Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  01:32:13
So.

No Q950's!

But the 6300 works as well as a 6300 works - 40Mb/1.2Gb...

the Quadra 610 booted and... sounded much like a not quadra!. It's got a PPC card in it - What is it with me and spare ppc cards? (spare?! pfftt... I'll find a use for it!). CDROM, seems all okee

And some other stuff. a SCSI Scanner, 8x CDR, zip drive n about 10 disks and a couple of keyboards...

dana (that makes 35...)

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  04:00:23
quote:
dana (that makes 35...)

Holy Cow! You must have alot of space Dana (not to mention alot of power points!). Just 5 computers with monitors/keyboards/bits take up most of the spare room in my flat.

By the way, I've got a Linux question for you... but its not really 68k related, so I hope you don't mind if I e-mail you off forum.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
2 Powermac 6100s

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  04:05:43
quote:

Holy Cow! You must have alot of space Dana (not to mention alot of power points!). Just 5 computers with monitors/keyboards/bits take up most of the spare room in my flat.

Aiee... yes - well, no not a lot of space, just a lot of well-organised stacking, and only having about 5 machines running at any one time! I also have no real need to keep them out of my main room (it's a tiny 2 room flat) so - I deal!

As for the linux Q - my email isn't working. bah!. dingoblue's mail servers have been on-off lately...

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  04:21:16
Well, maybe I'll risk a slapping from the admins and ask you here...

Just picked up another 6100 (well, 6100s are ALMOST 68Ks...right?)... dual boot - 8.5.1 and MkLinux. The previous occupier unfortunately left his password active... I'd love to get in and have a poke around, but being a linux newbie I've got no idea if there's any way to, like, hack through the password...or bypass it somehow. Waddaya reckon?

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  04:44:05
quote:

Just picked up another 6100 (well, 6100s are ALMOST 68Ks...right?)... dual boot - 8.5.1 and MkLinux. The previous occupier unfortunately left his password active... I'd love to get in and have a poke around, but being a linux newbie I've got no idea if there's any way to, like, hack through the password...or bypass it somehow. Waddaya reckon?

Oooh. No idea on anything certain, however...

the netBSD installer I used on a 68k machine could read the partition which was formatted in AUX format - which linux and the other unixes use... and you pretty much had free reign over the OS as it wasn't restricted by having a linux kernel operating to stop you attacking files you shouldn't be, as it runs under macOS... so that may let you access the /etc/passwd* files, which (if there isn't loads of security turned on) are plain text files with encrypted passwords. I -think- if you delete the encrypted password section for each user and replace it with an asterisk, that's then a passwordless user... rebooting into the linux side of things may get you going then :D

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/theobald/

has a link to the MacOS installer about 1/5th of the way down the page. Download that, see if you can access the files on the mklinux partition - then see if you can copy it to the mac and edit it - then put it back. Other than that I have no ideas sorry!

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  05:19:52
Hey wow. That sounds like it just might do the trick. Wish me luck! And thanks!

Your tales of teetering stacks of old macs reminds me of some pics I saw floating 'round the net a couple of years back: some guy with a 6100 fetish had furnished his apartment with them... tables, couches, the works. Cool... but way geeky!

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  05:34:26
quote:

Your tales of teetering stacks of old macs reminds me of some pics I saw floating 'round the net a couple of years back: some guy with a 6100 fetish had furnished his apartment with them... tables, couches, the works. Cool... but way geeky!

yupyup - n for me it's pizzabox LC's... they're all over the place here. I suppose you might not have seen my stack'o'mac pic? http://www.danamania.com/temp/composite.jpg - thats my puter room. I went a bit mad on them when I first started collecting... but that's ok :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  05:51:42
Gee, that's a pretty impressive collection. Sure beats stamps or teapots! How many of them get regular use?

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  06:19:40
quote:

[quote]
http://www.danamania.com/temp/composite.jpg - thats my puter room. I went a bit mad on them when I first started collecting... but that's ok :)

dana

dam'betcha's'ok! WOW! i get the biggest *freakin'S.E.* Grin on my face every time i see that "ergonomic keyboard" and the microquadras stacked like cordwood!

welcome back, V.R.HackManiac!
hope you're doing well,
jt

*sheesh! wonders how long he's going to have wait for a maniacal "pixel makeover" of those images of 605's stacked on a freakin' pallet!*

Edited by - alcoa on 08 Mar 2002 06:20:34Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2002 :  09:24:13
That's an idea! Build furniture out of old Mac cases...

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  00:03:14
quote:
*sheesh! wonders how long he's going to have wait for a maniacal "pixel makeover" of those images of 605's stacked on a freakin' pallet!*

Yeah! Come on dana, you can do it...

But just imagine: Introducing the brand new Pentium-crushing Quadra 605 SuperComputer. Puts G4s to shame!

Not that i wouldn't mind a G4, of course...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  00:27:34
quote:

quote:

Yeah! Come on dana, you can do it...

But just imagine: Introducing the brand new Pentium-crushing Quadra 605 SuperComputer. Puts G4s to shame!

Not that i wouldn't mind a G4, of course...

they'll do! could use a an LC or a 605 as a breakout box for a floppy and zip tho!

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  03:06:52
quote:
could use a an LC or a 605 as a breakout box for a floppy and zip tho!

eww...a click-click drive...

I'm never buying a zip again. Mine kicked the bucket and i lost a couple hundred megs of data...i'd hack the floppy slot to support an EzDrive...screw zips!!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 28 Mar 2002 :  23:56:50
quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooh. No idea on anything certain, however...

the netBSD installer I used on a 68k machine could read the partition which was formatted in AUX format - which linux and the other unixes use... and you pretty much had free reign over the OS as it wasn't restricted by having a linux kernel operating to stop you attacking files you shouldn't be, as it runs under macOS... so that may let you access the /etc/passwd* files, which (if there isn't loads of security turned on) are plain text files with encrypted passwords. I -think- if you delete the encrypted password section for each user and replace it with an asterisk, that's then a passwordless user... rebooting into the linux side of things may get you going then :D

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/theobald/

has a link to the MacOS installer about 1/5th of the way down the page. Download that, see if you can access the files on the mklinux partition - then see if you can copy it to the mac and edit it - then put it back. Other than that I have no ideas sorry!

So Dana (and other Unix heads),

I spent quite a few hours twatting around trying to install netBSD on one of the Quadras...unsucessfully. Somehow some step or other always seemed to work just a little differently from the way suggested in the instructional website above.

After giving up on this, I re-installed A/UX (another whole series of dramas which I won't go into here!) in the hopes that it would recognise the Linux partition of the new drive... but unfortunately it only seems to mount the HFS partition .

Any other ideas?

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  00:53:42
Would any of this be for sale?

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops 68k
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.