All Forums
 Lounge
 The Swimsuit Issue Thread (MCP's only)
Author Topic  
alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  08:33:48
i was thumbing thru . . . my favorite sports column at the checkout line in the supermarket this morning, to check out . . . errr . . my favorite teams linup this year and . . found myself disgusted with the off season trades and put the issue back on the rack. i think there's . . ? . ! . *yeah that's it!* power missing from the lineup and i don't think . . *bunch of anorexic jailbait!* um . . . well . . . i could be wrong i guess, maybe the issue needs further consideration.

i don't usually mean to be any more politically correct than necessary, but sometimes i can't help myself. i don't think it's a good idea to have . . . athletes as role models for the youth of america . . . er . . . who seem like they must be using performance enhancing drugs to . . . stay in competitive form.

*okay, maybe i won't get flamed too badly for putting it that way*

jt2 8-b . . . . .

*oink!*

Edited by - alcoa on 25 Feb 2002 08:38:35

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  08:57:23
I must say I have to agree. Think of all the 68k's that could be saved if resources weren't being wasted on sports (had to make it relevant somehow! ).

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  09:13:33
quote:

I must say I have to agree. Think of all the 68k's that could be saved if resources weren't being wasted on sports (had to make it relevant somehow! ).

why, it's the lounge? besides, that team is on topic in any forum not directly affiliated with ms. magazine. i think i managed to make part of the message acceptable even there!

i'm gonna go back and buy it eventually, i like to wait for a while so as to . ? . build up . . . . uh? . ! . some enthusiasm for the start of the new season!

jt

p.s. hey, cine', have you checked out aa's forums? the load times for their pages are abominable with my G-4 on a freakin' dsl line! the only image that was worth the wait was seeing ghallager giving cake a pounding! *it's too bad he was using the sledge-o-matic for it tho . . . *

back again, almost forgot: *oink!*

p.p.s. when was the last time amybody saw the phrase: "male chauvinist pig" in print?

Edited by - alcoa on 25 Feb 2002 09:19:34Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  09:48:32
You mean AppleAddict, right? Yeah, I've been posting over there since late last week. It's becoming sort of a neutral ground between the MAF and MacMonkey, which is nice.

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  10:16:28
quote:

It's becoming sort of a neutral ground between the MAF and MacMonkey, which is nice.

translation please, i'm really not even all that familiar with unplugged, what gives?

jt2

if anybody needs to know why we shouldn't have graphics, check that forum out.

btw, i still think our own font of emoticons and sig graphics is a much better approach, a set of recommended fonts (standard ones) for use with the forum would also be excellent, that way we can be sure our posts will look the way we intend. i hereby volunteer to assemble the 68kMLA secret decoder dingbat font. it should give insiders graphic capabilities and come up as default font character substitutions in the browsers of outsiders. simple (postscript filled path outlines, NO strokes or fills maybe limit each graphic to about 32 simple objects and a simpler 16 object alternate for a trial run) graphics from freehand, illustrator, or corel draw will past/import right into fontographer, e-mail some samples to me and we can experiment.

what do you say, ~coxy? might be worth a shot. it'll put us on the map as innovators if it works and hasn't been tried yet (anybody got info?) maybe this part of my post should be in the web site forum, but that's been a wasteland, i'll edit/move it if requested, or do it yourself if you want to/can. this'll be just like the old days when fontographer was the only illustration program available!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  10:27:06
quote:
translation please, i'm really not even all that familiar with unplugged, what gives?

Well, for years there has been bad blood between MAF and MMF (MacAddict Forums and MacMonkey Forums). Full-scale Forum-Wars have even erupted! Within the last year or so, things have been fairly decent, and many folks even mingle between the two. Meanwhile, both sites have been plagued by unexpected outages, which in a way sort of formed an empathy between them. So, AppleAddict was a grass roots attempt to create a new Forum site that was free from the restirctions of MAF (which the Monkies often criticise) and yet isn't quite as "balls-to-the-wall" as MMF (which MAF-folks often criticise).

quote:
if anybody needs to know why we shouldn't have graphics, check that forum out.

btw, i still think our own font of emoticons and sig graphics is a much better approach...

The folks who're running AppleAddict have been trimming down some of the excess graphics, even since last week it's become quicker. Trust me, though, it's musch better than MacMonkey, where you could spend all day trying to read one thread!

Anyway, I still think our Forums should remain as clean and as a simple as possible, even though most of the members don't actually browse the 'board on 68k's! Maybe greyscale or bitmap avatars would be a good idea? I dunno.

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  10:55:10
quote:

Maybe greyscale or bitmap avatars would be a good idea? I dunno.

a complex font character drawn over a scanned template or from scratch in fontographer and generated as a type 3 postscript font (black and white line art, unencrypted) was the only way to get postscript based logos and illustrations to output to laserwriters until illustrator was released.

by using that old trick, you can embed graphics into a post with no overhead except the processing/transfer/decoding/display from installed system font of the standard command parameters already in use on the forum for the formatting of one additional ascii character.

i just think it's worth a shot, i'm not convinced you would notice any performance hit on a mac plus, it's a case of wringing everything out of what you're already set up to do, way before the rest of the crowd catches on. been there, done that, wore out a coupla' of freakin' t-shirts already!*

*not braggin', it's the truth in two documented instances

*. . . well maybe just a little . . . war stories are ok, tho, right? *

jt2

btw: thanks for the "skinny" on the forum upheavals. *shakes head, ho freakin' hum, i just don't get it . . . yawns* people are funny . . . . . at best!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  11:59:02
That's a good idea, JT, I hadn't thought of that. What I want to know, though, is how the end user is going to display the character correctly if they don't have that corresponding font installed in their system?

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  12:10:34
quote:

That's a good idea, JT, I hadn't thought of that. What I want to know, though, is how the end user is going to display the character correctly if they don't have that corresponding font installed in their system?

that's the point, if people e-mail the graphics to me, i assemble a font and we post it for download or send it with intro's and faq's to new recruits, and everybody installs the 68kMLA secret decoder dingbat font on their systems if they so desire, if they don't want to or have not yet installed it, they will see a lower case "c" with whatever formatting you have specified for your assigned ascii character (you get dibs on if you want "c" cuz i say so) in their browser's default substitution font.

no fuss, no muss, very little overhead, anybody could define "c" in the dingbat font in a posting, but honor system/peer pressure should keep everybody in line.

i hope this is clear enough, i have trouble with explanations sometimes *duh!*

jt2

p.s. is the point lost on you that we can't manage to stay on topic in a thread we started ourselves, even when the freakin' subject of discussion is T&A? *this is just too much! ROTFLMAO*

Edited by - alcoa on 25 Feb 2002 12:38:33Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  12:41:58
Ahh, I see! You're plan makes perfect sense. We just have to go around and see what everbody wants as a bitmap avatar...

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  13:18:25
quote:

Ahh, I see! You're plan makes perfect sense. We just have to go around and see what everbody wants as a bitmap avatar...

thank you, i thought it was a fairly clever way to introduce graphics without clogging bandwidth or requiring support from anything more complicated than the first revs of ATM under system 6.

i'm still not sure we're talking about the same thing though, maybe a bitmapped screen font is doable and may have some advantages, but i think that a scalable postscript dingbat font makes more sense, but that's all i am really familiar with. can you give me a link to a spec. for "bitmap avatars" so i can learn a little about them, please.

a trial run of some military symbols and custom emoticons would make a good test font, but a few sig "avatars" should included also.

jt

p.s. how about them skinny bab . . . . err . . rookies?

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  17:38:37
*notice this thread is just cine and jt chatting*

get a room!

(but alas, jt, you are a dinosaur...)

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  17:57:23
quote:

*notice this thread is just cine and jt chatting*

get a room!

(but alas, jt, you are a dinosaur...)

actually, i was looking forward to a lively discussion, lots of double entendre, insinuation, and creative writing, but there were lots of readers but no posts.

i guess nobody else follows sports.

*or can understand my inept use of .txt*

jt: technosaur

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  18:14:21
I understand!

To those who do NOT, here is a "simpler" definition:

Notice that you can change the font of your posts by useing UBB code ala

[font=FontName] foo bar [/font] 

Well, if we make a "68k MLA Font" and even "68kMLA font 2", then each person could get their own character.

Look at Zapf Dingbats or WIngDings on your system. There are all sorts of little pictures. In the 68k font, the Shift-M on your keyboard might produce a little bunny rabbit head, since Shift-M would be "Marchie's Avatar".

I like it... Do it Alcoa!

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  18:37:41
quote:

I understand!

To those who do NOT, here is a "simpler" definition:

Notice that you can change the font of your posts by useing UBB code ala

[font=FontName] foo bar [/font] 

Well, if we make a "68k MLA Font" and even "68kMLA font 2", then each person could get their own character.

Look at Zapf Dingbats or WIngDings on your system. There are all sorts of little pictures. In the 68k font, the Shift-M on your keyboard might produce a little bunny rabbit head, since Shift-M would be "Marchie's Avatar".

I like it... Do it Alcoa!

thanks, Marchie, i will.

and thanks for the translation and tutorial.

but first, spec a dingbat font that everybody should already have or can download the same version from a link (i can't do hotline, newbie b me!) and we can start testing right away!

jt

p.s. when i suggested this before, was the description indecipherable?

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  07:30:48
This sounds like a really great idea. The only question I have is, wouldn't an outline font look pretty bad when written to the screen. I thought wingdings and all the other picture fonts used tables of bitmaps for the different point sizes to use for drawing to the screen.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  07:39:41
I have dibs on a little image of a keyboard (HTML 4 life) or perhaps a picture of a 68040...but a little tiny character wouldn't do that purple-esque processor justice

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  13:33:41
quote:

quote:

testing:font=68kMLA-0
[font=68kMLA-0]
c
[/font]

Edited by - alcoa on 26 Feb 2002 11:21:39

Edited by - alcoa on 26 Feb 2002 11:27:37

Edited by - alcoa on 26 Feb 2002 12:31:15

AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Edited by - alcoa on 26 Feb 2002 12:42:54

testing:font=68kMLA-0
[font=68kMLA-0]
c
[/font]

testing:font=68kMLA
[font=68kMLA]
c
[/font]

testing:font=68kMLA0
[font=68kMLA0]
c
[/font]

enough of you guys peeked in to watch me struggling, woulda' been nice if somebody'd said hi! an explanation of UBB's fontname req. would be really nice, does it want file, printer, display, or screenfont names. i think it wants the display name of a truetype font, but does it need to be installed somewhere besides the system folder? netscape 4.73, G-4/466 os 9.1.

*now i'm responding to myself*

jt2

Edited by - alcoa on 26 Feb 2002 14:31:59

Edited by - alcoa on 26 Feb 2002 15:26:32

Edited by - alcoa on 26 Feb 2002 15:44:25

Edited by - alcoa on 26 Feb 2002 15:47:03Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  13:23:20
hi.

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  17:23:11
Why do you post worthless replies rawr? Just to pad your post count?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  19:23:08
ah, ~Coxy, pay attention.

Jt asked why didn't someone say hi...

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  21:18:33
Whoops... I hereby withdraw my statement as applying to the post above and apologise.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  13:50:31
man, this started as a nice chat about athletes (swimmers I would guess from the looks of their uniforms) and then devolved into a rabid discussion of fonts, and in it's final incarnation has become a miscommunication slugfest.
Can't we go back to the part about... er.. water sports?

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  13:58:01
quote:

Can't we go back to the part about... er.. water sports?

sure!

jt =8-b... . . . . . . . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.