Mac II Line
 Project IIci - Back on the Table!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Mar 2002 :  13:46:42
Yesterday the Daystar Turbo040 card I got off eBay finally arrived, ahhhh yeah!

I opened up my dusty IIci and popped that gleaming, still-new card in its PDS slot, with it's humble, purple-grey MC68040 in heat-sinked glory. Next went in my PAS-16 audio card, an Asante 10bt ethernet card a SuperMac Spectrum 24 series IV video card. All it need now are eight 16MB 30-pin SIMMs to replace the eight 1MB chips currently in it and a hard drive. Because I've already removed the internal drive shelf, I might just leave it empty to help the 040 stay cooled and use an external drive to boot from. Well, maybe not.

It's too bad the ATTO II SCSI card I have seems to be DOA, as I wanted to have it in there for faster disk speeds. I guess I'll have to settle for 2.1MB/sec. Anyway, I can't wait to try out MpegDec on it and see what kind of performance I can get from the PAS-16's DSP. eventually, the rig is going to become a portable mix-down station for when my 7500 and/or my 840av can't get to my audio components.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Mar 2002 13:47:45

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Mar 2002 :  13:51:02
I'm also thinking about over-clocking the Turbo '040 card to 40MHz and adding a heavy-duty fan inside for extra cooling. A guy on AppleFritter did this successfully, though I am worried that it might cause issues with the PAS-16 card...

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  13:29:26
Okay, since I can't get the full-height 9GB Seagate drive to work in the external case I have (connected to the Quadra 840av), I'm going to use it in the IIci instead. Physically, the drive will fit in the IIci (since the hard drive shelf and the floppy have been removed), so long as it's surrounded by a non-conductive and shock-absorbing material (so as not to cause damage to the bare mobo, on which it will be resting), however, heat build-up (especially with the Turbo '040 only millimeters away) could become an issue. I might leave the top off when in use, so heat can simply float upward, unimpaired.

Anyway, I'm setting it up tonight. Other than the fact that it currently only has 8MB of RAM, it'll be complete. I'll have to take some pics!!!

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 25 Mar 2002 13:31:30Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 26 Mar 2002 :  20:41:36
Your IIci defintely owns my -32 / 230 / 32k cache card / system 6- IIci...

Well...at least mine runs 6.0.8 like nobody's business?

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  09:05:59
The system is going to be put together by Friday night, I haven't had time to get the hard drive setup, but I will then (and should be able to take pics). I'm just 8 little 16MB sticks of RAM away from completing my second 68k project-machine... then I have to start working on the LC 475 server...the Mystic ColorClassic gaming console...and the IIfx IP-router.

The work of a 68k soldier is never done!!!!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  09:42:14
quote:

The system is going to be put together by Friday night, I haven't had time to get the hard drive setup, but I will then (and should be able to take pics). I'm just 8 little 16MB sticks of RAM away from completing my second 68k project-machine...

great! have you finalized the HDD mounting arrangements yet?
i was wondering if mounting a bracket to the lid or fabbing one for inside the box might work?

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Mar 2002 :  10:44:11
quote:
have you finalized the HDD mounting arrangements yet?

For now, I'm just going to lay some kind of non-conductive material down on the mobo for the drive to sit on. There's a tiny bit of play between the top of the drive and the ceiling, so mounting it to the IIci's lid is not a bad idea at all!

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.