1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  16:43:23
quote:

Have you done it?
Are you interested?
I'm installing tonight on a Quadra 630.
Reports will Follow.
Marchie out.

Aye! Done it on a... Quadra 630 myself!. It runs well well well - if you're ok with doing most everything on a command line, it's even better!. Some of the gui stuff works pretty decently, but some is obviously not as optimised for macs as the native macOS.

Mine is Debian with a 2.2.19 kernel, and about all thats installed at the moment is Apache, and a few other unix apps I've gotten used to over a few years. It runs it -exceptionally- well...

dana

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  17:53:59
What sort of GUI do Linux distros for 68k's have? Is it KDE, GNOME or just XFree86? I would install Linux on one of my 68k's, but I don't think that I would be able to handle a CLI-only OS.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  17:59:05
quote:

What sort of GUI do Linux distros for 68k's have? Is it KDE, GNOME or just XFree86? I would install Linux on one of my 68k's, but I don't think that I would be able to handle a CLI-only OS.

Under debian I ran Gnome for a little while - and tried a few other very very basic window managers just sitting on top of X, which were nice enough. Gnome had no speed problems - I even ran mozilla under it, which worked a bit sluggish considering what it was doing, but considering the machine it was on - I was stunned.

I did try enlightenment - and I ran screaming. What an amazingly badly made gui, a resource hog, and multiple copies of features that just made me feel like I was in a bizarre alternate version of Windows.

Do I sound like I didn't like it? :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  20:51:02

I'll be running Linux68k on my Quadra 700 as soon as I get a small, external SCSI HD to put it on...

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  20:50:04
Is there a 68k version of KDE? I've seen some screenshots of it, and it looks really cool, a lot like MacOS 8+.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  15:49:14
well... KDE is open source, and works on Intel, Solaris, and PPC... and all ti REALLY requires is Linux... so technically it's just a recompile... but GODS that compile would take days...

Sounds like a good idea if I can get the hard drive space :-)

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  22:27:23
Would you be able to compile the KDE source code with CodeWarrior under 7.5.3 and use it later under Linux, or would you have to use gcc under Linux?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  23:18:01
quote:

Would you be able to compile the KDE source code with CodeWarrior under 7.5.3 and use it later under Linux, or would you have to use gcc under Linux?

do it under linux - compiling is quick there :P. besides, thats the environment it's meant to run under.

Usually with a linux compile, you extract the source to a folder somewhere, go into the folder and do...

./configure

to configure the compiler options to your machine then...

make

to do the make script. and then you wander away for an hour or so on a 68k, and come back when it's done :D. after that do:

make install

and it'll install it all. Thats the usual way anyhoo - more often there is a README file that you read first - mostly it just tells you the above...

dana

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  01:28:11
Does Debian 2.1 run on a 68x0?

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2002 :  06:13:57

A thing I'm going to try one day is to run Basilisk II 68k emu on a 68040 mac using Linux.

Basilisk II should run in native mode (no 68k to x86 instruction translation required) so it should nearly be as fast as running MacOS in the usual way.

I know there is a 68k bsd version of Basilisk around using native mode.

Compiling Basilisk on 68k Linux with the native mode option enabled should work as far as I can see.

Of course the mac has to have a fair bit of memory and free disk space for the hfv volume that Basilisk uses.

With that setup you can bounce between Linux and MacOS without rebooting or anything like that.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.