68k Conquests
 BabyQuadra - one lil ol 700
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  13:59:01
Yay! the ebay Q700 arrived. It's cute!. Cuter than a IIci/cx anyhoo. I know technically it's not the kind to call a liberation - especially as this one is in pretty decent condition - looking at it a little it seems that it was bought, turned on... and then sold to me! The dust inside though is definitely a cigarette smoker's - it smells like my old 8100 and it's a bit sticky through the whole of the insides. Not to worry, that can be my cleaning job for the day!.

20Mb ram and 230Mb HD is pretty usable - and it seems to have been used as a scanning station as thats the only big app installed apart from OS 7.1. Don't people do odd things to their macs? I doubleclicked the Macintosh HD icon and find... system folder. ooookay. Check inside there, and there's the scanning software, a few utils, and a docs folder. The Extensions folder looked a bit big at 22Mb, and... hey! it's full of scans. heh. There's some digital cleaning to go on here I think. What a nice little router someday... Now to find a NuBus ethernet card and external 56k modem...

dana (counting this as a liberation for abuse of the System and Extension folders... so there!)

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  15:26:58
What you need is an AAUI-to-RJ45 adpater, not a Nubus ethernet card! The 700's have onboard AAUI ethernet ports, and besides, you don't want to use up half of your Nubus slots, do you???

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  16:46:54
quote:

What you need is an AAUI-to-RJ45 adpater, not a Nubus ethernet card! The 700's have onboard AAUI ethernet ports, and besides, you don't want to use up half of your Nubus slots, do you???

But then when I have broadband coming in I can have it reach the 700 and then... then... localtalk to the rest of the network? :D

For now I could do without the 2nd ethernet, but eventually...

I don't think it's a valid 'liberation' either. Now the dust is gone this is an absolutely immaculate mac!.

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  17:03:27
Oh sorry, I didn't realize you wanted to use it as a router! Yeah, then you'll need at least one, if not two, nubus ethernet cards.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  17:38:28
quote:

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you wanted to use it as a router! Yeah, then you'll need at least one, if not two, nubus ethernet cards.

are hubs expensive in aus, or is a router better for what you are describing? my dsl modem attaches to the uplink on my hub and i could access from anywhere on the network as i understand it (not much).

jt2

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  17:59:34
Yes hubs are expensive. The same as RAM, SCSI hard drives and computers...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:03:27
quote:

are hubs expensive in aus, or is a router better for what you are describing? my dsl modem attaches to the uplink on my hub and i could access from anywhere on the network as i understand it (not much).

That would be certainly possible - but for me its the easy way out :D. I'd prefer to have the connection going into one box, which does the routing (or... the same as natd on OSX) and firewalling, and running everything else on top - mainly cos I haven't setup a linux firewall before.

As for oz broadband as well - you're technically allowed to only connect one machine to the connection for telstra adsl... no multiple ip's etc, so running a NATd of some kind seems the way to go - whcih is exactly what I do with the imac. If I could do that with a 68k however, all the better.

I'm probably just making life harder for myself, but thats the nature of this lil danabeastie

And as for hubs - $90 australian for my 8-port... $45US

dana (grrr!)

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:17:23
I've been looking for a 4 port 10 meg hub, 2nd hand, nothing fancy, for $20-30 for some time now. But, nothing doing...

00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  23:56:24
quote:

I've been looking for a 4 port 10 meg hub, 2nd hand, nothing fancy, for $20-30 for some time now. But, nothing doing...

00013 Macs liberated.

same here.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  00:40:31
quote:

quote:

same here.

There's one on oz ebay at the moment - it's at $30 now, with one day to go...

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  04:00:54
quote:

Yay! the ebay Q700 arrived. It's cute!.

And I'm posting with it now.

woohoo!

dana (bored)

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  06:11:01
quote:

quote:

Yay! the ebay Q700 arrived. It's cute!.

And I'm posting with it now.

woohoo!

dana (bored)

woohoo! . . .
indeed, sounds sweet!

jt2 (still sleepy)

c[font=68kMLA]c[/font=68kMLA]cc

Edited by - alcoa on 27 Feb 2002 06:20:00Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.