Lounge
 Wild Japanese 68k Mac Scrounge-Sites
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Mar 2002 :  15:45:27
While looking for images of various NewerTech Duo peripherals, I came across a few new and exciting Japanese 68k-realted sites of interest. Here they are, along with some of the cooler pages from their domains.

The first site I found is called No Name Junk Shop. I didn't dig around it that much, but JT and others, you may want to see what you can find there. I did find a page with a Sun SpacServer 1000, which I would have bought for $5(!) if the stupid thrift store hadn't sold it to someone else even though I had it on hold!

The second site I found, which was much more interesting, is Magical Centris!
This site is devoted to, you guessed it, the Centris line. They seem to be in some sort of 68k Linux number-crunching competition, similar to SETI@Home, and have the name "Team Centris for RC5".

Toward the bottom of the main page, there's a list of links to different machines they use. One of the coolest is a IIci with what I gather is a Centris 650 mobo transplant and an over-clocked '040 running at 44.33MHz (notice the big cooling fan above it) with 136MB of RAM and a 2GB Seagate drive. Check out those Speedometer scores!

Here's another goodie from their site, a Centris 610 with a Sonnet QuadDoubler 50MHz '040 card and an ISDN Nubus card!!! Kick arse!!! It seems that they're using it as some sort of web server or cluster... Check out those scores, it's faster than my stock Quadra 840av!! Blast!!

If you think that's fast, check out this Centris 660av, which again has a Sonnet QuadDoubler. Only, this time the 040 has been over-clocked to 56MHz(look all the way down at the bottom of the page)!! That's the fastest 68k mac I've ever seen!!!!!!! There goes my hopes of my Quadra ever taking that title...

They also have a link for a download of something called the AV Turbo ROM, which is for Quadra 660av and 840av's. I have no idea what it does, but from what I can tell, it might speed-up graphics performance. I suppose I can test it out later on my Quadra!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 13 Mar 2002 16:53:04

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 13 Mar 2002 :  18:15:09
quote:

They also have a link for a download of something called the AV Turbo ROM, which is for Quadra 660av and 840av's. I have no idea what it does, but from what I can tell, it might speed-up graphics performance. I suppose I can test it out later on my Quadra!

i googled "turborom" found a couple of sources and quoted part of the .txt enclosure:

http://www.rpi.edu/~ernesm/info/archive.umich.edu/mac.bin/system.extensions/cdev/AVturboROM%20:c4/

quote:

Enclosure: AV Turbo ROM

Second in the hopefully long series of my enhancements to the AV ROMs is a simple control panel which copies the ROM down into RAM. This speeds up things because the CPU can access RAM much faster than ROM. However, there is a catch. The ROM code will now be writeable, which can be nasty if any of the ROM code, or a errant program modifies it. Use it at your own risk.

second source and some other interesting utilities also:
http://ftp.chaven.com/pub/Macintosh/Utilities/

interesting stuff cine! we just need to recruit an interpreter!

jt

=8-)

p.s. thanks for deep sixing that other topic! dit it work?

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  14:09:32
I've got the AV TurboROM running on my Q840av, now. It came with a read me file with the same text. Writable ROM is a pretty neat idea, even if it opens up a potential can 'o worms. JT, can you think of any interesting programming I could try with it? I wonder if it could be a potential solution to the USB-68k dilemna (i.e., writing USB device drivers/what have you to the ROM)? Or, could it be used to overwrite the startup sound?

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 14 Mar 2002 14:11:50Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  19:07:20
If anyone wants the fastest IIfx in the world...

Motorola made a 50 MHz 68030, as I found out on their website. You'd need to find someone willing to sell it in unit quantities, tho!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  20:27:35
quote:

If anyone wants the fastest IIfx in the world...

Motorola made a 50 MHz 68030, as I found out on their website. You'd need to find someone willing to sell it in unit quantities, tho!

I have one of those sitting here on my Amiga accelerator... *snuffle*... which is useless until I find an a1200 I can borrow, to connect the HD/accel to, and then get 10 years of my old piccies again!. (no, I didn't backup... not that anything I have now could do much with those backups anyhoo)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  21:21:36
WOW.
I thought that we were obsessed.....
How did you translate these pages? Babelfish?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  08:33:35
Anyone want a 550c with a 100 MHz PPC? Just $440 AUS or $230 US.
Newton 2000? $386 US...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  09:55:18
quote:
I thought that we were obsessed.....
How did you translate these pages? Babelfish?

Macs are hugely popular in Japan. It's like another universe of Macdom...

As for translating, you'd first need a Japanese character set browser plug-in, then use babelfish to translate the characters to English text, then try to make sense of the results.

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 15 Mar 2002 13:03:56Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.