All Forums
 Balloon Help
 O GOD HELP ME!
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  02:48:13
ok I know everyone warned me, but my 6300 has taken a fatal crap. It starts on get through the extensions then comes up wth a error saying that it has had a illegal instruction, then ived tried turing off extensions and control panels using shift on start up and it says bus error right before it loads the desktop. The only thing I did before i restarted the machine before it died was install Cyberdog(could Apple had stabbed me in the back!!!) Help me get her back up I know its not pure 68 power but I need my TV! Thank goodness I have my trust worthy 68040 Quadra 610 for back up Can anyone please help me??!!

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  02:50:32
Just to add I have tried a 8.1 boot disk and that did not work, and I don't have a bootable cd to use ether.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  05:25:09
Must be a hardware problem...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  06:54:43
quote:

Must be a hardware problem...

first thing to do with a crazy hardware problem is "reseat the boards" (ancient mainframe troubleshooting ritual), unplug and replug every connector, simm, card, cable, power connector and anything else that you can think of that has a connection that might possibly be just a little flaky. if that doesn't work pull the cpu (carefully, IF it's socketed, i'm not familiar with that mobo) and reseat that (might want to try pushing it firmly into its socket on the first run thru). chips can work their way up out of their sockets from the thermal expansion and contraction during powerup/down cycling. over a period of years they can work their way up enough to cause intermittent connection failures (tech support routine from a very technically savvy sign making eqpt. mfr.).

did you check for reset switches or routines in the documentation?

jt2

you're getting awefully far along in the boot process

Edited by - alcoa on 25 Feb 2002 06:57:31Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  07:28:55
I have had the exact same thing happen to me on an Imac and a g3 tower. It was caused by adding an extention (Extention list 1.05) that corrupted my system suitcase, but I guess that since you can't boot off of a CD, that is not the problem in your case.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  17:26:00
Well see you are right heres the story, last night I ripped her down and did what Trash80 told me to and nothing, I managed to get a boot floppy that works, 7.5.5, so I now had access I put in my multi OS cd and I could not install cause my dumb friend scratched it up. I went to school and cam e home called Graphite Goodness and he told be what Anubis just said, btw when I said I could not boot off a cd I meant I do not have any cds with a mac os on them, so then I was able to install the bare system and finder with the cd before the installer crashed and now I am typing from her Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  20:29:16
I'd hate to do this, but this thread has to be locked (*ahem* namely because the topic of this thread is a Power Mac 6300...)

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.