68k Peripherals
 Those ImageWriter II DIP switches...
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  23:47:26
One question: The ones underneath the top cover on my ImageWriter II, what are they?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  07:18:54
I guess I shouldn't have thrown out that bound Image Writer II user manual...

check Apple's user guide download section (linked to on our site)...but some of the older ones are only text...

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  07:33:15
quote:

I guess I shouldn't have thrown out that bound Image Writer II user manual...

check Apple's user guide download section (linked to on our site)...but some of the older ones are only text...

NEVER throw out for-real paper based docs! i've got all kinds of documentation for long gone hardware that i'm starting to look into re-acquiring along with some interesting docs for things i've never had, but found without the hardware. keep an old footlocker as a low table/techie hope chest kinda deal with some collectable bric-a-brac or your kid's artwork on top for misdirection of any misguided folks who don't share your passion for this crap!

my manual is out on loan with the imagebanger somebody gave me. if you can't find it i can probably find out in a few days. meanwhile, google the crap out of it!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  10:43:00
They set the communication speed of the serial port, as well as a few other things. I put the pages I printed off in a box while packing so I can;t tell you exactly. Search for ImageWriter II DIP and you should find the tech note in Apple's Knowledge Databse.

Odds are, you have no need to move them, and in fact 5 and 6 you should never ever move, even if you DO have need to move them, since if you move them the printer stops working.

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  10:55:06
quote:

They set the communication speed of the serial port, as well as a few other things. I put the pages I printed off in a box while packing so I can;t tell you exactly. Search for ImageWriter II DIP and you should find the tech note in Apple's Knowledge Databse.

Odds are, you have no need to move them, and in fact 5 and 6 you should never ever move, even if you DO have need to move them, since if you move them the printer stops working.

maybe that's a feature? apple hardware, think erattically!

T3dujour: (Troubleshooting Terminology Term of the Day)

er·rat·ic Pronunciation Key (*-r*t*k) adj.

1.Having no fixed or regular course; wandering.
2.Lacking consistency, regularity, or uniformity: an erratic heartbeat
3.Deviating from the customary course in conduct or opinion; eccentric: erratic behavior.

[Middle English erratik, from Old French erratique, from Latin errticus, from errre, to wander. See ers- in Indo-European Roots.]

er·rati·cal·ly adv.

jt

Edited by - alcoa on 15 Mar 2002 11:03:05Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  12:05:20
quote:

NEVER throw out for-real paper based docs! i've got all kinds of documentation for long gone hardware that i'm starting to look into re-acquiring along with some interesting docs for things i've never had, but found without the hardware. keep an old footlocker as a low table/techie hope chest kinda deal with some collectable bric-a-brac or your kid's artwork on top for misdirection of any misguided folks who don't share your passion for this crap!

Well at the time, I didn't have an ImageWriter (still don't...not really wanting one either)...the manual smelled funny too

--------------------

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  12:26:04
quote:

quote:

NEVER throw out for-real paper based docs!

Well at the time, I didn't have an ImageWriter (still don't...not really wanting one either)...the manual smelled funny too

wuss! and have you forgotten about that microquadra/macintosh portrait display/imagebanger/quicken/checkprinting/laserwriter II__/wordless processing workstation/beige/platinum/technology demonstation of the cachet of 68k computing already!

jt

back again: and you're gonna feel REALLY dumb when you finally score a thunderscan if haven't got a ribbon cartridge machine to swap it out and be able to play with it! if anybody finds an imagebanger wide carriage, GRAB IT! what a huge freakin' TOY with a thunderscan's red laser dot buzzing across a big @SS page!

Edited by - alcoa on 15 Mar 2002 12:32:56Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  21:11:02
quote:

back again: and you're gonna feel REALLY dumb when you finally score a thunderscan if haven't got a ribbon cartridge machine to swap it out and be able to play with it! if anybody finds an imagebanger wide carriage, GRAB IT! what a huge freakin' TOY with a thunderscan's red laser dot buzzing across a big @SS page!

What exactly is a "thunderscan", again?

(ribbon cartridges for the ImageWriter II are still available...they're regular stock at my local MicroCenter)

--------------------

--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 16 Mar 2002 21:11:50Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  21:42:16
quote:

What exactly is a "thunderscan", again?

Thunderscan: a lesson for the whiz kids!
*wonders why it is that the only google addict around here is a technosaur?*

http://www.channld.com/mmn84.html

quote:

ThunderScan was the first document and
image scanner for a personal computer
(thank you, Andy Hertzfeld)! A cleverly
designed optical cartridge replaced the
ribbon cartridge in the (dot-matrix, 144 dpi)
ImageWriter printer. The document was fed
through the printer for scanning.
(Remember, this was in 1984).

From LEM:
http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/010606mm.html

quote:

Thunderscan was a format created by a company of the same
name. Thunderscan created a scanner that clipped on in place of
the ribbon in an ImageWriter II! All one did was hand feed the text
or image into the printer and let the machine scan it into a file.
Thunderscan may be the most ingenious Apple peripheral ever
invented.

http://www.tcp-ip.or.jp/~danbo/thunderscan.html
http://www.kohshin-graphic-sys.com/MUSEUM/utility/thunderscan/thunderscan.html

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  21:50:22
Well, thank you, Sir!

--------------------

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  21:54:51
quote:

Well, thank you, Sir!

de nada!

jt

p.s. box & contents in 'peg are over in the storage room with the ImageBanger Wide Carriage Scanner Chassis and the Magic Video Digitizer and Camera that prompted the purchase of my first mac as part of a "video to vinyl" (vertical market var product) signmaking solution!

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  11:06:36
hey, fw! here's another one:
http://www.macnexus.org/newsletter/issues/JUL99/15th_anniv.gm.html
quote:

Early Desktop Scanners

Be careful of what you wish for or joke about because it might come true. In 1981, one author of this book, David Busch, proposed, but only in jest, a scanner built around a dot-matrix printer with a sensor replacing the printhead. Four years later, he found himself the proud owner of a device called ThunderScan, which operated in exactly the way he'd joked about, using the Apple ImageWriter.

This first deskt op scanner was slow (requiring many minutes to capture even a small image), captured only black-and-white (not grayscale or color) graphics, and was saddled with relatively low resolution. Alt hough wildly popular for a few years, ThunderScan eventually va nished from the scene as more advanced scanners became available. Some vestiges of the concept can be found in a few low-end scanner attachments for inkjet printers (costing less than $100 for the scanner add-on). These attachments can transform the hard copy device into a document grabber by swapping a few components.

The black-and-white images produced by ThunderScan have a distinctive look.
note: see image in post linked above -jt

Flatbed and sheet-fed scanners similar to those we use today followed within a few years, but the best of these cost $5,000 or more, at a time when you could purchase a new pickup truck for the same amount of cash. Desktop scanning didn't take off until the late 1980s, when Hewlett-Packard introduced the original ScanJet, which could capture up to 16 different gray tones and cost only a few thousand dollars ($2,500 to be exact). Good-quality grayscale scanning requires more than 16 different levels, of course, so HP followed its initial scanner product with the ScanJet Plus, which could capture up to 256 different tones.

are capture, deskpaint, superpaint, an early rev. of pagemaker or fontographer or the original digital darkroom on the hotline server? i might have a few paleolithic graphics apps that somebody might like to play with on a 128k, 512k or a Plus in a box someplace around here. is there a listing of available 68k goodies that a technosaur like me could check his toybox contents against just in case?

jt

]

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Mar 2002 11:11:17Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.