All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Sharing a DSL connection over a network
Author Topic  
GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  11:51:00
(This is my first post on the forums from a 68k machine! I'm using iCab 2.7.1 on Kitty Basket, a Performa 580! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!)

I have a DSL connection at home that uses PPPoE authentication. I want to be able to share it across my entire network, using a 68k Mac as the host. Unfortunately, Vicomsoft Internet Gateway won't allow you to share a PPPoE connection. (At least, not version 5, which is the one I have.)

Is there anything out there that I can use to share a PPPoE connection from a 68k Mac? I know that I could probably do the deed using an A/UX or NetBSD setup, but I'd rather not... besides, the only decent machine that I have that has an FPU (my IIci) doesn't have an Ethernet card.

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  12:51:11
quote:

(This is my first post on the forums from a 68k machine! I'm using iCab 2.7.1 on Kitty Basket, a Performa 580! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!)

I have a DSL connection at home that uses PPPoE authentication. I want to be able to share it across my entire network, using a 68k Mac as the host. Unfortunately, Vicomsoft Internet Gateway won't allow you to share a PPPoE connection. (At least, not version 5, which is the one I have.)

Is there anything out there that I can use to share a PPPoE connection from a 68k Mac? I know that I could probably do the deed using an A/UX or NetBSD setup, but I'd rather not... besides, the only decent machine that I have that has an FPU (my IIci) doesn't have an Ethernet card.

hook the modem the uplink port on the cheapest hub you can find and you can access it from any machine connected to it. (albeit one at a time) a nubus 10bt card shouldn't be expensive. sometimes hardware solutions are a better way to go.

jt

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  14:20:04
You should be able to pick up a hardware solution from the local electronics store, some people call them "residental gateways" others call them "DSL routers". Either way it will allow you to share a DSL connection over an Ethernet network using NAT routing. If you are just trying to share the connection it will be a lot more hassle free than using a Mac as the router (though admittedly a lot less geeky).

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  16:09:59
quote:

You should be able to pick up a hardware solution from the local electronics store, some people call them "residental gateways" others call them "DSL routers".

i've often thought about getting one. how secure are the firewalls in the inexpensive ones, do they all do dynamic addressing for your machine now and can your isp tell you're using one?

jt

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  07:27:24
I don't actually have one, but I know a few people who do. All the ones I have seen use DHCP to handle the IP addresses. The main problem with the ones that have built in firewalls is that the more generic ones won't let you manage the firewall (at least the people I know who have them can't figure out how to do it) and the firewall will block you from serving data and hosting some multiplayer internet games.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Bogometer
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  20:44:22
AnubisTTP writes:
quote:

I don't actually have one, but I know a few people who do. All the ones I have seen use DHCP to handle the IP addresses.

Although assigning IPs via DHCP is the common method used by the Cable/DSL ("home broadband connection sharing") routers, there's normally a way to assign a block of IPs for static assignment (typically you simple configure the router to start doling out IPs at xxx.xxx.xxx.33 and use xxx.xxx.xxx.1-32 for static assignment). This may be necessary, as if you're using MacTCP ("classic" networking, as compared to Open Transport) as your TCP/IP stack, it doesn't support DHCP (failure to assign a static IP is also typically why people can't communicate through the router's "firewall").

Although the original broadband connection sharing routers didn't support PPPoE, at this time they overwhelmingly do. The one problem area is with AOL's recent AOL Plus DSL service, which uses a modified proprietary version of PPPoE, which has so far stymied the router manufacturers. My feeling on the subject is that anyone who uses AOL gets what they deserve......Go to Top of Page

Bogometer
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  20:57:01
GORDOOM writes:
quote:

If you're talking about converting your 68K Mac into a router to share out your connection, Peter Sichel/Sustainable Softworks IPNetrouter http://www.sustworks.com/site/prod_ipr_overview.html will allow you to this, and supports PPPoE connections. It requires a 68030 machine or greater, and theoretically MacOS 7.5.3 or above because of the requirement for Open Transport (I say theoretically, because I do know somebody who was running IPNetrouter on a SE30, using System 7.1.x, which had had Open Transport force-fed to it). For optimum performance you should have a machine capable of having two ethernet NICs installed, this can be done with a Mac with logic board-based ethernet support plus a NuBus NIC, or two NuBus NICs.

Sustainable Softworks has a full-feature time limited demo of the product available on their website, along with complete documentation and an excellent tutorial.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.