68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Conquests
 QFW68KPB Project: Update on Status Of Project!
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Mar 2002 :  00:54:15
Anyone remember my liberation project i dubbed the "QFW68KPB Project" i started a few months ago with a PowerBook 100?

For anyone who don't know what QFW68KPB stands for, its "Quest For a Working 68K PowerBook", which essentially, this is. For a while now, i've been wanting a 68k-based PowerBook. When i got a 100, i saw it had no floppy drive, hard drive, or HD internal ribbon. I got these parts, installed System 7.1 on the drive, and no dice. After 10 seconds, the machine goes to sleep, and short of replacing the logic board, there's nothing that can be done about this, sadly. On the other hand...

I have recently acquired a PowerBook 140 with a dead inverter board. I just opened up this baby, and, thanks to a service manual, i found that it has a Revision A display, which has the same display cable as the 145B's Revision C display. What this means is that i may be able to get my 145B working, provided all my other parts work, although the interconnect board may need replacing. If thats dead though, not to worry...i've got another in a dead 170. The 140/145/145B/170 all use the same interconnect board, so thats a Good Thing. They also use the same logic board, which got me thinking: Maybe I could replace the 145B daughtercard with the one from the dead 170, and use the machine as a 170, with all the extras that comes with it. You know, the ability to use that 6 meg ram stick i have, FPU, as well as the ability to use the standard System 7.1, instead of the special PowerBook 145B version. What gets better though, is that while i had the donor 140 open, i found it has a 200 meg hard drive! Score! Oh well, into the 145B that goes...imagine a machine set up like the following:

PowerBook 145B upgraded to 170 via a new daughtercard
8 megs of RAM
200 meg HD
System 7.5.5

The school holidays are coming up very soon, which will give me lots and lots of time to get this project done, and hopefully i'll be posting on here sometime within the next two weeks bragging about my new 68k-powered baby!

68k PowerBooks ROCK!!!!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

Edit - "use the machine as a dead 170", WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING???

Edited by - maclover5 on 21 Mar 2002 00:57:07

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  11:02:51
You should turn that dead powerbook into a PHKL.

http://www.exonome.com/fj/phkl/

68K's liberated: 0
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  11:16:30

I want to scream, vomit, and tear out my retinas all at the same time! I think there should be special punishment for anyone who would ever do that to a 68kPB.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  11:29:42
quote:

[font=Comic Sans MS]
I want to scream, vomit, and tear out my retinas all at the same time! I think there should be special punishment for anyone who would ever do that to a 68kPB.

or even a POS Dell! blech!

jt

p.s. thanks for the link, KM, i'll use it for retaliation somewhere at the first opportunity!

back again: this desreves its own thread in hacks, if we can come up with a fuglier freakin' hack it would be awseome. i'm thinking about crap like something designed by a tiki bar freak as a possible competitor. *shudders*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 24 Mar 2002 11:34:57Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  18:21:30
quote:

You should turn that dead powerbook into a PHKL.
http://www.exonome.com/fj/phkl/

I love it! It's hideous... but I love it!.

I pondered covering my imac in fluffy leopardprint, but thought that might be a problem heatwise...

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  18:27:48
quote:

I pondered covering my imac in fluffy leopardprint, but thought that might be a problem heatwise...

i was gonna make a crack . . . . but decided to rise above it!

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  20:50:53
lordy...that's...um...well...*vomits*...interesting?

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  16:12:33
HOUSTON: We have liftoff.

Yep, the Project is finally completed! Right now as i type this on my Mac based 68k Powered WebTV system, a machine designed around a 145B sits in my room waiting for me to launch its copy of Glider. Now this machine looks like a PowerBook 145B, but it is not. What I have is a purebred 145B with a 170 daugthercard. The specs are:

Full 8 megs of ram
80 meg hard drive (200 meg is dead. Platters won't spin or anything. )
PowerBook 170 daughercard, which gives me an FPU, the ability to use my 6 meg RAM stick, and a standard System 7.1 installation
External 2x AppleCD 300i
System 7.1, soon to be 7.5.5, as soon as i run the installer.

On Saturday i started to complete this machine, by gutting the poor dead 140 for its display cable, installing it in the 145B, and replacing the interconnect board, as I found it was dead. Unfortunately, i found that the onboard SCSI controller was shot, so I couldn't go any further until i got my other board out of storage. Last night i did the mobo swap, put in my 80 meg drive, reformatted, and installed System 7.1. Now i'm sitting here, typing this about my new baby. I guess this brings my liberated count to 6?

Unfortunately, the battery is dead. When its in, the battery DA claims the battery has a full charge, but if i unplug from the power adapter, i get a lot of horizontal lines flashing on the screen, and this bad-crackle-coming-from-the-speaker-which-doesn't-sound-very-good. Is there any way I can fix this?

Btw, i have one other problem. I don't know what to name it, nor do i know what model it is!

PowerBook 175B?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.