All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 This was fun!
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  06:26:27
In a fit of boredom I decided to pull the dead Quadra 800 apart... I figured I'll need the practice for when my new power supply arrives.

Anyhows, what a neat piece of work this thing is. It all just snaps apart and together like an overgrown Lego toy. After the thumbscrews on the back, the only fastening screw I found was the one that goes through the centre of the mobo. Everything else is held by plastic clips, levers and braces. I had the whole thing layed out on my table in about 3 minutes, and back together in another 3 (still doesn't work tho' )

Strange, for what is according to Low End Mac " one of Apple's worst case designs."

By the way, does anyone here know anything about the Radius Precisioncolour XK graphics board?

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently deceased)
1 Powermac 6100

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  06:35:24
quote:

Anyhows, what a neat piece of work this thing is. It all just snaps apart and together like an overgrown Lego toy. After the thumbscrews on the back, the only fastening screw I found was the one that goes through the centre of the mobo. Everything else is held by plastic clips, levers and braces.
Strange, for what is according to Low End Mac " one of Apple's worst case designs."

*excited squeal*... yes! I've been saying the same for ages!! My 8100 is the same, and apart from the pain in the bum metal case, and the silly silly placement of simms for replacing simply... it's a stunning piece of design. Not only clipping together, but clipping together so solidly. I was impressed too!

quote:

By the way, does anyone here know anything about the Radius Precisioncolour XK graphics board?

Only what I'd read on Lowendmac.com... up to 1152x870 in 24 bit. oooah!
http://www.lowendmac.com/video/radiuspro24xk.html

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  06:39:13
I think the point is that you must have to take out everything just to add RAM...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  06:50:41
Aussies having trouble sleeping tonight hey?

quote:
Only what I'd read on Lowendmac.com... up to 1152x870 in 24 bit. oooah!

oooah indeed! Looks like it might be overkill for my little 17'', but at least It'll give me 2 monitors...

quote:
I think the point is that you must have to take out everything just to add RAM...

This is true, however for an operation a typical owner would do only once, I don't think its such a big deal. Even an iMac's not so great from this perspective.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  06:59:12
Nah, I'm in WA. It's only 10 PM here.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  09:05:01
quote:

It's the same video card I have in my 840av, actually! Very good card, very fast and sharp color. All you need is Radius QuickColor 3.3, nothing else. Let me know if and when you need help getting it running!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  13:25:59
quote:
quote:

It's the same video card I have in my 840av, actually! Very good card, very fast and sharp color. All you need is Radius QuickColor 3.3, nothing else. Let me know if and when you need help getting it running!

Soon hopefully! it's en route via US post, with a power supply and some odds and ends.

I D/Led Radiusware 3.2.5... isn't 3.3 only for their PCI cards?

I'll sure let y'all know when it arrives. Anything special I should know about installing the sucker?

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  13:31:50
Actually, 3.3 was the newest version made for Radius Nubus video cards. It's all you need, and by that I mean it's all you should have installed. The other pieces of the Radius driver package are unneccessary and/or will cause problems in anything above System 7.

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  17:37:38
I've got high bid on a RasterOps 24si.
I've never really used anything other than mobo video before, can someone give me some basics?

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  18:46:09
quote:

Yeah, I hate it. I'd give it pretty bad marks for case design. It took me like 15 minutes to put a simm in mine the other day. I could do it faster on my iMac. It was such a pain to get the mobo lined up again. Argh

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  13:58:30
quote:

I've got high bid on a RasterOps 24si.
I've never really used anything other than mobo video before, can someone give me some basics?

00014 Macs liberated.

No offense or anything, but from LEM's page on it, the 24si seems pretty weak. It's QuickDraw acclerated, but can only display 640x480...just thought i'd let you know...

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 28 Feb 2002 13:58:52Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  18:15:11
Yeah, I checked out that page. This one comes with all the drivers, and I'll put them on the Hotline server for people who have the software license but no drivers.

Besides, the only monitors I have only do 640x480...
Another video card and monitor and I can play Hornet in Panoramic!!!

00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  05:30:03
quote:
Actually, 3.3 was the newest version made for Radius Nubus video cards. It's all you need, and by that I mean it's all you should have installed. The other pieces of the Radius driver package are unneccessary and/or will cause problems in anything above System 7.

can you give me a url for this Cine? I can't seem to track down anything later than 3.2.5.

BTW, the card arrived today (along with my new power supply... YAY!), and wow! what a difference. With acceleration turned on, windowshades zip up and down almost as fast as on the G4 at work, and redraws are noticably faster too.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  09:12:15
Download this. After the download's complete, trash everything except for QuickColor (3.3), and put it in your system folder. It's that simple.

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  01:38:49
quote:
Download this.

Got it. Thank you.

C

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
1 Powermac 6100

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  02:33:43
Interesting how w i n d o w s gets censored - even in a word like Windowshade which is definitely Mac terminology!

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2002 :  00:51:07
quote:

Interesting how w i n d o w s gets censored - even in a word like Windowshade which is definitely Mac terminology!

68k MLA ParaMedic

Or...

Just wait a sec, its starting to rain, so i need to close the windows in the living room.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

hylas
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  11:10:00
Great Forum,
Thanks for the Radius DL, have a 660AV that I'm building for a DJ/musician friend whos been trying to get a computer and is not exactly wealthy, he's a Windows type who thinks that you configure for an hour - do 15 mins. work - look for drivers FOR HOURS yadayada and has been "just one more thinged to death".
Such is human perversity.
I got the Radius card up without the ext. , just to show it to him - he's like *WOW* It still crashes in 8.1 but this should do the trick.
Google search "RadiusWare 3.2.5" first try.

ALSO
Think we could organize a 68k CD set or site that is a repository for all that is JUST 68K? I find things and I know most all do too - it could save alot of redundancy searching.

It said Windows 95 or better - so I got a Mac.
10 Macs saved ...Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.