Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Hacks
 Torx Screws
Author Topic  
markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  04:22:35

Anyone have any hints about dealing with those there Torx Screws on the Baby Macs.

I used a Torx Drill Bit plugged into a screwdriver extension to get mine out.

The width of the screwdriver extension just made it into the case screw hole.

Then I used a flat knife as a case cracker.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  05:48:40
quote:

Anyone have any hints about dealing with those there Torx Screws on the Baby Macs.

I used a Torx Drill Bit plugged into a screwdriver extension to get mine out.

The width of the screwdriver extension just made it into the case screw hole.

Then I used a flat knife as a case cracker.

Heh...i have this long shafted flat bladed screwdriver that fits perfectly into the screws on compacts, and after i have all the screws out, i can use it to lever the back case out enough so all i have to do is pull. Thats one terriffic screwdriver...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  06:41:45
quote:

Heh...i have this long shafted flat bladed screwdriver that fits perfectly into the screws on compacts, and after i have all the screws out, i can use it to lever the back case out enough so all i have to do is pull. Thats one terriffic screwdriver...

cool, but get a simple stamped sheet metal spring clamp and flatten the tip. the old memory upgrade tool kits included that, a static strap and a long allen wrench that was bent into a "T" handle. maybe somebody knows the exact size or test fit one of the surface mount screws. i'll bet that cutting and tapping the long straight part of an allen wrench into a piece of metal tubing and/or epoxying or soldering it would be the easiest tool to make. lopping off the shaft of a torx screwdriver or the tip of a driver bit would be more elegant. now that i think about it, buy a torx screwdriver or "T"-handled driver and the proper i.d. metal tube and solder/braze/weld the extension in between after sawing the shaft in half and you'll have a cheap long handled Torx-Tool if sears or snap-on don't have the proper length available separately.

sorry about the stream of semi-consciousness!

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.