All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 New Forum Area Idea
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  03:11:04
I know I am always bring up the new ideas for different areas, but this one sounds perfect. I think it would be nice if we have a (can't spell) perpherial area of the 68kMLA forums like for Quicktake camera's, printers, scanners, serial devices and other macintosh equipment. Its just a idea, I'd love to if I had some moo la to get me nice Quicktake 200, ahh LCD screen. But yea that would rock if we had an area just for that stuff. I really don't know a section that I can post about printers and other stuff except the Lounge and thats not even relaly a good place, just a thought, what does everyone else think?

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  04:53:23
k

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  04:59:55
quote:

I really don't know a section that I can post about printers and other stuff except the Lounge and thats not even relaly a good place, just a thought, what does everyone else think?

good point, great idea.

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  06:35:37
quote:

quote:

I really don't know a section that I can post about printers and other stuff except the Lounge and thats not even relaly a good place, just a thought, what does everyone else think?

good point, great idea.

jt

Exactly. After all, we support 68k Macs and Newtons, so what's so bad about making a forum for the discussion of other cool bits of old Apple hardware? (Note to self: Try and find out where you can get a pair of AppleDesign Powered Speakers cheap.)

P.S.: Trash80, after a couple of months, i still crack up every time i see your name!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  09:01:41
Well, it's kind of covered already under Balloon Help, if you don't need help all you're doing is bragging (lounge.)

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  10:28:31
quote:

Well, it's kind of covered already under Balloon Help, if you don't need help all you're doing is bragging (lounge.)

i'm going to have to disagree wholeheartedly with you on this one ~coxy. had i not been braggin' on my kid's 630 based entertainment center (right on topic, incidentally), maclover5 might not be lookin' for those appledesign speakers right now. i'm sure some of the younger troops have no idea what they are and might be or have been googling to find out.

if we had a dedicated peripherals/accessory forum bragging about interesting setups/questions about one peripheral will promote on-topic suggestions for better, more plentiful, less expensive or even downright inferior ratings for compiling scrounge lists and the liberation of potential landfill.

IMHO that kind of information sharing and sometimes almost realtime input from experts, or even guesses from casual users which might lprovide additional lines of inquiry will become the most important content for our site. it would be very nice to have something written up and posted on our site, but the forums are what have been and will continue to drive growth. do a search of "killy clip", one of only four hits that come up on google is from one of my posts here. when somebody follows that and finds the interaction of real people, information they wanted/needed and links provided for further research, then bookmarks, return visits, recommendations on other forums and snowballing of involvement results. check mathgeek's link recommendation for confirmation. as i've said before, there is a very interesting growth curve here, and static content is responsible for almost none of it.

i've got more ideas/opinions on the subject, with historic parallels (imagine that!) and conceptual models to back them up, but i want to hear what the rest of you think. *and my posts are always too long*

opinions?
jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 02 Mar 2002 10:36:06Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  11:29:33
quote:

P.S.: Trash80, after a couple of months, i still crack up every time i see your name!

thanks, glad you like it, only problem is it may *hopefully* go out of date at some point.

after a couple of months i'm still so jealous of macscuzzy for mentioning that he has one, back when he told me he got kick out of my handle, that i'm not sure i have posted anything directly to him while in coherent mode yet. *and i'm not ready to start today!*

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  23:01:16
I'm all for this one, and here's why:

Balloon Help isn't the most obvious place for such questions. Baloon help is more like

"I have a bootable MAc OS CD, but if I hold down C on startup, it hangs. What's going on?" _OR_

"What is the big red button in the middle of my various mother boards?" _OR_

"How can I install Linux on my Classic II?"

This would be a forum topic for things like

"My Laserwriter IIntx makes odd grateing noises when I start it and it trys to print the test page. The sound is coming from the back, near the Face Up tray. Any ideas what is wrong?" _OR_

"My QuickTake 100 Plus won't talk to any Mac I hook it up to. if the serial port is bad, is there any way for me to get the pictures off it? My Girlfriend will kill me if I don;t print her pictures."

_OR_ "My Personal LaswerWriter NT andLaserWriter Select 300 look to have the same tonor tank. Are they interchangeable? What about the HP LaserJet IIIp and Apple LaserWriter IIntx?"

Vintage Macs also used Vintage peripherals. We should have a support section for them too.

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

Edited by - marchie on 02 Mar 2002 23:03:19Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.