68k Conquests
 LC = LCIII?
Author Topic  
Snarg
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  13:58:41
While out in the field one day I spied, next to a dumpster, an LC and 12" RGB monitor that someone had tossed out but fourtunately didn't place in the dumpster itself. There was no keyboard or mouse but that was no problem due to having some extras at home.

Not one to pass up a free Mac, it came home with me that evening. Off came the cover - the insides were unbelievably clean. Some digging revealed that it is not an LC as the case would indicate but actually an LC III mobo in an LC case - sweet! It has a full 36 megs of RAM to boot.

My first liberation...this could get addictive.

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  14:05:03
quote:
My first liberation...this could get addictive.

Indeed, and the addiction never ceases!

P.S. - LCII to LCIII mobo upgrades were very common

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  14:24:42
36MB of RAM? Awesome!

Did it have the original HD (40MB), or was that also upgraded?

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  14:35:49
That reminds me of the day my local Apple reseller gave me 13 Macs. They decided to clear out the shop and I just happened to be there when the decision was made. That day was the motherload of clean machines... SI, LC II, LC III, 636, 410, 405, 400, 605. Needless to say I love my local dealer. I have given most of them a good home after checking them out and booting up fresh install of the appropriate OS. I told them to call me if they want me drag off anything else. They have gotten alot of free advertising from me. They are the place to go on the southside of Indy. Their DBA is "MacSelect". They are down home folks...I was shocked after dealing with "resellers" in California...most are jerks. The Indy "boys" gave me help with drivers and odd parts. They even let me peruse their shop and gave me a tour...when is that last time that happened to ya.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  14:42:09
Well, its always great to hear of another conquest! When you lifted the lid, did you try and see if it had a VRAM upgrade? Because if it does, you can get a 14" Macintosh Colour Display, and trust me...640x480 at 16 bit colour is very tasty on an LCIII, and an LCIII will take up to 768k, via the addittion of a 256k VRAM SIMM. If it doesn't have the extra VRAM, oh well...there's still 512k onboard.

Btw, remember to check out how big the hard drive is! With a machine that heavily upgraded (I'd kill to have 36 megs of ram in my LC475), i wouldn't at all be surprised it if had like a 500 meg!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Snarg
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts
Posted - 22 Mar 2002 :  11:24:26
Quick followup: the HD is a 40MB. No prob as this little surprise package also had a Syquest Flyer sitting alongside the dumpster. It does have a VRAM upgrade apparently - the card reads 4*8 Apple VRAM SIMM - can someone tell me abut this? Maclover, I'm assuming this is the 256k SIMM you mentioned.

BTW, is there a resident Quadra 950/WGS expert in attendance? It's not a pure liberation but I've got my eyes on a WGS 95 and
WGS 9150 on ebay...very tempting.

Thanks guys.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Mar 2002 :  16:20:05
quote:

the card reads 4*8 Apple VRAM SIMM - can someone tell me abut this? Maclover, I'm assuming this is the 256k SIMM you mentioned.

BTW, is there a resident Quadra 950/WGS expert in attendance? It's not a pure liberation but I've got my eyes on a WGS 95 and
WGS 9150 on ebay...very tempting.

Yes, that would be a 256k VRAM SIMM (has two chips on it, correct?)

Hmmm...danamania, ~Coxy, and Marchie all have 950s...might want to ask them...(if the WGS 95 has the PDS card that has another SCSI bus + more cache - grab it!, those are mighty tasty)

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2002 :  05:13:02
Hmm, anything you want to know about the 950 you can ask in the Quadra/Centris forum!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2002 :  21:30:13
quote:

Hmm, anything you want to know about the 950 you can ask in the Quadra/Centris forum!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.

oh yeah...good call!

*takes out '040 Stick of Justice™, admires, then puts back in holster*

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.