Mac OS is still under the Mac umbrella, as if inducted. Not so with the x86 world.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  12:12:08
quote:

I put this topic here because this room got me thinking... is a Mac running Linux or other *nix still a Mac? Is it the OS or the box or a combination of both that makes a Mac a Mac? How much can you take away from a Mac before it loses its Macness? Would a Pentium rig running a mythical version of Mac OS be a Mac? Is a Mac running a different OS still a Mac?

Oooah :D. Back in my day... (sounding old for a bit!) lotsa amiga peoples asked the same, when it was dying. I think for a blunt direct answer, it's the whole machine, OS and all - and that combination (which usually works well together) changes over time. A Macintosh in 1984 (128k), 1987(II), 91(Quadra), 95 (Powermac) 2000 (iMac) are all very different beasts. The hardware is ENTIRELY different, the OS changed remarkably (but less so, at least until OSX) and we end up with different computers totally. There are some things that haven't changed much either, some core parts of the OS, and the ideals of REAL plug n play hardware - but even that doesn't apply across every mac - like adding memory to a plus and physically needing to cut a resistor on the motherboard. It's a fuzzy thing, like a big blob of wet black paint dropped on white paper, with some coloured speckles embedded in it. It's thoughtful gui, innovation, easier hardware, build quality, good design, good looks - not always with all of those features in every machine - and the occasional messup where it all goes wrong like 4400's, 6200's, original LC's and Classics :D.

But aside from my blathering on with romanticisms about macs, they're just a progression of products produced by a company who wants to keep in business - usually with the 'we're a little bit better' attitude.

I think anything that uses full mac hardware is a mac, even if its running Linux for example - it just gets a bit towards the greyer areas :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  12:24:15
quote:
It's a fuzzy thing, like a big blob of wet black paint dropped on white paper, with some coloured speckles embedded in it.

Sounds a Jackson Pollack work, maybe...?

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 25 Mar 2002 14:08:51Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  14:01:49
quote:

quote:
It's a fuzzy thing, like a big blob of wet black paint dropped on white paper, with some coloured speckles embedded in it.

Sounds a Jakson Pollack work, maybe...?
[/url]

SACRELIDGE! WHERE'S THE 68k STAKE AND BONFIRE OF ARTISTIC AND INTELLECTUAL PURITY?

whatever! that'd be Renoir, cinemo, Pollock is more of a vvindovvs imitation! *see footnote

jt

* a hack on a patch on a kludge, lets get the alpha out the door and we'll make it work by 3.0 and break it again with featuritis for the 4.0 release, we need to crush the competing products NOW kinda deal, get with it!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  14:08:26
quote:
whatever! that'd be Renoir, cinemo, Pollock is more of a vvindovvs imitation!

I can see you point...okay, how about saying the Mac is like a Chuck Close painting?

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 25 Mar 2002 15:05:00Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  14:44:06
quote:

quote:
whatever! that'd be Renoir, cinemo, Pollock is more of a vvindovvs imitation!

I can see you poin...okay, how about saying the Mac is like a Chuck Close painting?

Dali! reality distortion motif! *see footnote
Escher, unbelievably convoluted architecture . . . but awesome design!
VanGogh, color is all, but a breathtaking vision an purity of expression! . . . and wearing the same outfit to get to his work every day!

jt

*melted macs from dumb@$$ psu implementations is really more like it!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  15:07:10
I was thinking along the lines of when you look real close it's nothing but doughnuts and hot dogs, but when you step back, the grand scheme of things is clear.

How about Elvis on black Velvet for the IIvx or the 4400?

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 25 Mar 2002 15:07:40Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  15:19:55
quote:

How about Elvis on black Velvet for the IIvx or the 4400?

give the kid some fingerpaints for those diaper nuggets!

and thanks, comrade,
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  16:04:37
I think all I can add to this discussion now is...

Flower Power!!!

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  16:07:59
quote:

I think all I can add to this discussion now is...

Flower Power!!!

dana

that's too easy, silly maniac!

georgia o'keeffe!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  16:14:55
the Mac Experiance is being submersed in The Whole Widget: OS, Hardware and all.

I've decided that I am going to learn some System 6 programming, because I really do like that OS on SE's and such, and think they still have much life in them. Although, I'll admit that with Hypercard, there's little you CAN'T do... you could write an entire accounting system if you wanted. all hail the relational database...

but I digress...

My thoughts involve how Linux, Unix, andeven other OSes (if available) interplay with Liberation...

well, Liberation is about hardware. Anyone can legally, illegally or quasi-legally get a copy of the mac OS (or others), but without a system to run it on, it's not worth much. and so we rescue hardware from dumpsters, thrift stores, closets...

and then we put them to good uses. Some of the best uses are for education. A/UX is another UNIX system to learn, and when you learn something new, your mind changes, and you look at everything just a little differently. How much will useing A/UX help in my use of OS X? Quite alot I think. *NIX is UNIX is Linux is A/UX is Darwin...

I don't have alot of use for 8 computers running the Mac OS. But, I DO have uses for an A/UX system, a Linux m68k system, Mac OS X, a Mac 9 for burning and useing software that sucks in Classic, my router, my new data aquisition macheine, a serial terminal to my OS X and A/UX boxes...

no computer that works should ever be discarded. It's wasteful to the extreme. Learn from them, or get them to someone who will.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  16:33:01
quote:

no computer that works should ever be discarded. It's wasteful to the extreme. Learn from them, or get them to someone who will.

well said, comrade!

an associate from the old days was fond of saying:
"a CPU is a terrible thing to waste!"

as far as i am concerned 90% of people could do 90% of any computing the would ever NEED to do, with clarisworks on a 68000 or MSWorks for DOS on an 80286. granted, not nearly that high a percentage could do everything they needed to do and the www has made the resource requirements for the web ludicrous in the extreme, but that's not the point! there was a letter to the editor in macaddict from a woman who spent an obscene percentage of her monthly income on that publication and rode a bus much longer than any nyc commute just to get to a mac for e-mail correspondence. in setting up our toys and learning about how things were in the old days (or how some of us wished we we had had the resources to do them back then) we might be able to get some of those 90/90 and better systems into hands where they could do some real good. it's not very much in the estimation of anyone hanging here, but a 90/90 level computer in the hands of a kid with no prospects whatsoever for anything better, it's a window into a different world. my memories of the mac kids club are kickin' in here, so i apologize for the length and sappiness of the post, but i really think that with a little teamwork and effort, we could make a difference!

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  16:53:19
quote:

an associate from the old days was fond of saying:
"a CPU is a terrible thing to waste!"

I'm pulling this quote out of your post, cos it does sum up my feelings on the wastefulness of software. Pick a Mac running system 6 - say an SE/30 or so - or an Amiga 3000 (about the same) or a 386/486 with win 3.11 - about the same again. They browse in a basic sense, and like you said - 90% of 90% is doable with what they have. hell, even photoshop 3 works ok on a 68030. Take now, a PIII and G3 - say about 500Mhz. Just the CPU's alone are around 20 times faster in clock speed, they're FAR more efficient, memory is faster, hundreds of times larger, graphics cards immeasurably quicker, and HD space almost free. All of that power and all I seem to be able to do extra in photoshop is see it in a bit higher resolution, and run some features faster. The old stuff I used to do seems to clunk along the same speed as an older machine!. and wordprocessing - even less new features, but the same clunkiness in half the WP's. Imagine a brand new G4 with an OS and apps written specifically for the cpu, no "cpu speed will take care of this", with a set number of tasks and how it would fly. A graphic design workstation may need no more than mild networking abilities, and about 5 apps.

hrm. it's a bit too harsh, as continually rewriting the os/apps for the specific machine does get unwieldy, and many of the features which slow things some are those that speed up development and give the machine such a universal ability - my iMac (like all boxies) will be doing more than it was ever designed for, in 5 years.

No, there wasn't really any structure to this post people - just ranting :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  17:18:38
What I think is wonderful about vintage computers is that they've been around the block for so long that almost everything has already been done on them. It's easy and cheap to obtain them and to obtain the tools that will optimize them and make them even better than they were new. It's logistically unwieldy to take a new G4 and try to tweak it and find out all its potential when it's so new/under warranty, etc.

Of course, when someone like MarkyMark comes along and writes MpegDec, all the rules change. And, you never know, JT might someday see his dream of having USB on 68k's come true!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  17:38:06
quote:

Of course, when someone like MarkyMark comes along and writes MpegDec, all the rules change. And, you never know, JT might someday see his dream of having USB on 68k's come true!

The hardware never changes - but the OS and what runs on it can go through a dozen changes. a Q605 when new was a mac, but it didn't run 8.1 - an OS that wasn't dreamed of. And markymark does mpegdec, and adobe release PS4, and ... so on. Whats the commonality? Hardware!

(with feet, too)

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  18:48:54
I think that it's the whole shebang; but then I'm not a Linux fan...
There is a reason that it's called Mac OS, after all!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  10:21:55
Yea hi a Mac is anything that slaps MicroSoft and its cronies in the face.

Fleet Covert Ops

Padlock MagnetGo to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  23:33:20

interesting thoughts, all. hmm... maybe I can be of some use after all. "Tallgeese: 68k Philosopher, poet, and artistic thinker"
heh... an English major can do some things.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  12:39:18
for the most part I consider it a macintosh if it's running a graphic Operating system, or an operating system written and/or labeled by apple. for example, I would call a 7500 a unix box, if it was running freebsd, but it would be a mac with darwin.

That's just me though, I haven't been able to run anything other than the mac OS on any mac yet either... so I'm hoing to get A/UX or Rhapsody working.

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  17:58:52
Well, IMHO, a Mac requires both the hardware and software together (although software is more important than hardware). My wife and I fell in love with "LittleMac" (our 128k) back in 1984 because of the incredibly easy to use OS, MacPaint, and MacWrite. And, the cute little fanless AIO package was a bunch nicer than some ugly squatty IBM box with its growling fan and scary bazillion-key keyboard (who needs a "NumLock" key, anyhow?!). So, if you take away the friendly OS or the pleasant hardware design, you take away the "Mmmmm" and you are left with just "ac"!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  08:40:03
The hardware is the Mac.

That's why "About this Macintosh" was changed to "About this computer" back in the days of clones.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  17:12:16
I *might* just consider my Dell pentium 200 system a mac once I get Rhapdosy or Darwin x86 working on it. I was using it as a hard drive for my iMac, but I'm bored with NT

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.