All Forums
 Balloon Help
 More about my powerbooks
Author Topic  
titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  12:52:08
Well, Ive started this topic here, cuz the trading post seems inappropriate. Anyway, I got an allen wrench set, and managed to get the 150 open. I think I stripped 2 screws on the 145 tho, might just have to break it open! ;) Anyway, Ive still got a few questions.

RE: THe 145
The 145 refuses to startup- IMMEDIATELY after I press the powerbutton, the hard drive spins up, but the screen doesnt come on. I know on my functioning 160, the screen lights, and then, 5 seconds later, the HD spins up after pressing power. Firewire suggested this was the PRAM battery.<b> However, when I opened up the 150 (didnt get the 145 open yet) I didnt see any sort of battery on the top side of the mobo. Is the battery on the bottom???????? </b>

RE: The 150

All the while, whenever I plug the computer in, the screen flashes and/or the computer chimes and comes on. THEN, I HEAR A SINGLE BEEP AS SOON AS A POINTER APPEARS. Ok, just so you can get the timing of this, I CAN reset the PRAM, but the millisecond after that the pointer freezes (if i dont zap the pram). ONE BEEP, OK? What does that mean? However, some times I am able to boot off a floppy - so, maybe the prob is with the HD? doesnt seem right....... there should be a flashing ? if theres no hd right?

Ok, I opened up the 150, which I had thought didnt have a hard drive. However, it did, and it is a quantum drive with a sticker that says 40, with an apple symbol to the right (assuming this means 40 mb)
Ok, so, heres whats up with the 150-------I got it to boot off a floppy once, and norton said it didnt have a hard drive.

OK, so, Ive got this old windows laptop, with a 527mb drive. SO, I cracked it open (the comp, not the drive ;) and took a look at it........I tried swapping it in for the apple drive. ok, ill try to explain how it plugs-
All the pins that are supposed to plug into the ribbon are there
however, on the apple drive, there are 2 extra pins that are a little seperated from the others, and on the windows drive, there are 4 of these seperated pins. you probably know what im talking about. Does this mean that I cant use the windows drive?
When I started the computer- there was no difference. the HD never got accessed, just like before. I havent tried booting from a floppy, I kinda gave up quick (it takes a few tries, sometimes the mouse freezes, but once in a blue moon, it boots). I guess that would be my next step.

ANY THOUGHTS???
THANKS!!!
Tito

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  12:58:57
quote:

When I started the computer- there was no difference. the HD never got accessed, just like before. I havent tried booting from a floppy, I kinda gave up quick (it takes a few tries, sometimes the mouse freezes, but once in a blue moon, it boots). I guess that would be my next step.

check the mfr's sites for info on the drives, i'll bet the two extra pins are for an led access indicator, look on the bottom and front of the other drive and you might find them there. but definitely check the specs.

jt

Go to Top of Page

titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  13:03:55
HAH! WINDOWS! is filtered...errr.... thats..... win dows
tito

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  13:08:44
quote:

HAH! WINDOWS! is filtered...errr.... thats..... win dows
tito

mfr's nome of the drive and laptop woul be a bigger help than the OS, tito. is it an ibm with a scsi hdd?

jt

Go to Top of Page

titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  13:10:47
woop-
yea, its a toshiba quantum drive.
dunno if its scsi or ide, i was hoping that, because the pins fit, it was scsi
tito

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  13:18:18
quote:

woop-
yea, its a toshiba quantum drive.
dunno if its scsi or ide, i was hoping that, because the pins fit, it was scsi

sounds like a good bet, check their site, maybe you can find info for the config your pb needs, if there is a cd in the toshiba, maybe the drive's not set to id 0 or the termination is wrong, who knows? nail it all down before you plug-n-power up.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 04 Mar 2002 13:36:45Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  15:31:01
I'm pretty sure that Apple was the only manufacturer to [i]ever[/i[ use 2.5" SCSI hard drives in their laptops, thus the total rarity of them. It's still a possibility, though.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  16:30:56
quote:

I'm pretty sure that Apple was the only manufacturer to [i]ever[/i[ use 2.5" SCSI hard drives in their laptops, thus the total rarity of them. It's still a possibility, though.

i'm pretty sure the thinkpads used them, ibm sure made a pile of the things. but i've never done wintel laptops.

jt

Go to Top of Page

titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  16:54:22
woa, I just like, read, in MAF that the 150 CAN use an IDE drive!!! Coolio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tito

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  17:04:10
Oh yeah! Forgot about that.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  19:05:50
quote:

Firewire suggested this was the PRAM battery. However, when I opened up the 150 (didnt get the 145 open yet) I didnt see any sort of battery on the top side of the mobo. Is the battery on the bottom????????

*fixes Forum Code - by the way, with this we use " [ " and " ] " instead of "<" and ">"*

Perhaps this page can help you with the PRAM battery (if that is the problem). I don't know much about 'Books though so....

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  12:06:18
Woooo
Ok, new report
I busted open both comps last night. The pb 145 had a memory chip on it (silver chip, black cbip <---thats what the mem looked like, only 4 sets (2 on top, 2 on bottom)
anyway, i ganked the memory, and tried to startup (the 145 has never started up b4. Ok, so, this time it started up BUT the contrast control doesnt work!!!! the brightness control works! so I swapped in the 150 screen part....smae thing, the contrast doesnt work, but brightness does.(i then put the 150 monitor back on the 150, just to make sure that contrast control actually worked, which it did) ok, so, in conclusion, the 45 chimes an all, disks spin, access floppy if i so desire, but the contrast doesnt work.

Ok, the 150 is still in the same condition as before. (but now, after reading in MAF that the 150 can handle an ide drive, ive decided to stic with the 500 mb toshiba, although i think something might be wrong with the cable, because norton cant see it, or its old drive)
Im in the process of opening my 160, ill do it after i get home from school, so ill write yall tommorrow
tito

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  06:46:20
quote:
I'm pretty sure that Apple was the only manufacturer to ever use 2.5" SCSI hard drives in their laptops, thus the total rarity of them. It's still a possibility, though.

Tadpole SPARCBook Sun compatible notebooks used 2.5" SCSI drives, too.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2002 :  09:30:06
quote:

ive decided to stic with the 500 mb toshiba, although i think something might be wrong with the cable, because norton cant see it, or its old drive)

if'n it ain't already a mac volume i'm not sure norton will have a clue, it could be HDT or other low level formatting utility time! i don't think it's the cable unless the ide's and scsi's use a different mobo connector and cable which makes a world of sense to me, dunno if apple engineering'd think so tho. anybody got a clue, my supply just dried up!

jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.