All Forums
 The Website Forum
 webpage completed
Author Topic  
raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  12:43:24
All I want is some opinions on the layout....

http://www.geocities.com/littlegreencube/index.html

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  14:57:57
Looks pretty nice, although if i set my iMac's screen to 640x480 (which most 68ks use) and open it the top navbar is unusable. After all, whats the point of having a site for a 68k Liberation Army if it can't even be viewed on a 68k?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  17:06:16
Interesting...

But, your design directly violates basic Good Design Principles for WWW pages, and is incompatible with no/low colour browsing, or browsing at 640x480 or less.

Frames are a big no-no, and yours are made incorrectly. here are some corrections:

1) you haven't closed your

<title>
tag, nor your
<frameset>
tag. not doing so can cause problems, especially on older browsers that would be being used on 68k Macs.

2) your framset is backwards, if you want the welcome at the BOTTOM of the page, and the menu and such above, you should use the following:

<frameset rows="*,15%">
<frame name="menu" src="menu.html" frameborder="no" bgcolor="#006699">
<frame name="welcome" src="welcome.html" frameborder="no" bgcolor="#006699">
</frameset>

Contrariwise, if you want the Welcome at the TOP, and menu below:

<frameset rows="15%,*">
<frame name="menu" src="welcome.html" frameborder="no" bgcolor="#006699">
<frame name="welcome" src="menu.html" frameborder="no" bgcolor="#006699">
</frameset>

Secondly, why are you "recreating" the main site, and posting it somewhere else? To start, I find it offensive and rude. You are doing nothing to help promote the 68kMLA by doing so, and are in fact causeing potential confusion and dilution of our name. Secondly, you have not asked for permission to use the code that has been created for our website, mostly by FireWireisFast, and others. You are thus in violation of any copyright law applicable to said pages.

I, as one of the designated Web Page designers for the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army, do request and demand that you REMOVE your recreated web site, and CEASE AND DESIST the use of the code created by others, or any derivative work you may have created by useing said code.

If you wish to contribute to the 68kMLA website that is hosted at mac.com, please create and submit content. If you have ideas for said site, please provide them. In short: Play Nice.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  17:29:54
I think you covered everything I was going to say, Marchie m'boy...

I swear we must be brothers or something...

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  18:02:42
I just wanted to say that the site does not render correctly for me at 800x600 on Netscape 4.51. The content frame is about a millemeter high and the title frame fills up the whole page.

I half wish that the W3C would remove frames from the HTML standard or something. They never, ever seem to work right on more than a third of the browsers.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  18:28:15
http://www.tuxedo.org/%7Eesr/html%2Dhell.html

Anyone wanting to play an active role in the page should probably read the above page.

They are the basic rules I follow. FireWire seems to have the same idea, although I'm not sure if he's read the document. He should too. ;-)

As for the 68kMLA Pirate page that started this thread, take a look at it's code, and tell me how many of the rules from the HTML Hell page it violates.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  19:00:54
Ah, the dreaded marquee tag. Forutnately I do not have to worry about that one slowing down my browser as the version I am using does not reconize marquee tags at all. What is funny about that article is that I wrote something very similar to it after I got a new 3D card and was trying to locate some new maps for UT. I was so pissed off about the crappyness of most of the UT sites that I wrote a long rant in another forum about how much the UT sites sucked and why they sucked. Now I am going to have to find that rant so I can post a copy.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  22:49:03
quote:

http://www.tuxedo.org/%7Eesr/html%2Dhell.html

Anyone wanting to play an active role in the page should probably read the above page.

anybody who surfs the web at all should read that page, GREAT link marchie! demoronizer! i love it! LOL, very entertaining an informative.

thanks,
jt

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  03:22:56
That is a nice link Marchie, lol. I just wanted to ask, would anybody mind if I made a spinoff also of the 68kMLA website? I wanted to hook my Quadra 610 up put the resolution to 640x480 with 68k browser in mind, and just see what I can do, would that be ok? Thanks

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  04:50:14
MIA/KIA

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  04:51:43
srys for any inconvinience...all I wanted was to do some web design...oh well

ph33r my Centris 650.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  05:43:03
quote:

Interesting...

But, your design directly violates basic Good Design Principles for WWW pages, and is incompatible with no/low colour browsing, or browsing at 640x480 or less.

Frames are a big no-no, and yours are made incorrectly. here are some corrections:

1) you haven't closed your

<title>
tag, nor your
<frameset>
tag. not doing so can cause problems, especially on older browsers that would be being used on 68k Macs.

2) your framset is backwards, if you want the welcome at the BOTTOM of the page, and the menu and such above, you should use the following:

<frameset rows="*,15%">
<frame name="menu" src="menu.html" frameborder="no" bgcolor="#006699">
<frame name="welcome" src="welcome.html" frameborder="no" bgcolor="#006699">
</frameset>

Contrariwise, if you want the Welcome at the TOP, and menu below:

<frameset rows="15%,*">
<frame name="menu" src="welcome.html" frameborder="no" bgcolor="#006699">
<frame name="welcome" src="menu.html" frameborder="no" bgcolor="#006699">
</frameset>

Secondly, why are you "recreating" the main site, and posting it somewhere else? To start, I find it offensive and rude. You are doing nothing to help promote the 68kMLA by doing so, and are in fact causeing potential confusion and dilution of our name. Secondly, you have not asked for permission to use the code that has been created for our website, mostly by FireWireisFast, and others. You are thus in violation of any copyright law applicable to said pages.

I, as one of the designated Web Page designers for the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army, do request and demand that you REMOVE your recreated web site, and CEASE AND DESIST the use of the code created by others, or any derivative work you may have created by useing said code.

If you wish to contribute to the 68kMLA website that is hosted at mac.com, please create and submit content. If you have ideas for said site, please provide them. In short: Play Nice.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

WOW...great work Marchie!

Besides, i really do prefer the official version heaps, anyways.

BY THE WAY...that was a great link Marchie. There is only one guest book that i don't regret signing, and that was the guest book of a particular female singer... Either way, i've now bookmarked that link, and will refer to it whenever i do any web design. Oh, and raWr, don't be too put off by all this. Although we don't want you to make a spinoff of the site, we do encourage you to help us out with the official site. Our hard working HTML team (which includes ~Coxy, FireWire and Marchie) needs our help!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

[i]Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

Edited by - maclover5 on 02 Mar 2002 05:56:37Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  06:32:00
quote:

Oh, and raWr, don't be too put off by all this. Although we don't want you to make a spinoff of the site, we do encourage you to help us out with the official site. Our hard working HTML team (which includes ~Coxy, FireWire and Marchie) needs our help!

;|

Fleet Covert Ops

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  08:48:30
raWr, if you are that eager/deperate for some work, then take a look over in the OTHER thread you started "mind if I make a redesgin/spin-off on the site..." where it is said that

quote:
I don't know if we really want a "redesigned" mirror of our site...a niche site, perhaps might be okay, though...can you give us some details?
by cinemafia

Also was said

quote:
And there's already been lots of ideas. Write up some liberator's notes, or an article on vintage gaming, or stuff like that.
by ~Coxy

So in the end, you have been given work. Go back to said thread, and generally look around the Forums, and produce something.

Later today, check back here and you'll seea new thread about how to design pages to work on 68k Macs, as well as the 68kMLA Web Page Designers Handbook.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  13:48:18
I see no need for this thread to continue.

Head to the MLA Web PAge Handbook thread for further information regarding the site and appropriate code, uses, goals, etc.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.