Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  22:38:11
The Goals of the 68k MLA Website are to:

• Be informative

• Prove the worth and usefulness of 68k Macs as still beingf viable platforms

• Be a gateway for those surfing on 68k Macs

• Look good and be usable on both modern and vintage equipment, regardless of system architechture, OS, or browser

To acheive these goals, serveral design and coding techniques must be utilized:

• all code must be HTML 3.2 complant

• code on any text-only pages must be HTML 2.0 compliant

• ALL tags that can be paired with a closeing tag will be. ie [code] <p> foo bar baz </p>

• HTML will be treated as case sensitive

• all images will be as small in file size as possible, and use the standard WWW 215 colour pallete

• all Images will be paired with descriptive ALT tags

• NO FRAMES

• all pages will be tested in multiple browsers and on a full sampling of colour depths

• No distinctions shall be made between accepted Elnglish spellings of words, and variances of grammar. Color, colour, realise, and realize are all permissable. Talk like Yoda you will not, but one may otherwise write as one deems appropriate

• The web page editors reserve the right to ask for changes, correct factual errors, spelling, grammar, and confounding syntax.

With that, we again as for CONTENT. Anything you still can't cope with is therefor your own problem.

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  23:52:44
quote:

• all code must be HTML 3.2 complant

• code on any text-only pages must be HTML 2.0 compliant

• Being the ignorant lil thing I am... Is there an easy way to check html compliance? Actually I'm not that ignorant, as I'm sure I've seen a place online - but I don't know if it gives versions of compliance needed...

ta :)

dana (I did a page or two but I'm sure it's not compliant :D

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
    491 Posts
    Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  10:15:54

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
    NIGHT STALKER

USA
    2899 Posts
    Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  10:26:33
    quote:

one would be sufficient, raWr. i hadn't gotten involved in this fracas as yet, but i think marchie showed much restraint when he slapped you back down for being out of line, offered encouragement by giving you some good advice and working very hard to make sure the lesson was constructive criticism, and backed it up with a great link to reinforce the lesson.

i, for one, applaud his efforts and feel that you should probably make an apology and thank him for that lesson. if you didn't show promise, i don't think that he would have bothered. don't dwell on it or get sarcastic, stand tall and participate!

imho, of course,
    jt

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
    856 Posts
    Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  13:12:35
    quote:

all images will be as small in file size as possible, and use the standard WWW 215 colour pallete

Web safe colors: used when you want your (gif, mainly) images to retain appearance across platforms. When is our page going to be viewed on a PC, and are those few instances worth the huge loss in image quality? We can't make everything a gif! If we want any type of image past a banner or button, it will look like crap. Keeping file size down is fine, but we want people to be able to discern one part of a mobo from another. We need colorful jpegs. With photoshop and imageready, we can easily balance quality vs file size.

{ candyPunk }
    { Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
    { 68k Macs liberated: 3}
    { My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Marchie
    Chaplain

USA
    911 Posts
    Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  13:45:07
    how often will our sites be viewd by PCs?

~Coxy is often on a PC.

And more importantly, as promoters of Mac Liberation, our call goes out to ALL people. Why can't someone who has only used WIndows not Liberate a Quadra 630, and use it, especially if it has a DOS card?

Secondly, remeber that we want images to be useable across multiple browsers, and if you are surfing in Cyberdog, you hope and pray the page author used the Web Safe colours.

Third, GIFs are bad and I oppose their use. The method to produce GIF images is a proprietary and coptrighted algorithm, and the company in the last few years has taken to sueing anyone that uses GIFs on webpages for the liscense fee of $5000.

more info can be found at http://www.tuxedo.org/%7Eesr/html%2Dhell.html which I have linked to before.

Lastly: I'm working on finding pages that check for HTML validity, according to version. If nothing else is found, I'll have to check by hand (or rather, write a script to check).

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
    NIGHT STALKER

USA
    2899 Posts
    Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  13:56:25
    quote:

Web safe colors: used when you want your (gif, mainly) images to retain appearance across platforms. When is our page going to be viewed on a PC, and are those few instances worth the huge loss in image quality? We can't make everything a gif! If we want any type of image past a banner or button, it will look like crap.

several of the troops are forced to use pc's to browse at home and many, including fw and ~coxy from school and cine' (assumption on my part) from work, choose to log on as often as possible from mordorsoft impaired platforms. if i were limited to aol dialup i'd be on a pc right now by choice, sometimes it just doesn't pay to struggle to run semi-compatible software.

i read complaints just today over on MAF about unlabeled links in posts taking them to inappropriately sized graphics/sites/pages for dialup connections taking their systems down. i get irritated when my OS gets trashed by something i choose to click on, but when a site assumes i want to load even medium sized graphics that don't bomb, i hate it. in terms of images, ALL graphics that load automatically here should be as microscopic/cross platform compatible as possible, thumbnail/linking them to beautiful jpeg's (small/medium and LARGE freakin'gorgeous choices available, server space permitting) is the only way to go IMHO.

jt

back again: i can't type fast enough! finished last again! hi, marchie.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 03 Mar 2002 14:03:26Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
    491 Posts
    Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  10:19:53
    I'm on a PC.

/me runs away

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

Marchie
    Chaplain

USA
    911 Posts
    Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  15:33:11
    In addition to what I said...

I usually surf the forums on my G4, running OS X, useing Internet Explorer (only untill the Mozilla builds work right)

No, my system doesn;t care if WebSafe colours are used.

But my Quadra 630, and SE/30... They WILL Care.

Our desire for our page to be a portal for 68k Mac websurfers demands web safe colours.

All the pages I create will be in Web Safe greyscale.

<Slight Rant>
    I remember surfing the internet before the WWW existed (1994). I tunneled through useing telnet, ft, and gopher. I chatted on my local User Groups BBS.

I have seen (with the eyes of an adolecent, into young adulthood) the Internet change. In many ways, I am happy, but there are many things that make me want to scream.

First, is the increased commercialization of the web. Yes, there is a place on the web for the commercial, but it increasingly chokes out and makes harder to find, the USEFUL stuff: The educational, the scientific, the stuff the Internet was built upon.

Second, is how people have forgotten that HTML is not meant to DESIGN a page. HTML was never intended to provide a method to ensure that your page looked Just So on someones computer. It was created and intended to be a tool thats lets you define STRUCTURE.

The fact is, no matter how much is added to the HTML language, your page will always look different on different peoples computers, based upon such things as Browser, monitor resolution, colour depth, even Operating System (remember... 12 point Text on a Mac is 12 pixels tall. On WIndows it's 16).

The web should be usable by people of all languages. This means Image Maps are a No-No.

the Blind use the web as well. They must be remembered.

The Spirit of the Internet tells us that ALL people must have free and unfettered access. When the author of a page forgets this, his page is rendered worthless.

HTML allows Function before Form, by letting the page author design Structure. Those who read a site do so for the content, not a fancy presentation.

</Slight Rant>

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
    NIGHT STALKER

USA
    2899 Posts
    Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  16:29:01
    </Slight Rant>
    that's not even close to being a rant! i love learning this stuff, i don't know how many times i've started to and never actually gotten or stayed online. i did quite a bit on a bbs that was actually quite similar to this place, but was ALWAYS turned off by the glitz without content impressions i got every time i tried to find information. even tech oriented sites like compaq's didn't list the interface of the superdisk they were developing at that time and the print ads in pc magazine had more real content.

thanks for the lessons, marchie.
    jt: newbie

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
    LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
    5830 Posts
    Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  18:01:36
    quote:

I'm on a PC.

/me runs away

Fleet Covert Ops

Macs liberated: 4-5

Why don't you get your 4400 or 650 on the net? Its a helluva lot better...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
    68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
    General, 4 star

USA
    1559 Posts
    Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  18:36:22
    quote:

Marchie's rant

Amen!

--------------------
    Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
    -the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
    -the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
    -Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.