Quadra / Centris
 SpigotPower AV !
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  12:39:52
On Saturday I (finally) received the SuperMac SpiogtPower AV card from an eBay auction! It was still shrink-wrapped, so it was a lot of fun opening it up like I was back in 1994. I'm going to have to bring my Apple Multi-Scan 15" back out of the closet and connect it to the on-bard video port, because the card only supports capture with the existing video.

I can still use my new sony 15" on the Radius video card, but I need to find more desktop space to have both (not to mention still need a VGA-to-Mac monito adapter that supports u to at least 1152x978) available. I also still need 2 or 4 256k VRAM SIMMs so that my 840av can have 2MB of VRAM, otherwise, the video display will only show in 256 color (even though the actual captures will be 24-bit). Anybody got any?

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  13:26:06
quote:

I also still need 2 or 4 256k VRAM SIMMs so that my 840av can have 2MB of VRAM, otherwise, the video display will only show in 256 color (even though the actual captures will be 24-bit). Anybody got any?

why can't you just use the multisync off the onboard video for capture? you're not really going to like that many pixels on a 15" tube anyway.

alternately, you could hook it up to an AB switch to use it off the Radius card or onboard video. my $60 mechanical ABC KVM switch from macwarehouse works great. using one would allow you to use those two boards and another cpu with the same monitor/keyboard/mouse/desk config you're using now. mine switches my 20" Radius between multiple resolution fsettings from three cifferent computers with no problems other than ADB mouse speed issues due to OS differences that ADBReset fixes with no problem any time it bothers me enough to fix for prolonged use.

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Mar 2002 :  09:10:03
quote:
why can't you just use the multisync off the onboard video for capture?

I can, it's just that I want to be able to see the accurate color on it when I'm capturing. If it's displaying the incoming video at 8-bit (even though it's actually capturing it at 24), I'll have a hard time setting the white balance, black levels, contrast, etc. etc.

quote:
alternately, you could hook it up to an AB switch to use it off the Radius card or onboard video.

That's actually a very good idea. Even though I do like the idea of having the dual 15" monitors side-by-side, current operating conditions prevent it, so a KVM would be a perfect solution!

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 19 Mar 2002 09:35:01Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Mar 2002 :  09:29:07
quote:

That's acdtually a very good idea. Even though I do like the idea of having the dual 15" monitors side-by-side, current operating conditions prevent it, so a KVM would be a perfect solution!

thanks, cinemo! workarounds are my specialty, at least they're the fun part anyway! make sure you look around for the link to the VRAM i posted for you in another thread somewhere.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Mar 2002 :  11:40:32
quote:

That's actually a very good idea. Even though I do like the idea of having the dual 15" monitors side-by-side, current operating conditions prevent it, so a KVM would be a perfect solution!

ok, now i've bot a CRAZY idea! have you got an open slot for a television tuner card if there is one available that you could loop the video back into and throw the 640x480 vidcap image into a window in a higher resolution desktop on the current multisync or better yet a larger one down the road so your controls are available next to the vidcap display?

sounds like the worm ouroboros chomping down on its own tail, but i thought you'd get a kick out of the notion!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Mar 2002 :  11:45:51
Nah, all three Nubus slots are filled. Of course, maybe I could try to find an elusive, multi-thousand-dollar Nubus expansion chassis!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.