68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 I don't even think I want an 840av anymore...
Author Topic  
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Mar 2002 :  20:09:53
After all of these years of lusting, I think i'm going to finally give it up...it's gotten to the point where even if I do liberate one, then it wouldn't even hold a candle to cine's rig (yes, that's a compliment, cinemo, m'boy)...oh well...I'll just work on upping my 605...(dream rig: 64mb 72-pin SIMM module, full '040 [possibly chipped], 1+ gb HD - reality: 36mb RAM, stock 'LC040, 700 mb OEM IBM HD from dead 8100 [heh, heh])

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Mar 2002 :  13:33:12
Thanks, FireWire. Yesterday, my Yamaha CDR400 arrived in the mail, and I installed it in my faithful 840av. It's actually a CDR400t, which is tray-loaded, instead of caddy. I guess the seller didn't realize this, since they sent a caddy with it, anyway. I popped it in, fired up Toast 3.5 (thanks to JT!!), and it's burning in four speed like an absolute dream. My 7500 is jealous!

I haven't made use of the SpigotPower AV capture-accelerator card yet, as I want to max out the VRAM at 2MB (I just need two more 256k VRAM SIMMs!) and then put the Apple MultiScan 15" back on it, connected to the onboard video. I'm still trying to decide whether I should follow JT's advice and get a KVM switch to flop between the onboard video and the Radius 24Xk, find a desk bi enough to have both the Apple and the Sony 15" monitors side-by-side, OR ditch the 24Xk card (well, put it in another mac, really) and find some other nifty Nubus card to put inside it...

For instance, I've got my eyes on this ATTO SE-IV-D Nubus card...not that I need another Ultra-Wide SCSI host or even have room for any more drives inside the 840av, but it would be nice to have a differential RAID in another room, thanks to differential's long-distance cabling capacity!

I don't know what it is about it...there's just no other Mac that make me feel the way this 840av does...I feel like it'll never be complete, even though at present it very nearly is. Hell, I'm even planning on making a a psuedo-commercial for it, only in the style of Apple's current tv spots!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Mar 2002 13:56:44Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Mar 2002 :  14:01:37
Oooh, check this out! Yet another nifty Nubus card I could put in my Quadra...I love the little onboard speaker!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Mar 2002 :  15:21:23
Ooooh, here we go, I want one of these to take up that Nubus slot...then I can really get down and dirty!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Mar 2002 :  18:41:15
My 650 (72mb/1.2gb) just read that first post and criend

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.