All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 PowerCD
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  03:42:05
So how much is one of these puppies worth? I saw one in my local UME (Used Mac Emporium) yesterday, but someone had just put down a deposit (don't ya hate it when that happens?). They were asking AU$150... thats US$75... seemed kinda expensive for a poxy external CD drive...

The guy claimed they need a special driver which wasn't available any more... surely it must be floating around on the net.

I have kind of a fetish about BlackMac stuff, so this would have fitted in well... along with the 520c and the black ADB mouse II (used once...by me).

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
2 Powermac 6100s

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  05:20:09
quote:

thats US$75... seemed kinda expensive for a poxy external CD drive...

it may only be a 1x drive, but it's WAY cool.
quote:

The guy claimed they need a special driver which wasn't available any more... surely it must be floating around on the net.

it does, got one, got disks/manual, nopro! if the one there has the remote with it, raise the offer. the PowerCD can do a Photo CD slideshow all by itself when you hook it up to a TV, makes a very cool stand-alone music CD hooked up to a set of powered speakers and the base has a battery compartment to use it with a PB when ac outlets are unavailable.

maybe it is a bit pricey, i don't know, but i'd probably buy it just to have a spare.

and it looks cool!

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  06:53:28
I wish my PowerCD had an AC adapter, or worked. I tried putting known good fully charged batts in it, and turned it on, and it d didn't do anything.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  07:02:13
quote:
it does, got one, got disks/manual, nopro!

Suggest as a good candidate for the MLA hotline server.

quote:
if the one there has the remote with it, raise the offer.

I'll check finances and have another look monday.

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  07:18:35
Working PowerCDs tend to go for about 40 dollars on Ebay. I have seen broken ones for as low as 15 dollars.

Question, does the PowerCD play VCD's?

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  11:03:25
I'll search today for those PowerCD software/manuals. TiMac out...

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  16:19:43
quote:

Working PowerCDs tend to go for about 40 dollars on Ebay. I have seen broken ones for as low as 15 dollars.

Question, does the PowerCD play VCD's?

i was tempted to say i doubt it, but i got curious and looked.
started here:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2496/vcdfaq.html#cdi
my manual is 1993 copyright which was the year the VCD spec was created, but the index and list of formats supported do not mention VCD or even the earlier CDi format, for that matter.

for VCD playback on standard CD_ROM drives, MacVCD looks very promising:
http://www.mireth.com/macvcd.html
http://www.mireth.com/text/faq_mvme_support.html

PowerCD info:
http://www.geocities.com/kdjones74/Apple/apple_powercd.html

there's a quote there, but i wouldn't put much faith in this guy's statement (it's a 1x drive and his MIGHT have autotermination, but i kinda doubt his statement of ownership, the thing falls off its base very easily)
"I got that one. It will play Video CDs of some format, but not sure if its the standard VCD. Its a 2x drive, with autotermination. I didnt know the base was detachable....."

dunno, kinda doubt it, but i kinda doubt my own judgement lately.

jt

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  17:30:57
quote:

I'll check finances and have another look monday.

check out this site first:
http://homepage.mac.com/wtnb/powercd/powercd1.htm

now i need a new pair of speakers.
iwannem! iwannem! iwannem! iwannem! IWANNEM!!!!!!!!!

*so much for achieving that new level of maturity! *

this one looked pretty good too:
http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~bigtads/prcd.html
*see footnote

Thanks for posting, Big (explanation of your handle would be appreciated, btw) i pulled mine out of the drawer and noticed battery leakage from the remote, it's fine, nice save!

good luck!
jt: technosaur

p.s. still clueless re hotline loads (up & down), but i would be happy to e-mail said drivers for uploading by one of (young whipper-snappers! ) the troops. i would also appreciate a little feedback (marchie &cinemo!) on the other stuff i tried to provide for upload.

*the power adapter spec in the pic on this site looks different than mine, but i have one, so i didn't snatch and examine it closely, if somebody else (maclover5 comes to mind ) wants to check that 'peg and determine which one he needs, i can provide my info and i think a universal adapter should be fine to run a PCD without an adapter. *HINT!*

Edited by - alcoa on 09 Mar 2002 17:34:57Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  19:45:26
quote:
if somebody else (maclover5 comes to mind ) wants to check that 'peg and determine which one he needs, i can provide my info and i think a universal adapter should be fine to run a PCD without an adapter. *HINT!*

Hmm i had a look at the Japanese site, and theirs was rated at 10V DC 1.2 amps. Maybe if i can find an adapter that matches those specifications...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  20:07:28
quote:

quote:
if somebody else (maclover5 comes to mind ) wants to check that 'peg and determine which one he needs, i can provide my info and i think a universal adapter should be fine to run a PCD without an adapter. *HINT!*

Hmm i had a look at the Japanese site, and theirs was rated at 10V DC 1.2 amps. Maybe if i can find an adapter that matches those specifications...

mine is 10V DC 1.0 amps (center positive as on that site)
my input is AC 120V 60Hz 22w

i have the earlier rainbow logo rev. i gotta get those matched speakers!

jt

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  21:03:46
The PowerCD software is on the hotline server... TiMac out...

Jeremy

Covert Ops
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  04:11:16
quote:

Good work Jeremy!

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  04:13:45
quote:
(explanation of your handle would be appreciated, btw)

A Sadhu is an Indian Holy man, who generally runs around naked performing mortifications on his body and smoking large amounts of ganja...

"Big Sadhu" was an amusing character in Naipaul's An Area of Darkness, a novel I read while circumnavigating India on my Royal Enfield Bullet http://www.royalenfield.com/ in 2000.

Thanks for asking!

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  05:04:01
quote:

"Big Sadhu" was an amusing character in Naipaul's An Area of Darkness, a novel I read while circumnavigating India on my Royal Enfield Bullet http://www.royalenfield.com/ in 2000.

sounds like an awesome journey, nice bike! i thought it sounded indian, thanks or the info. it would be interesting to hear more about your trek.

jt

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  05:09:01
quote:

that was fast, Ti! did you find a good copy of the .pdf manual? i tried to download one from one of the sites i posted, but got errors and no data when i tried to open it. it would be interesting to compare it with my woodpulp based revision. if anybody has it, could you r-mail it to me, please.

jt: technosaur

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  14:05:24
I'm leaving right now but I'll try my best when I get back and report back tonight or tommorow, TiMac out....

Jeremy

Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  14:56:09
quote:
sounds like an awesome journey, nice bike! i thought it sounded indian, thanks or the info. it would be interesting to hear more about your trek.

I've got plans for travelogue website, but its on the far distant backburner right now. I'll let you know when I get around to putting it up.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  19:28:02
INCOMING TRANSMISSION>>>?@#D_----> PowerCD manuals pdfs on the hotline server --#$(% TiMac Over and out...

Jeremy

Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  19:47:49
quote:

INCOMING TRANSMISSION>>>?@#D_----> PowerCD manuals pdfs on the hotline server --#$(% TiMac Over and out...

*morse code over single solid copper conductor w/earth ground*
<message begins>
i don't do hotline <stop>
please forward via mail, soonest <stop>
i'm a dinosaur, remember! <stop>
tyia <stop>
jt <stop>
<meassage ends>

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  19:56:17
Until I read this thread, I'd never heard of this product. Now I'm dying to get one! Look at that thing! How incredibly cool! Insanely great? Well, it's a 1x drive...but very very cool! I'll need to keep my eyes open. Anyone know the original retail price?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  22:09:16
Probably less than you'll pay for it now...
Man, these are defenitely one of the great MLA uber-toys!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

TeffDogg
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2002 :  20:07:23
For those of you with a PowerCD without an AC adapter, I found a cheap and easy to find replacement: The adapters from the original Sega Genesis.

The PowerCD manual lists it's power requirements as 7-11 V DC, 1.2A. The Genesis I adapter puts out 10V DC, 1.2A. Perfect. It even has the proper sized connector.

The only problem is that the PowerCD wants center positive, and the Genesis I adapter is center negative. All this means is that you have to cut the adapter cord (or open the adapter case if you have the funky screwdriver required) and swap the wires.

Make sure you are using the adapter for the original Genesis (adapter model number 1602-3), not the smaller Genesis II adapter (also used for the Game Gear, adapter model number MK-2103), which only puts out .85A and has the wrong size plug.

I am using a Genesis adapter to power my PowerCD, and it's working great.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.