Lounge
 Roll Call!
Author Topic  
alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2002 :  20:37:21
Where the h**l is everybody?
The barracks has been dead as a doornail!

All you lurkers and slackers!
SOUND OFF!
jt

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2002 :  21:15:36
I don't have any 68k news. Sorry. (Well, I don't have a 68k machine at the moment).

I also have a scsi dilemma. Do I buy a 50 gig Ultra2 SCSI drive (I don't have a card capable of taking advantage of it's max data transfer rate) or 10 9gig Wide Ultra SCSI drives? (And if I get them, what do I do with all of my Fast SCSI drives?)

And I've got the plutonian death cold. Tomorrow will be the first day in a week that I've actually made it out of the house.

68K's liberated: 0
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2002 :  21:36:31
quote:

I don't have any 68k news. Sorry. (Well, I don't have a 68k machine at the moment).

I also have a scsi dilemma. Do I buy a 50 gig Ultra2 SCSI drive (I don't have a card capable of taking advantage of it's max data transfer rate) or 10 9gig Wide Ultra SCSI drives? (And if I get them, what do I do with all of my Fast SCSI drives?)

And I've got the plutonian death cold. Tomorrow will be the first day in a week that I've actually made it out of the house.

cine' and i batted scsi configs around a bit in an earlier thread:
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=386.html

I also think there was more info in:
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=619.html

If you want to bat it around some more, post a question in the new peripherals forum. Meanwhile, I'll try to remember where I read a good article about scsi recently.

Feel better,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2002 :  21:45:37

School's got me rather busy these days, no time for 68k goodness. but i still lurk here.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2002 :  21:50:41
I have been around in stealth mode! Just really busy with my civilian life and hot water heaters that go boom!

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando)
Macs Liberated 0002
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2002 :  21:54:38
My ibook has been in the shop, but I just got it back!
Tito

Tito
Macs Liberated:
Powerbook 145
Powerbok 150
Powerbook 160
Apple \\c (now dead)Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2002 :  21:57:49
you've been having lots of Apple laptop issues, haven't you, titok

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  00:54:25
What? Its only been smooth sailing! ;) x5,000,000

Frick, those cables went for $20 US!

I think Ill work on the PB's over my 2 week spring break. Hopefully I can make some money by then so I have something to work with.

Well, the problem with my ibook was, get this......
the pci bus (the think with all the pins) that the airport card plugs into (under the keyboard).....it was MISSING on my new mobo. And now they left a note in the box saying it looked like I took the ibook apart and removed the part!!!!!!!!!!! But they replaced it for free, which is good. Seriously, I didnt touch the thing! Im not good enough at opening comps up yet!
Well, Im the sorta new member here. Wow, heres the one thing I have to say about computers. Like most ppl, I assumed a computer was a hugely high tech and indecipherable thing. That was, until I opened up these powerbook 100's! Theres like just a mobo, a connection to the monitor, and a connection to the drives. Im freaked out how easy this is. Until I bent the HD/floppy chassis. And until I gave back the allen wrench set I was using. And until I started cutting myself on the metal. Now Im sad. Now it takes like 5 minutes to swap in a HD, which is too much time for 'troubleshooting' when I only have about 30 min a day! :P

Tito

Tito
Macs Liberated:
Powerbook 145
Powerbok 150
Powerbook 160
Apple \\c (now dead)Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  01:51:13
I'm here!!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  07:27:07
Well my TV gave up the ghost the other day, so I had to go buy a new TV. Why would this eat up so much time? Because the TV I intended to buy was too big for me to carry by myself, and it would not fit in my car. So it became an operation, requiring a friend and a truck, just to get the thing, and then I had to spend an entire day getting it to work, mainly due to the fact that it was the first TV I have ever used that had a coax connecter on it instead of screws, and a remote control instead of two big knobs to set the channels, and a computer chip that disabled channels higher than 12 by default.

Maybe this was a message that I should have just tried to fix the old TV...

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  07:54:01
quote:

. . . or maybe that you're getting a little long in the tooth . . .
like some of . . .

jt: technosaur

p.s. i've got a home theatre setup (w/101 cd changer and cassette deck hooked up to ) itplaying thru the headphone jack wired to the input of my old stereo and out the headphone jack of that to two computer speakers. that's about as far as i've gotten since i picked it up on sale a year ago! 's ok tho, i'm pretty much tone deaf and this way i've got 104 cd's, four tape decks, a turntable, and two tuners on call! *and more freakin' remotes than any one person should ever have to deal with collecting dust on the stack of 5.1 speakers! sigh!* i guess i'm just waiting until i get the cd to hook it all up. *riiiiggghhhtttt!!!*

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  09:14:04
I'm here, not a whole lot going on right now, but I do have three items I got off eBay that will be going into use as soon as I receive them. A SuperMac SpigotPower AV, a 4x caddy-loaded CD-burner and a 33MHz Turbo-040. That and the new monitor for my Quadra 840av I'm picking up today from the thrift store. Once all are in place, my Quadra 840av will be sort-of complete. I say sort-of because you can always add more, but actually it will be quite ready and willing to do what I want it to. Also, I will be only a few items short of completing my Project IIci. I just need memory, 8 sticks of 16MB 30-pin, to be exact.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  10:45:31
I've been so busy with school that I wasn't even able to take out the time to reconnect my Quadra to my monitor (which I connected to my DuoDock to try to fix my 280c).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  11:31:32
quote:

Well my TV gave up the ghost the other day, so I had to go buy a new TV. Why would this eat up so much time? Because the TV I intended to buy was too big for me to carry by myself, and it would not fit in my car. So it became an operation, requiring a friend and a truck, just to get the thing, and then I had to spend an entire day getting it to work, mainly due to the fact that it was the first TV I have ever used that had a coax connecter on it instead of screws, and a remote control instead of two big knobs to set the channels, and a computer chip that disabled channels higher than 12 by default.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15

Some day you'll learn that there isn't ANYTHING worth watching on TV.

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5

Edited by - raWr on 08 Mar 2002 11:32:33Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  11:31:52
quote:

The barracks has been dead as a doornail!

All you lurkers and slackers!
SOUND OFF!
jt

WTF HI.

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  12:58:42
raWr sez:

"Some day you'll learn that there isn't ANYTHING worth watching on TV."

raWr, if we ever meet face to face, I'm giving you fair warning:

Do not step between me and the TV if there is an episode of OZ on.

68K's liberated: 0
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  14:10:27
Well, I just sold my Bravado 1000 vid capture card for $100, which is going to pay for the 3 ebay auctions I mentioned above and the new 15" monitor. I am happy.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  14:28:21
quote:

So true (except, of course, for Star Trek).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  15:25:36
quote:

Agreed. Well, most of the time, anyway.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  17:02:30
quote:

That is what Nintendo is for.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  17:52:41
quote:

quote:

That is what Nintendo is for.

and for my vhs collection and the dvd's for that home theater someday. the history channel and biography haven't have gone that far downhill in the year i've spent without cable or reception have they? let's not forget reruns of northern exposure and L&O on A&E!

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  18:04:18
quote:

and for my vhs collection and the dvd's for that home theater someday. the history channel and biography haven't have gone that far downhill in the year i've spent without cable or reception have they? let's not forget reruns of northern exposure and L&O on A&E!

Law & order! Xfiles! (gotta love them Redheaded Danas... :D, Discovery Channel and National Geographic Channel... The things that keep me going when I'm not at home 'n can't sleep :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  19:29:17
Why post if you have nothing to contribute that is worthwhile... but I'm here.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  20:46:22
I am currently in lurker mode until one specific thing happens:
The Release of EV Nova!

And when that happens, I won't be seen or heard from for at least a week. For some reason though, I have been spending a lot more time on the Ambrosia Webboards than MacAddict or here.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  21:13:36
quote:

Why post if you have nothing to contribute that is worthwhile... but I'm here.

building an online community of 68k Enthusiasts (or any other SIG) means more than efficient posting of answers in Q&A's. back in the day, it was the social aspects of user groups that made them flourish or die on the vine. the net nearly killed them off, but they are enjoying a resurgence in popularity because of the limited social aspects of the net based replacements. if this place is to flourish it will be the interactions of the characters that will induce participation, not the cold, efficient dissemination of information. loosen up and interact, and more people will join in on a regular basis, that should be reason enough for "pointless" postings.

*google's GOOD! maybe even better than the forums in terms of getting info, but it ain't FUN!*

IMHO, of course, opinions anyone?
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  21:31:51
quote:

building an online community of 68k Enthusiasts (or any other SIG) means more than efficient posting of answers in Q&A's. back in the day, it was the social aspects of user groups that made them flourish or die on the vine. the net nearly killed them off, but they are enjoying a resurgence in popularity because of the limited social aspects of the net based replacements. if this place is to flourish it will be the interactions of the characters that will induce participation, not the cold, efficient dissemination of information. loosen up and interact, and more people will join in on a regular basis, that should be reason enough for "pointless" postings.

*google's GOOD! maybe even better than the forums in terms of getting info, but it ain't FUN!*

IMHO, of course, opinions anyone?

Absodubitably. Since my first online-community-joining... somewhere after the mid-80's, it's all been like this. 70% based on the stuff we're here for (68k's!) and the rest nattering away among ourselves, finding what makes each other tick... and just joining in with what we're all doing. It's a neat thing to find most of a whole community think the same way, or have a load of other commonalities... then finding we're all so insanely different anyhows.

The funny thing too, is in the running of these communities over the decades, the same arguments, discussions and disagreements come up over and over again. You might see me suddenly stop posting when disagreements happen - it's kinda All The Same Old Crap after a while.

dana (not ranting, but waffling).

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2002 :  21:32:36
quote:

Oh I'm here btw :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  05:12:18
BTW, did anyone catch the story about EV Nova on the ABC news yesterday? They managed to get every occurence of "Apple" and "Macintosh" wrong...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2002 :  06:09:09
quote:

Absodubitably.

dana (not ranting, but waffling).

that word is one interesting stack of waffles, maniac!

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.