Lounge
 Happy Birthday!!!
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  10:08:46
Yup Yup Yup
Today marks the birth of one of the greatest men to walk the earth. Happy Birthday Steve!!

<insert happy birthday song>

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  15:39:28
Wait are we talking Steve from the Dell commercials? :-p

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  16:18:20
quote:

Wait are we talking Steve from the Dell commercials? :-p

nah! gotta be the woz, sure hope it's not the idiot in the black turtleneck that he's describing that way.

jt2

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  17:11:27
Oh no, it is Jobs. Woz's is where we must light candles, meditate and sing lots of happy mac songs. Not to mention all the cake and party favors. Jobs just gets a card in the mail. Nothing big. :-P

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  17:31:05
quote:

Oh no, it is Jobs. Woz's is where we must light candles, meditate and sing lots of happy mac songs. Not to mention all the cake and party favors. Jobs just gets a card in the mail. Nothing big. :-P

well . . . ok then * thpppppppp! 8-P *. . . but can we burn ballmer in effigy on his?

jt

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  19:25:58
quote:

... can we burn ballmer in effigy on his?
- jt

Why wait until then?

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  20:47:41
quote:

Jobs just gets a card in the mail. Nothing big. :-P

A card and a salad.

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  08:00:03
quote:

. but can we burn ballmer in effigy on his?

jt

Only an effigy?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  08:09:06
quote:

quote:

. but can we burn ballmer in effigy on his?

jt

Only an effigy?

jus'wanna stay out of jail 'til uberdork's turn comes up. *shhhhhh!*

jt2

*better close down 'scape, i got a pile of layouts i should be doin' . .*

*naaaah!*

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  22:07:55
I can't stand Jobs. Woz was the one that gave Apple a soul. He simply did things to see if it could be done. The genius of Woz is that he was able to keep his childlike "wonder" as an adult. Apple needs someone like Woz, not to design stuff but to do "honest" marketing. I was reviewing all the models Apple has made over the years and all the goofs done after the Woz left/stayed. I am looking at the new Imac (desk lamp) and I am scratching my head. Where is the expandability? What if I want a 17" or 20" LCD? Where is the third party support? Why isn't OSX backward compatable with my program? Where is the chain to my new Imac (desk lamp) to turn it off? :)

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  17:54:12
Jobs was the one who actually built the company. Woz built computers, not corporations, and without Apple we'd still be buying breadboards and 8088 processors with BASIC...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:01:47
Woz is a brilliant electrical engineer, but he lacks the (as much as I hate to say this) business and marketing expertise that Jobs has. You may bash Jobs (he does make mistakes), but keep in mind that he saved Apple and produced some really cool computers.
BTW, has anyone seen "Pirates of Silicon Valley"? That was a cool movie.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:10:12
quote:

Woz is a brilliant electrical engineer, but he lacks the (as much as I hate to say this) business and marketing expertise that Jobs has. You may bash Jobs (he does make mistakes), but keep in mind that he saved Apple and produced some really cool computers.

Thats how it seems to me - I like Woz a lot for his neat down-to-earth-interested-in-everything... it's a bit like alla our interests in the 68k's. I like Jobs for his push-a-company-to-make-truly-unique-stuff. Without Jobs apple would have beige G4's in plain towers, and instead of an iMac I might have a Beige G3 with a generic brand monitor on top. iMacs are cool for what they are - a big break with tradition. Both Jobs and Woz have that, I think - in their respective ways.

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  19:27:15
quote:

BTW, has anyone seen "Pirates of Silicon Valley"? That was a cool movie.

POSV was very cool, if you want to learn about computer development, read "birth of a computer" by tracey kidden, great read. what i can't stand about jobs is that he's an arrogant sob (like me, so we wouldn't get along), who has a great record of almost getting apple into the bid leagues, but keeps taking away the expandability or when he lets them put some in he's keeping all the interface specs in flux so cards are too expensive to really pay to develop or buy so he says our customers don't use them so why should we. . . . STOOOOPID! if nothing else, the perceived value of macs is atrocius to the general public. had there been two more (standardized) slots, two open bays and two higher video resolutions supported on every mac ever shipped, i think we'd be at least into double digit market share.

but i'm a confirmed slot/bay/pixel addict.

and weasels like jobs are an absolute necessity to get anything done, but woz shoulda' kicked his ass a coupla times, we'd all be better off, turtleneck most of all!

imho, of course,
jt2

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  07:30:14
Anyone remember the Revenge of the Nerds special that PBS ran 5 or 6 years ago. It was fairly good as well (Not as entertaining as Pirates, but it covered a bunch of companys other than Apple). The new Imac looks like a very cool looking computer, but one that will break the second I try to push it very hard. I had an older Imac that burned up a year ago, but my bland and boring beige G3, which was both older and much more heavily used, is still solid. I had an Airport base station that burned up as well.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  17:30:29
Must be some bad karma...

Why would a new iMac break? It seems very solid to me.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  19:20:50
Actually the only way I can see it would break is if you (stupidly) hit it with something hard, with quite a bit of force, or just plain dropped it... but I don't have one so I cant really say. Not to sound bad or go against you guys but, Jobs, as much of a jerk as he may be, did more for Apple than in my opinion anyone else did. Just look he started a company, got fired from it, created a new computer company (NeXT), then turned around and sold the almost bankrupt NeXT to Apple and made more money, then finished off OS X ... Which would not be here if it weren't for him. For that I give him credit.

Christophillis-
Sergeant First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  07:49:54
The Imac probably did fail becuse of bad karma (The power supply overheated). The base station failed becuse of a common flaw, the capicitors were only rated at 85 degrees celisus, and the tempatures inside the base station were more than that. At the time it failed, Apple was not reparing them for free if they were out of warranty, but of course, a week after I opened it up myself and replaced the capicitors, Apple started fixing them for free. They failed within two months of each other, and it freaked me out enough that I went and installed extra cooling fans in the G3 tower.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.