And how big is the difference?

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  12:25:22
I'm not sure I understand the question...?

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  13:09:04
How does the difference in rpm speed affect the access speed and other dolt parts of the HD?

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  13:17:26
Oh, okay. Sorry!

The spindle speed of the drive affects one thing and one thing only: Access time. It does not affect transfer rates, well, at least not directly.

5400 RPM is fairly decent enough for normal computing. You wouldn't want anything slower, though, such as older Apple OEM's.

7200 is the minimum if you're doing any kind of audio or video capture, editing, rendering, etc.

10,000 and 15,000 rpm drives are best for high-end audio/video or for important servers.

Keep in mind, the faster the spindle speed, the more heat the drive will create and thus the more cooling it will need.

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 05 Mar 2002 08:59:32Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  18:25:55
quote:

7500 is the minimum if you're doing any kind of audio or video capture, editing, rendering, etc.

Silly man! You're getting R.P.M. confused with a Power Mac!

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  09:00:16
Wow, can't believe I didnt catch that! Thanks Fire! I fixed it. I must have had my 7500 on my brain...

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  11:06:22
quote:

Wow, can't believe I didnt catch that! Thanks Fire! I fixed it. I must have had my 7500 on my brain...

i'm still really exhausted so maybe i'm a little slow, but i can understand why covering more linear feet of track/second might increase thruput and transfer speed. it doesn't really seem like it would have any direct bearing on the actuation efficiency of the read/write heads which is quantified in the seek time figures of a drive mechanism as i remember them. (i could be way off, but i'm too pooped to look it up with much hope of clarification)

jt

back again, still not sure but:
http://207.158.208.219/t_hdperf.htm

Edited by - alcoa on 05 Mar 2002 11:11:51Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  11:50:30
That's what I would think. But in all the spec sheets I've pourced over, spindle speed only seem to directly affect the seek time. The transfer speed is directly affected by the protcol and/or the bandwidth.

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  12:31:37
quote:

That's what I would think. But in all the spec sheets I've pourced over, spindle speed only seem to directly affect the seek time. The transfer speed is directly affected by the protcol and/or the bandwidth.

sounds to me like the sheets are leading you to a conclusion based on one of the secondary by-products of the rotational speed in apples and oranges comparisons. rotational speeds of the mechanisms are most likely matched to the bandwidth inherent to the interface spec. i think you've probably spotted the only identifiable apples to apples variable on the sheets you've studied, but that the primary variables don't appear in your sample because to find them would indicate poor design. i'll think about it when my head is clearer.

i tried to mail marchie a couple of files, but don't think they went thru. what's the file size limit on your mailbox?

jt

Edited by - alcoa on 05 Mar 2002 12:33:14Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  12:48:18
quote:
sounds to me like the sheets are leading you to a conclusion based on one of the secondary by-products of the rotational speed in apples and oranges comparisons. rotational speeds of the mechanisms are most likely matched to the bandwidth inherent to the interface spec. i think you've probably spotted the only identifiable apples to apples variable on the sheets you've studied, but that the primary variables don't appear in your sample because to find them would indicate poor design. i'll think about it when my head is clearer.

Perhaps you are right, comrade. Allright, here's a good recommendation: Faster is better! All but one of the 9 drives in my two main machines are 7,200rpm, the only other is the 5,400 rpm 23GB drive that I use for backup/mass storage.

quote:
i tried to mail marchie a couple of files, but don't think they went thru. what's the file size limit on your mailbox?

It's 5MB, but I have some html/image files there that are taking up space on the server. If you have something large (but smaller than 5MB, obviously) to send, let me know, and I can take eveything off the RR server so it's free!

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 05 Mar 2002 12:48:59Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  13:19:55
quote:

Perhaps you are right, comrade. Allright, here's a good recommendation: Faster is better! All but one of the 9 drives in my two main machines are 7,200rpm, the only other is the 5,400 rpm 23GB drive that I use for backup/mass storage.

I don't mean to be a pain in the @$$, but i like to keep as much of this technical crap straight in my head as possible, heaven knows how twisted the rest of the crud stuffed in there is!

i've got a 1.1MB pdf, i think the 2 MB might have made it to marchie, if you think you've got 1.x free i'll send it now and you can just offload enough for the other file later.

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.