UNIX on 68k
 you know what would be fantastic?
Author Topic  
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  20:58:53
(I caught a bit or two of this in that "A/UX n Quadras n stuff" topic in the lounge but...)

...if we could find (or modify/make) an *nix distro which any Mac kid (who is blissfully *nix ignorant, like me ) could install - a la Mac OS X

easy partitioning scheme...pretty GUI...the works...

any ideas?

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  21:36:08
Maybe if we could port KDE or GNOME to 68ks in our own Linux distro......we could tinker with the source code so they wouldn't be so resource-intensive.......add a completely graphical installer......that would be SWEET.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  21:53:04
quote:

Maybe if we could port KDE or GNOME to 68ks in our own Linux distro......we could tinker with the source code so they wouldn't be so resource-intensive.......add a completely graphical installer......that would be SWEET.

I've done little with the graphics side of linux - I did run gnome on the 630 for a little while, just to see how it went... and it was usable. However that machine being a webserver... I took it off later :D. It didn't run much different to the macos really. Never got resolution changing quite figured out, though... and enlightenment ran like a dog, but thats to be expected!

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  10:01:06
This sounds like a fabulous idea...we need to get on it! It would be great publicity for the site, too!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

darknerd
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  14:13:12
You can get MachTen 68K, which works on 68k machines. I first learned UNIX on this with my Quadra 840av. It works well and is easy to you, plus it runs on top of the Mac OS, so you get the "Best of Both Worlds". I compiled many programs on this, but there are some problems because it is BSD4.3, which is not POSIX compliant.

NetBSD has been around. I don't know how easy they are. Linux/m68k works, but can be tricky. I don't even know how to even get A/UX.

As for distributions, I think at one time there was RedHat, but I think they stopped that. No one is really interested to touch these antiquated machines. However, there's Debian, and one could always add value to this and make a nice GUI, and give it back to the group.

Partitioning utilities would be FWB ToolKit. It's a nice GUI and it works. I wouldn't make a partitioning utility myself, as this could be a lot of hard work with not a lot of interested users.

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  14:27:31
quote:

You can get MachTen 68K, which works on 68k machines. I first learned UNIX on this with my Quadra 840av. It works well and is easy to you, plus it runs on top of the Mac OS, so you get the "Best of Both Worlds".

That may be a good stepping stone up to the full-*ix-OS's, for people who've never touched one before, but are curious on how it works.

quote:

NetBSD has been around. I don't know how easy they are. Linux/m68k works, but can be tricky. I don't even know how to even get A/UX.

I ran debian with a 2.2.19 kernel, alongside NetBSD for a while on 2 68k's. NetBSD seemed a bit trickier using, even if its installer made more sense!. Linux seems just a bit fiddly by its very nature, especially when you have so much manual playing needed, like on the 68k installs.

quote:

Partitioning utilities would be FWB ToolKit. It's a nice GUI and it works. I wouldn't make a partitioning utility myself, as this could be a lot of hard work with not a lot of interested users.

The debian install instructions, which used HD SC Setup, were spot on I think, for my installs. It's a simple known prog that works and many mac users have looked around it before.

I had a bit more of a think on linux installs, and the initial setting-up of the machine with say, a 10Mb mac boot partition, the rest as linux and swap partitions, then installing a minimal macOS with the kernel booter - while explaining how all of it works - would be the most useful thing we could give to anyone wanting to start.

I think when I get back home, a re-install of debian might be needed... while taking lots n lots of notes :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  14:30:18
quote:

You can get MachTen 68K, which works on 68k machines. I first learned UNIX on this with my Quadra 840av. It works well and is easy to you, plus it runs on top of the Mac OS, so you get the "Best of Both Worlds". I compiled many programs on this, but there are some problems because it is BSD4.3, which is not POSIX compliant.

As for distributions, I think at one time there was RedHat, but I think they stopped that. No one is really interested to touch these antiquated machines. However, there's Debian, and one could always add value to this and make a nice GUI, and give it back to the group.

welcome to the 68kMLA, comrade!

<lunatic mode>
the pipe-dream that started this was actually to create a set of ready to rock installer CDs tailored to individual macs. they would basically do all the work without any interaction other than booting from CD and turning it loose on the HDD after clicking enough "ok, i REALLY want this thing to totally trash anything on the internal disk so as a novice i'll have something that works that i could never manage in a million years on my own" buttons on warning screens. there is a lot of software that can be useful to lot of people all over the world and a lot of 68k Hardware headed for landfills all over the planet. let's kick some @$$ and get more folks online!
</lunatic mode>

whatever,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  18:22:46
hmm... CAN we make an automated partition-making system?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  21:57:15
quote:

hmm... CAN we make an automated partition-making system?

we can... launch progs at the right time, much like A/UX... with applescript at least. and prolly hypercard. It'd come down to controlling the apple formatter

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.