All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Duo battery won't charge
Author Topic  
macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2002 :  14:19:18
I had posted about my Duo 280 in the PowerBook section earlier, My Duo's battery will not charge up when it is in the dock. It boots up, and the battery indicator in the menu bar shows the battery is low, and charging. However, after a few minutes, it ceases to charge, and the menubar indicator shows no charging going on, and the battery still low. I took a multimeter to it, and it shows the battery has 11.15 volts in it. When I try to fire up the 'Book out of the dock on battery power, it manages to chime, spin up the HD, and light the screen. It starts to boot, then it dies. I am pretty sure the 'Book's PRAM battery is dead, since it fails to keep the date and time. Could that be throwing off any power management on it and not letting the battery charge fully? Your help is greatly appreciated, since I really want to make this piece of 68K greatness operational again!

macdaddy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
68K Macs liberated : 9

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2002 :  14:35:43
Most likely it's just that the battery will not hold a charge at all, as is usually the case. It's a rare event indeed to find Type I-Type III battery that will hold a good charge, the best being about an hour's worth.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2002 :  14:44:18
Mine's a Type 3, and working batteries aren't cheap! So much for having my goal of obtaining truly portable 68K power... hmmm, maybe later on if I feel adventurous, attempt re-celling??? Not in the near future, though.

macdaddy
Go to Top of Page

thecube84

USA
56 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  10:28:39
i have a type III that lasts an hour and a half

--
//=\\ |L |E ><
|F (()) |R ||))
68k Macs Liberated: 5
(Im only 14, give me a break)Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  20:08:58
Let me guess....you want ME to revive your battery for you?
Only if you pay me a hefty sum.........

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  16:36:08
My brother brought it home this weekend...and I got it to charge....but it only lasts 5 minutes running normal apps, then it dies. I launched Battery Amnesia, and it took 1 hour, 45 minutes to discharge...Whats wrong with this thing?

Macdaddy's younger sibling...
68k Macs liberated : LCIII+
LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  19:51:43
Something quite wierd, I'd say, since BatteryAmnesia is meant to simulate the highest mA load the 'Book will do.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  14:46:52
I got it to run for an hour and a half......running ClarisWorks, with backlight on, hard drive spun up. I think its pram battery is dead, which is affecting the power manager.

LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  15:28:53
Recelling is the only option I can think of.

In the US there's someplace called American Battery (I think) that will recell batteries while you wait.

~marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  17:36:00
Well, he got it lasting an hour and a half - I couldn't even get it to run for more than a few seconds! Maybe there was just some bad mojo while having it here in the dorm room, since there are few Macs nearby. At home, it is surrounded with the company of many other Macs. Maybe that has something to do with it.....

macdaddy - 68KMLA Field Meteorologist
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  14:25:01
quote:

I got it to run for an hour and a half......running ClarisWorks, with backlight on, hard drive spun up. I think its pram battery is dead, which is affecting the power manager.

from 5 min. to 90 min. is quite an improvement! would you mind running thru the steps you took? i've got a few Duo batts that could use a tuneup!

tia

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  05:44:18
Sure... First, l put the duo in the (topless) duodock II (so I could use the kb), with battery in it, and fired it up. It didn't charge at all at first, but I removed the battery (while the duo was running), and put it back in. It started to charge, but only charged for about 10 minutes, and the battery got really hot. I pulled the battery again, let it cool off, and put it in again (with book running). It charged for another half hour, and then I shut it down, ejected it from the dock, and booted off of the battery. I messed with ClarisWorks, played a few games of solitaire, with the backlight on and hard drive spun up, and it lasted 90 minutes. I don't know why this strange procedure would revive a battery, it could be some kinda Duo voodoo. I think the charge, remove-let cool-charge again thing might have worked because the battery was completely discharged.

LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  06:30:35
quote:

Sure... First, l put the duo in the (topless) duodock II (so I could use the kb), with battery in it, and fired it up. It didn't charge at all at first, but I removed the battery (while the duo was running), and put it back in. It started to charge, but only charged for about 10 minutes, and the battery got really hot. I pulled the battery again, let it cool off, and put it in again (with book running). It charged for another half hour, and then I shut it down, ejected it from the dock, and booted off of the battery. I messed with ClarisWorks, played a few games of solitaire, with the backlight on and hard drive spun up, and it lasted 90 minutes. I don't know why this strange procedure would revive a battery, it could be some kinda Duo voodoo. I think the charge, remove-let cool-charge again thing might have worked because the battery was completely discharged.

thanks! i'll have to test that out.

it's interesting that the keyboard worked!
did the trackball work correctly also?
the LCD was blank correct?

i'm trying to hack either a MiniDock to use NuBus or a DuoDock to use the LCD and i really appreaciate that little tidbit you just gave me! Thanks!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  18:26:13
yes, the keyboard and trackball work, and yes, the lcd is blank... I just have a 14" monitor hooked up to the dock.

LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.