First post: these are a few of my favourite thing
Author Topic  
K-man
Starting Member

Finland
10 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  08:20:58

New member K-man reporting for duty.

I discovered the Army just a few weeks ago. Joined the army a few minutes ago, and this is my first posting. Thought I'd tell you my life story...

I've been a 68k liberator for about a year and a half. It all started when the computing centre at my university was cleaning out their basement. I salvaged eleven Mac Pluses (sweet!), thirteen keyboards, one mouse (those rodents are hard to come by) and about twenty metres of Localtalk-cable. It's a good thing my girlfriend (we've since gotten married!) is a computer buff, too!

Three of the Pluses were broken (sad Mac at startup) but the rest were just fine. I've given three of them away to friends of mine.

Anyway, the computing centre had another cleaning spree last autumn. That time I got away with a IIsi, an LC475 and a Quadra 700. I also grabbed an SE/30, but I decided to spread the joy and passed that one on to a friend.

In addition to these legitimate liberations, I've also been given a IIsi as a gift, and gotten a Centris 650 as a "bonus" when me and my wife bought our house (!)

That's it, really.

----------
K-man
New recruit, fresh off the boat
68k Mac Liberation Army
68k Macs liberated: 14

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  08:25:29

Welcome.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  12:32:44
quote:

Anyway, the computing centre had another cleaning spree last autumn. That time I got away with a IIsi, an LC475 and a Quadra 700. I also grabbed an SE/30, but I decided to spread the joy and passed that one on to a friend.

In addition to these legitimate liberations, I've also been given a IIsi as a gift, and gotten a Centris 650 as a "bonus" when me and my wife bought our house (!)

That's it, really.

A pretty danged good start all around... combined with a partner who's a putertype as well, *AND* doesn't mind macs, what a bright future!. Welcome in :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  22:57:50
quote:

quote:

That's it, really.

A pretty danged good start all around... combined with a partner who's a putertype as well, *AND* doesn't mind macs, what a bright future!. Welcome in :D

i'll second that sentiment and offer a welcome also, comrade!
i'm glad you enlisted.

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  06:25:52
Welcome! Always good to see a fresh face.
Don't worry too much about the zaniness... it's all part of the fun!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  18:30:36
I've been lurking for a bit, but here's my story:

My main passion is collecting Atari VCS cartridges, and I was out at a flea market about 3 years ago looking for carts. It was a bit of a slow day, and I happened to stumble upon a seller with a Mac SE 2.5/40, with a keyboard and mouse. I picked it up for GBP15.

I got it home, plugged it in, and wow! All the memories of using Plus's and Classics at school came back. Well that was it...

I got hold of a 1mb Mac Plus from a friend. Another friend had found 2 SE's in the office cupboard. He had no idea how to use them, and invited me to pick them up and take them away for free. I travelled 300 miles to pick these up. I got home, and both tubes were shot. Bummer.

I stripped these and bumped up the original SE to 4mb (even the hard drives in the bust SE's were only 40mb so no point swapping) and kept the rest of the reusable parts.

Soon thereafter a friend on the net emailed me to say he had bought some stock from an old computer shop that had gone bust and that there were a few Macs in the lot. He wasn't interested in them, so I drove down one weekend to see what he had. I arrived and he took me out to his shed, where there was about 20 compact Macs lined up sat on the floor.

Going through them, about 10 were Classics, an odd Classic II, 6 Pluses and 2 512's. All the Classics were broken in one way or another, but 3 Pluses worked and One 512k. I stood agonising what to take - I simply hadn't got the space, and decided to take the 2 512k's, since I'd never seen these in the UK before. I left the rest, and left him advice as to how to sell the working units.

(Also with the Macs, was a Lisa 2 and loads of 5 1/4" Lisa Software in a disk box (for the Lisa 1!!). However, the guy was aware that these were probably worth something and wanted to hold onto it. I got back to him later on, but thats another story.)

I went on to pick up an external SCSI HD to go with the Plus, another Plus (4mb) and an SE/30.

A downturn in circumstances meant that now had no-where to store my Compact Macs, and I had no choice but to send them off to new loving homes. I was able to continue in a smaller capacity because I swapped the SE/30 for a PB145b 8/80 in excellent condition.

Since then, I picked up another Powerbook - a 160 8/80 that had a bust trackball assembly. I found the part and fixed it.
An LC475 20/160 followed, to take over as my main machine.

This will shortly be retired from frontline service when a PB540c with more mem and a larger hard drive takes over when it arrives this week.

Thats my story. I'm sad that I had to let my compact macs go, but they all went on to people without a computer, so I like to think that those Macs went on and did something useful, rather than just sitting idle.

The current lot won't get away so easy! :)

Cheers

Jobf

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  18:52:56
Welcome to you, too, new!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  19:51:19
quote:

I've been lurking for a bit, but here's my story:

welcome aboard, lurker! interesting story, may lots of new old macs and the space to keep them be in your future!

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.