Lounge
 ADSL for me for me...
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  00:43:24
So I signed up with the peoples who're doing adsl here - and went for the higher volume/slower option. I feel pretty neat about that, it still feels the right choice. The main thing I'm after is the permanence, and a few downloads. It's something I can always change, anyhoo. I'm able to run some servers which are low-traffic, which kicks! I'll have www.danamania.com back up & going at home now, and permanently so. I like that a lot!. It'd be rather cool to have the A/UX boxie online too, and doing something. That'll all come in time too!.

The only problem now is 2 family members who've already pounced on me and said "oooh you can download these movies for me!". aha. Oz ADSL, while this one isn't a bad deal, still isn't quite that useful, not without chewing bandwidth up!. For what it's worth, it's $89 a month oz money, for 256/64k, 4.5Gb downloads and a 3 month contract. I can afford to stay for those 3 months as a try-it-out, so I figure thats all good.

Now for the modem itself - I'm waiting until the ISP say that I'm definitely OK for adsl before splashing out - we have the odd REALLY dumb thing happening here, where telstra (the main phone co, and the ones who own all the lines) split lines, pair gain them, add optical links... all of which kinda negate adsl). Being able to see the exchange from my bedroom window though, means it's unlikely they'd have done that here. But I just don't trust Telstra :P

dana :D

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  15:57:14
Dunno if this is useful to you, but there was an Alcatel ADSL Modem going in the Trading Post this week for $200. The number is 9687 4666.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.