All Forums
 Mac II Line
 IIsi strange thing in the back
Author Topic  
raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  12:28:03
seems to be some kind of graphics card. I assume it's located in the Nubus slot. Haven't opened it up. The card seems to have a 9-pin male connector on the end of the card. Any clue?

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  13:47:57
Thats an AUI networking card. There were a lot of IIsis that shipped with this strange beast, although today, noone uses AUI, as it has been replaced by RJ-45 long ago. If there's an RJ-45 port there, then you can just plug it into a network, although if there's no RJ-45 and you want to add one, just take it out, (its a NuBus card), and stick another board in there.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  13:54:51
quote:

Thats an AUI networking card. There were a lot of IIsis that shipped with this strange beast, although today, noone uses AUI, as it has been replaced by RJ-45 long ago. If there's an RJ-45 port there, then you can just plug it into a network, although if there's no RJ-45 and you want to add one, just take it out, (its a NuBus card), and stick another board in there.

live and learn! i didn't know about yet another ethernet standard, did they make those things for apple //'s? i think that may be what BigSadhu was asking about on one that he liberated (i think that's who it was anyway).

was AUI a simplified version of the DB15 ThickNet implementation?

jt

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  16:53:30
A lot of Cisco routers and switches still come with AUI ports on them, I think they are are for trunking or something similar. There is a dongle you can get to turn AUI into RJ45, you can most likely buy 50 of them off of Ebay for 3 bucks (or at least a lot cheaper than a Nubus card).

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  21:38:48
quote:

There were a lot of IIsis that shipped with this strange beast, although today, noone uses AUI, as it has been replaced by RJ-45 long ago.

That shipped with them? I wouldn't think Apple would bundle things like that back in the day...

I liberated a IIsi which had one of those cards, by the way (third party - "Cabletron systems")...it had a 9pin->PhoneNET adapter...the card also had 2 coax-esque connectors...

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 16 Mar 2002 21:39:43Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  05:50:16
sorry guys! I thought I was right, bot nooooo.

It's a 15-pin male connector. Rerun?

Fleet Covert Ops

Padlock MagnetGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  06:35:20
quote:

I liberated a IIsi which had one of those cards, by the way (third party - "Cabletron systems")...it had a 9pin->PhoneNET adapter...the card also had 2 coax-esque connectors...

No joke... they make wireless LAN cards nowadays!

Anyway, I've got one of those 9-pin PhoneNET thingos for original Macs, darn company shipped it to me instead of a regular mini-DIN8 one.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  07:23:24
quote:

sorry guys! I thought I was right, bot nooooo.

It's a 15-pin male connector. Rerun?

that'd be ThickNet, it should have oddball metal tracks instead of screw down lugs like a mac's monitor port, and i have no idea how it works. the coax-esque thingos are for ThinNet and they're bad news if one of the computers on a net goes down and most of the ones i have found have a 10baseT (RJ-45 socket) or a ThickNet connector on the card also. once in a great while you'll find one by itself on a card and it won't work even if you get all the crap to test it. if it's from DCA it might be a Token Ring card for talking to the IBM mainframe you might find in a dumpster (or filling a barge) someday so hold onto it. i think i got a second one from the stack of IIfx's, but i haven't checked the numbers.

jt

p.s. the connectors with the little holes for pins to poke into are the FEMALE connectors and they're intended for the insertion of those little pins inside the RFI shielding shell on a MALE connector. When it comes to Centronics connectors it's a little more complicated for sex determination, but not as bad as on a croc (ick!).

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Mar 2002 07:47:46Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  07:29:40
It's a really think coax cable, with weird clamp-on connectors that tap into the conductor. And that is the extent of my Thick-Net knowledge!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  07:56:31
quote:

It's a really think coax cable, with weird clamp-on connectors that tap into the conductor. And that is the extent of my Thick-Net knowledge!

maybe we can get marchie to write up an info sheet on early networking standards for 68k's as content for the site. i'm curious as to what kind of equipment and topology was used for ThickNet. terminology and identification characteristics for the cards/connectors would be a handy thing to have on the site.

jt 8]

p.s. wireless networks! what do you use for a freakin' firewall, aluminum foil? i'm having enough trouble with this newfangled interface crap for arpanet!

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  11:52:14
If I remember correctly it is a bus topology, there are no hubs or anything, the cable just runs from computer to computer and there is a little metal T connector that you put at each computer so the cable can run both in and out of it. The connectors are called BNC connectors, which stands for British Naval Connector. They stopped using it because it was hard to maintain, if one of the T connections failed, it would take down the entire network.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  13:07:15
quote:

If I remember correctly it is a bus topology, there are no hubs or anything, the cable just runs from computer to computer and there is a little metal T connector that you put at each computer so the cable can run both in and out of it. The connectors are called BNC connectors, which stands for British Naval Connector. They stopped using it because it was hard to maintain, if one of the T connections failed, it would take down the entire network.

that's the ThinNet setup, but i was wondering about the ThickNet DB15 topology and hardware. i checked and i've got another MAC IRMA II card from DCA in the box now. I think that's Token Ring, but i'm not all that sure on the terminology and i don't remember the number of the one in storage to cross-check it, but that was token ring when i ran the numbers down.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  14:56:02
Ethernet standards, ala Marchie.

The ones that look like Mac-style video (DB-15) are AUI connectors, AKA ThickNet. These used hubs and such, and these are the connections you will often find on current routers for connecting to other networking equipment. I have NuBus cards with his type of connection, but no MAc ever shipped w/ it on the MoBo.

ThinNet uses 75ohm sheilded coaxial cable. No hubs necesarily needed, although there could be. This is Ethernet useing a Bus topology, similar to PhoneNet/LocalTalk. Again, no Mac has shipped with this system installed.

The most common type of system these days is Ethernet using UTP (Unsheilded Twisted Pair) cableing, with RJ-45 (8 pin connections kinda like phones use) connectors. You could also use Sheilded Twisted Pair, but you generally don't need to, and it's expensive. Always use a minimum of Cat6 cableing. Anything less will wind up with lots of line noise. These can be of the 10baseT or 100baseT stnadard. 10bT uses 4 wires, 100bT uses 8.

The AAUI connectors (Apple AUI) are small, 15(?) pin funny looking things. The first MAcs to ship with Ethernet had these, and they require the use of an AAUI Adapter (10baseT adapters for sale from me in the Trading Post!) to convert them to 10bT, ThickNet or Thinnet.

My IIfx has the following cards in it:
Card w/ RJ-45 connection
CArd w/ DB-15 ThinkNet only
Card with AAUI conly
Card w/ RJ45, ThickNet, AND THinNet (only one will work at a time)

raWr's card has a 15 pin MALE connection... this is VERY odd. Macs have never(?) shipped with male port on them.

I'm lost as to what it is.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  18:17:06
quote:

CArd w/ DB-15 ThinkNet only

raWr's card has a 15 pin MALE connection... this is VERY odd. Macs have never(?) shipped with male port on them.

I'm lost as to what it is.

thanks, Marchie, very cool.
is ThinkNet a typo, a different standard or trade name?

what kind of card was fw mentioning?

did apple have an earlier AAUI connector? has anyone seen the mini centronics in use on anything but AAUI on a mac?

raWr got the number of signals wrong, i figured he might have miscommunicated M/F also, otherwise i'm stumped, even game ports are female DB15. the only male DB connectors i have ever seen on a card or backplane are PC serial ports.

very curious!

jt

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  10:16:51
quote:

p.s. the connectors with the little holes for pins to poke into are the FEMALE connectors and they're intended for the insertion of those little pins inside the RFI shielding shell on a MALE connector. When it comes to Centronics connectors it's a little more complicated for sex determination, but not as bad as on a croc (ick!).
Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Mar 2002 07:47:46

no shit!

quote:
raWr got the number of signals wrong, i figured he might have miscommunicated M/F also, otherwise i'm stumped, even game ports are female DB15. the only male DB connectors i have ever seen on a card or backplane are PC serial ports.

very curious!

jt

Sorry, it's female allright. I don't know where my brain was yeterday, but I'm guessing it might have been replaced with a giant black DB-15 port ;|

Fleet Covert Ops

Padlock Magnet

Edited by - raWr on 18 Mar 2002 10:17:55Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  10:58:48
quote:

quote:

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Mar 2002 07:47:46

no shit!

quote:

very curious!

jt

Sorry, it's female allright. I don't know where my brain was yeterday, but I'm guessing it might have been replaced with a . . . . . ;|

Fleet Covert Ops

Padlock Instigator!

Edited by - raWr on 18 Mar 2002 10:17:55

that's just about enough, raWr!
be a little creative and allude to such things and it might be entertaining, a more appropriate substitution would probably even be humorous.

jt >8-|

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  13:07:13
sorry.

heh

Fleet Covert Ops

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 18 Mar 2002 :  18:45:46
This is a family friendly forum, after all...

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 19 Mar 2002 :  01:38:14

Fleet Covert Ops

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.