Lounge
 I'm gonna cry
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  07:52:20
It's amazing that, no matter HOW well something works... there comes the time when it just doesn't like you.

I decided to clean the mac boot partition of my lc630 - the linux one. so I deleted the system after booting into 8.1 from CD, and went to mount my fileserver up as a volume, to then mount the disk images of 7.5.3 to install it - just like I'd done before - several times.

So from the 8.1 CD... I can't switch the LC630 to ethernet - it just errors when switching to the network. grr. My other machines still work ok with this network. After a few hours fiddling, I just -cannot- get any macOS to recognise ethernet on that machine, using any of 3 cards (2 LC, and one comm slot).

The slow way comes in handy - a printer cable to the powerbook, and I transfer the linux kernel and booter, and it's happy. The ethernet card works under linux for tcp/ip, and for appletalk too.

wau!

dana

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  08:19:30
quote:

The slow way comes in handy - a printer cable to the powerbook, and I transfer the linux kernel and booter, and it's happy. The ethernet card works under linux for tcp/ip, and for appletalk too.

...and when I booted back into macos after ethernet worked in linux, ethernet works fine there too.

Computers suck!

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  08:24:00
quote:

Computers suck!

invariably!

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  08:27:05
quote:

quote:

Computers suck!

invariably!

absolutely!

This -may- be linked to a problem I was having earlier with linux. I would boot into macos, and have to select appletalk control panel, then ethernet... otherwise booting into linux would just not let it detect there's an ethernet card there.

However, all being apple hardware, y'd think it'd be quite happy finding its own all the time - specially after 3 card swaps, cuda resets, pram zaps, a few different OS's and a smoochie on the front panel. (doesn't work btw :D)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  08:40:13
quote:

quote:

quote:

Computers suck!

invariably!

absolutely!

However, all being apple hardware, y'd think it'd be quite happy finding its own all the time - specially after 3 card swaps, cuda resets, pram zaps, a few different OS's and a smoochie on the front panel. (doesn't work btw :D)

be happy, for a weendows box ya'd have to plant the smoochie on the back panel and it still wouldn't work btw

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  08:48:13
quote:

be happy, for a weendows box ya'd have to plant the smoochie on the back panel and it still wouldn't work btw

Eeeee that's dirty talk!. Penance is installing windows 95 on a 386...

... from floppies.

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  09:21:48
quote:

Eeeee that's dirty talk!. Penance is installing windows 95 on a 386...

... from floppies.

reminds me of my favorite comic from the back of pc magazine:

two guys are resting their backsides against the kitchen counter drinking beer as the womenfolk prepare thanksgiving dinner. (not even offering to help, apparently!) one of the women is cramming the stuffing into the cavity on the backside of the main course (a turkey) while the other one holds it down, which prompts on nerd to lean over to the other to comment: "say, that reminds me . . . . . i loaded Windows 95 on my 386 this week!"

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Mar 2002 14:36:09Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Mar 2002 :  14:45:55
I still get calls from AT&T WorldNet customers running Win 95 and need to reinstall Dial Up Networking from the original floppies. The worst is when their winsock files get corrupted, and you have to boot into DOS and type in a command line longer than the Gettysburg address to run the extract tool.

On the bright side, we just stopped supporting Win 95 version A, and hopefully the rest will be phased out soon, as well.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.